• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    jkis

• jkis
    replied
    Re: 240V single-phase WVO pump?

the same seller has a smaller pump listed too, would it be feasible to run 2 smaller pumps at the same time, would you be able to finish of a batch if 1 motor broke down,
    2200w compared to 1500w of 2 smaller motors 750w each
    7,000 ltr ..................10,000 ltr
    cheers stuart

Leave a comment:

• gilfish

• gilfish
    replied

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Water-Pum...10760303994%26
    Hi Mark this is the pump i use now I have run it from cold wvo to hot approx 2-4 hrs, that is 190L of oil methoxide mix, it will empty the 190L in approx 75 seconds. I believe it is a peripheral pump made for water but robust enough to pump wvo. I have bought a second one after about 18 mths of use as my original developed a whole in the thin brass impellor I have now soldered a patch on the old one and use it as a spare.

Leave a comment:

• Dr Mark

• Dr Mark
    replied

Thanks for the tip Geoff. I used to have a similar one before and it worked faultlessly. Sometimes the cheapies are the best. The one that I bought, and that failed, cost me $300...

Leave a comment:

• Geoff

• Geoff
    replied

Hi Dr Mark,
    I've used the cheap China QB brand water pumps of e-bay for the last 5 years at least. I use it to transfer my oil from my hopper to my reactor and then mix my brew with it also. This is a QB80 brand pump, I also use the QB60 as a bio transfer pump and have had only one seal fail me over that time. I think the QB60 cost around $70 on E-bay.

Leave a comment:

• Dr Mark

• Dr Mark
    started a topic 240V single-phase WVO pump?

240V single-phase WVO pump?

I'm looking for a single-phase 240V pump that can pump room-temp WVO. This is not a transfer pump, but is to be used as a mixing pump, so it needs to have a decent flow rate.

The tricky thing is that because I'm using my room - temperature method, it needs to be able to pump WVO at ambient temperatures, which is of course considerably more viscous than if it's heated.

The plan is that I run the pump ff the outlet of an IBC, and recirculate back into the top. It doesn't need to supply high shear, or create a vortex, but just provide enough agitation to mix the lighter methoxide solution into the heavier WVO. I'd imagine a flow rate of at least 30-40L/min would be required.

I was foolish enough to try a water pump, and although it was plenty powerful enough, the internals of the pump were too small and I think I've burned it out. I've found a few pumps on EBay that look OK, but they're pretty exy.

Luckily, however, I have a backup plan - the IBC is in a 2T trailer, so after I add the methoxide I'm going to drive it around for a bit and hope that the movement will provide enough mixing to do the job.
Working...
X