Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2011 Prado + biodiesel???

Hi there,
    Im about to salary package a brand new 2011 edition Prado through my employer, and was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with the current model or knows anything about them with regards to biodiesel.

Ive searched the forums here but all the info is about older Prado's, and Im not familiar with them as to whether they have the same system.

I have been reliably informed by my local deisel mechanic that they have a good Denso fuel system in them now. Im looking at getting the 3.0lt (4cylinder common rail) turbo diesel, 6sp manaual.

Any info appreciated.

(if this has been discussed elsewhere, feel free to point me to the posting)

Cheers
    Angus.
    Have a nice day. :)
    AngusF

Re: 2011 Prado + biodiesel???

Mate you might want to check with Toyota as i think post 2010 they all run piezoelectric injectors that wont tolerate the viscosity difference of b100, being a company car though perhaps a good test if it doesn't cost you? regards andy

Comment

Originally posted by gilfish View Post
      Mate you might want to check with Toyota as i think post 2010 they all run piezoelectric injectors that wont tolerate the viscosity difference of b100, being a company car though perhaps a good test if it doesn't cost you? regards andy
      Yeah i'm thinking the same thing... plus they have the dreaded DPF!!...

Comment

Excuse my ignorance but why would you want to put bio in a salary packaged car, especially when most of the financial advantage in packaging is in the fuel?

Plus the 2011 model has a DFP, not sure the packaging people would be happy with that being removed.
        Maverick
        Canberra

Comment

Good point Mav having never had a vehicle on salary sacrifice I don't know the benefits. I would not like to destroy a good car but would be interesting to see what exactly happens with B100 in a modern dpf peizo car, about a year ago i did some viscosity testing on lard derived b100 and summer dino and it took 30% ULP to obtain the same viscosity quite a difference?

Comment

Yes, there's not only the packaging issues but the HP injectors from previous reports and investigation suggests 30% bio in those vehicles is about the upper limit.
            Maverick
            Canberra

Comment

I ran a common rail peugeot on B100 for 4 years 60K km, high pressure pump seals stopped me (oozing out) and apart from reduced power (timing) it ran fine. I know of another pug a year younger and higher power output that ran like a cut snake on B100 (again timing)

Material compatibility, good quality and it should work. No liability on my behalf, the tryer beware.
              Matt
              Last edited by Matt; 11 August 2011, 07:24 PM.
              Biodiesel Bandit

Landcruiser '98 80 series B100.

Comment

Thanks all for the info.

I figured that it would probably not be too suitable. As for the salary packaging of fuel, I would be buying the bio, not making it, so there would still be financial advantage in it. I would prefer to use bio as its better for the environment, but then I would probably be trading off my fuel economy of 8.8l/100km.

I was just interested if it had been done, or could be done effectively. I thought manufacturers were supposed to be making cars more environmentally friendly and running better on biofuels.

Thanks again for your responses.

Cheers
                Have a nice day. :)
                AngusF

Comment

Angus,
                  I thought manufacturers were supposed to be making cars more environmentally friendly and running better on biofuels.
                  Where did you get the idea that engine manufacturers actually cared a rats arss about the environment?
                  I believe that most have petroleum companies as major shareholders.

Regards,
                  Tony
                  Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
                  '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
                  '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
                  '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
                  '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
                  '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
                  '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
                  '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
                  '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
                  '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
                  '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
                  '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
                  '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
                  Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Working...
                  X