1st attempt at Dr Pepper Technique =S

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st attempt at Dr Pepper Technique =S

Hey everyone, Have just attempted my 1st 1 Litre batch of bio using the Dr pepper technique mentioned above, Was wondering if i might be able to get some input into what I might be doing wrong??

1. I'm ti-rating as per Chopstick method (Using Tumeric) and im getting a Tiration of 2... this is where i think i might be going wrong, 2 seems a little to good for WVO, but I've tirated 3 times...

2. I'm mixing 250ml of race grade Methanol mixed with 7g's of 98% pure sodium hydroxide

3. I'm then throwing a litre of oil + methoxide into a pepsi bottle and shaking it for about 40 seconds

Problem I'm having is that it doesnt seperate... changes to the Darker brown (looks exactly like pepsi), i wait for maybe 2 - 3 hours and there no seperation at all

Just wondering if theres any tips or tricks that i might be missing

Cheers CCD

Re: 1st attempt at Dr Pepper Technique =S

CCD,

if it stays runny and doesn't turn to snot or soap, then it sounds like you might be a bit light-on with your caustic.

7g's would normally be ample. however; if the oil is over-used, it may not be enough.

the only difference to what you are doing to what I do with 200 litre batches is the application of heat. I have never done a doctor pepper, but I reckon you wouldn't want to heat it up before putting it in a soft drink bottle.

You are using excess methanol, 20% is more than ample. i.e. 1 litre of oil = 200ml of meth.

The other possibility is you aren't mixing your sodium methoxide properly before adding it to the oil. It should get quite hot, and all lumps of caustic should be dissolved prior to adding it to the oil.

Go back to the recipe again and have a close look to see where you are going wrong. the recipe does work, and it works beautifully.

remember the rule of 6P's.

Prior Preparation Prevents P!ss Poor Performance. Have another crack and see how you go..

Comment

I titrated new corn oil at 0.66, so a titration of 2 wouldn't surprise me.

Comment

Of course the shape of a Dr Pepper has been scientifically optomized for the production of biodiesel. However, a Pepsi bottle should be OK in a pinch.
        My WVO typically titrates under 2.
        What was the oil like after sitting for 2 hours

Comment

Cheers for the pointers guys

I think that i may not be dissolving the hydroxide well enough, I left the bottle over night and have ended up with some form of floating goop in the middle of the bottom,
          Thing is i can see bits of hydroxide caught in it so i think i may of found my problem

I'm assuming one takes the hydroxide, throws it in the methanol and stir for a while??

Comment

Success!!

Cheers everyone

I've made 2 successfully separating test batches now... not entirely sure what i was doing wrong initially, i think it was a combination of improperly mixed methoxide and to cold an oil but it all seems to working okay now

Comment

Congratulations on your success.
              I have made a note of those 2 litres of biodiesel you made.
              Only 53,457 more litres this year and you start paying royalties.

Comment

Originally posted by CCD View Post
                Cheers for the pointers guys

I think that i may not be dissolving the hydroxide well enough, I left the bottle over night and have ended up with some form of floating goop in the middle of the bottom,
                Thing is i can see bits of hydroxide caught in it so i think i may of found my problem

I'm assuming one takes the hydroxide, throws it in the methanol and stir for a while??
                Agree titration of 2 is about right for good oil.
                No you can't leave the methoxide overnight. Don't ask me why.
                Use warm oil, 40 -50 deg C
                Stir it? no, shake the sh*t out of it.
                Don't forget to put royalty money aside for Tilley
                Johnnojack
                4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 200000km on WVO,(2020) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids FPHE, heated filter fuel line and tank pickup for thicker oil. Mk. 9 version now and no changes planned as trouble free.
                Mercedes W201 190D 1986 model: 2 tank system, bigger fuel line from tank, no heat exchanger, electric pump for diesel 22000km so far sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnojack View Post
                  No you can't leave the methoxide overnight. Don't ask me why.
                  You can store methoxide over night or pretty much any length of time if it is in an air tight container.
                  Make sure it is a container that does not degrade over time when in contact with NaOH.
                  Specifically do not store methoxide in a PET bottle.
                  Don't forget to put royalty money aside for Tilley
                  Absolutely

Comment

CCD
                    Good job. My first thoughts where oil warm enough . But that,seams to be solved now.
                    An experience I had was the plastic bottles if not correctly looked after will degrade. Try not to mix the meth oxide in the plastic bottles because they really don,t like the sudden heat created by the reaction of mixing meth oxide. The bottle quickly forms holes and begins to spray meth oxide everywhere. Trust me, not a nice experience but I learnt really quickly to listen to the experience of the guys here in this forum.

Regards
                    Michael
                    97 Jeep XJ Cherokee on B100. 0 km's on B100 and counting !!!! (Sold)
                    2002 Merc ML270 now on B100. (Sold)
                    2006 Ssangyong Musso 2.9 t idi (Sold)
                    2015 NP300 Navara ( Sold )
                    2018 NP300 Navara ( B5 )

Stainless processor with blue water pump.
                    Tetragonula Hockingsi

Take the Leap and grow wings on the way down

Comment

Working...
                    X