You don't need to heat your WVO to make biodiesel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You don't need to heat your WVO to make biodiesel

Just in case anyone missed it, apparently you don't need to heat your wvo/methoxide mixture to make biodiesel (according to Tillyfromparadise)
    All the Base only reactions can be performed at room temperature. It has been done for years.
    The Dr Pepper method will be updated soon to take out this bit:

MAKING THE BIODIESEL!
    When the Oil's temp has dropped to 55 deg c or a bit less, using a funnel, pour the litre of oil into a DRY 2 litre Dr Pepper bottle (in a pinch any other brand of bottle will do).
    Take the mixture of methanol/NaOH (commonly called methoxide on this forum) and pour on top of the oil using the same funnel.
    Remove funnel.
    Screw the top down TIGHT onto the bottle.
    Shake vigerously for about ten seconds/ 40 good shakes.
    NO appreciable pressure is generated during this mixing.

Re: You don't need to heat your WVO to make biodiesel

Hi Mark,
    Originally posted by Dr Mark View Post
    The Dr Pepper method will be updated soon to take out this bit:

MAKING THE BIODIESEL!
    When the Oil's temp has dropped to 55 deg c or a bit less, using a funnel, pour the litre of oil into a DRY 2 litre Dr Pepper bottle (in a pinch any other brand of bottle will do).
    Take the mixture of methanol/NaOH (commonly called methoxide on this forum) and pour on top of the oil using the same funnel.
    Remove funnel.
    Screw the top down TIGHT onto the bottle.
    Shake vigerously for about ten seconds/ 40 good shakes.
    NO appreciable pressure is generated during this mixing.
    While I am aware that methanol does not start boiling until around 65deg C, I do not think I will change the instructions "wait until 55deg C or lower" to a higher temperature.

I like to insure beginners are working with a good margin of safety.
    tillyfromparadise
    Last edited by tillyfromparadise; 28 September 2013, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tillyfromparadise View Post
      Hi Mark,
      While I am aware that methanol does not start boiling until around 65deg C, I do not think I will change the instructions "wait until 55deg C or lower" to a higher temperature.

I like to insure beginners are working with a good margin of safety.
      Why not? If it will proceed at room temperature (like my method does) why would you heat it? Better still, why don't you post a YouTube clip of your method, which shows us that it will proceed at room temp?

Comment

Hi Mark,
        You have been very busy on this forum this afternoon.

Originally posted by Dr Mark View Post
        Why not? If it will proceed at room temperature (like my method does) why would you heat it?
        You seem to be confused. You are quoting from a section of the instructions where I had just said..."If using waste oil, take one litre and heat to at least 120 deg c to remove all water."
        So then yes, they need to wait until..."the Oil's temp has dropped to 55 deg c or a bit less,..."

Better still, why don't you post a YouTube clip of your method, which shows us that it will proceed at room temp?
        Unfortunatly I do not have a PhD in posting youtube videos.
        However, here is a 17 year old Maryland boy (I grew up in Maryland!!!) making a batch of biodiesel at room temperature Biodiesel- How to make Biodiesel

And here is a TV show showing a person making biodiesel at room temperature using a Fuelmeister. Truck Episode

If I can provide you with any further help just ask. I have a lot of experience.
        tillyfromparadise
        Last edited by tillyfromparadise; 22 October 2013, 09:21 PM.

Comment

Dr Mark; I suppose what you're getting at is the activation energy of the transesterification reaction, where the reaction proceeds at a reasonable, acceptable rate. So, what temperature might that be. I don't know myself. Since you're a doctor maybe you could shed some light on that for me. My last PhD chemistry professor retired, and I don't communicate with him much. Thanks

Comment

Working...
          X