Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air leaks in the fuel system of my 100 series 1HZ

Forum,

Just thouight I would post this here as I beleive I have finally (YAY!!!) resolved the air leak situation. Bought a walbro pump off Matt, and installed the sucker just after the solenoid tank valves so its common to both tanks.

My god its good to finally put the foot down and not chugg my way off into the distance.

Also bought a CAV filter assembly, and will fit it when I have used up my Ryco filters that fit the toyota housing.

Not a huge increase in power, just smoothness of application. The engine runs so much better now the head has been reconditioned and the new IP has been fitted.

Think I can still advance the injection timing a littlle though as I am getting a fair bit of black smoke.

Thankyou everyone for their ideas and support.

Re: Air leaks in the fuel system of my 100 series 1HZ

Good to hear Cade,

Black smoke is too much fuel. Was the IP setup on a bench testing thingy by the IP repair shop? If so, the fuel supply should have been set at optimum by them.

You can adjust it yourself and wind back on the fuel a bit to knock off the black smoke.
    No harm in playing with the timing, but from what I've read, standard is pretty okay.

Alternatively, fitting a turbo will eat up all that black smoke :-)

Tim
    Toyota Landcruiser 1988 HJ61 Manual Wagon
    12H-T turbo Direct Injection.
    Twin Tank setup runs on 100% WVO after warm up. 30 plate FPHE with 80C output, 12mm fuel lines
    Start up and shut down electric fuel pump feeds IP direct.
    Front 4WDSytstems Lokka, Rear ARB airlokka for quick escapes up sandhills. Performance GTurbo with 600mm FMIC gives 450nm @ 1700rpm at 20psi boost.

Comment

Hi Tim,

Would love to fit a turbo as discussed before, but it is hard to justify to the minister of war and finance.....

About the black smoke thing, yes, you are correct, and over fueling was my first thought too, but like yourself, I assumed that the shop would have got it right. That's why i kind of feel that I may be a little retarded in my injection timing, which would also create the same effect? - i.e. a late and incomplete burn?

I just need to a have a fiddle with a spanner and a stop watch! (and another keen eye to look for smoke!). if that doesn't fix it, I will have a crack at the fuel screw.

Comment

You need to read the thread about percentage signs on the forum, your sig is not showing up correctly. Good to hear, there are good posts about fuellinig on the lcool.org site in the technical section, mainly on turbo models but it may assist.
        Biodiesel Bandit

Landcruiser '98 80 series B100.

Comment

Signature fixed. Old School way.

Comment

Well on Sunday I fiddled with the IP timing, and got rid of most of the black smoke. Doesnt sound sound quite so gutteral now either. no doubt there is further refinement I could do, but am pretty happy with it overall.

Looking forward to changing out my toyota filter sytem for the CAV system.

Will start bubble washing soon too.

Cheers to all,

Cade.

Comment

Are u happy with the cav filter? I went to Diesel Australia at Springwood to buy a cav adapter for the wife's 100 series but one of their mechanics talked me out of it - said the micron rating on the factory filter is lower and I would need to halve the service interval on the cav filters as they are a lot smaller than the standard Z380. He also reckoned the cav assembly would be more restrictive and may cause ip problems down the track, maybe a pusher pump could help? Didn't think to ask at the time. Anyway I was impressed cos he didn't get any money off me so it seemed like honest advice.
              2001 Holden Rodeo 100,000km B100
              2001 Landcruiser HZJ105 130,000km B100

Comment

Cav assembly is no more restrictive that factory, I saw a test to show this at Cooma Diesel numerous years ago, just before I started using CAV filters on an 80 and now on a 100 series. I beleive they filter finer than the factory filter too. Only issue is they are smaller and do not holdl as much rubbish as the OEM but are a lot cheaper.

Go for it, are you running b100 in the wifes 100 series, if so then it may well strip off whatever is lining the tank, you will get through it but you use a few filters in the process. Just my expereince.
                Biodiesel Bandit

Comment

Well the awesome news is I fitted the cav filter and it goes like a complete rocket now. Hve been running it for a month or so and it is a completely different car to drive. With regard to Matt's comments on the cav assembly and smaller filters, there is an easy fix.

On the top of the housing that the filter attaches to are 4 ports. 2 in and 2 out. the 4 ports are just so you have more flexibility with installation and routing hoses etc. the ports have little arrows on them inidcating the direction of fuel flow. all you have to do is reverse it (i.e. use the exit port for fuel in and in the in port for fuel out). The cav filter has a big hole up the guts which the long assembly bolt goes through, which also is supposed to transport the fuel up and out of the filter assembly after its been filtered. If you do it the other way as i suggest, the dirty fuel will go down through the hole unfiltered, and any heavy stuff will settle out in the glass bowl before it goes up through the filter and off to the engine. end result is that you have a window into your raw fuel quality, as well as your heavy stuff wont block the filter needlessly. This will increase your replacement life of the filter.

The stock toyota filter housing is, well, to say it straight - crap. wish I changed it out years ago. The combination of pusher pump and cav filter is just fantastic. (mind you I havent changed a filter yet, and I think it will be a bit messy to change). couldnt reccomend the combo high enough.

When I think about all the issues I have had over the years and the heartache on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere in teh blistering heat trying to find that elusive goddamn air leak, I just feel stupid for not doing this then. I guess I have always had faith in Mr Toyota to give us a quality product, and I think he has, but by running bio 100% we are pushing the envelope of what our machines were designed for.

I think any system will need tweaks and minor imrpovements to really get the most out of your power plant when runninig alternative fuels.

I feel like the cruiser is creating a lot more than its 90 horsepower now. No need to turbo at all.

A couple of weeks back I did have a little bit of bother, which was my fault. When I fitted the pump under the body, the best place was next to the tank outlets and off the side of the chassis cross member. I made a bracket which unfortunately hid the pump, so it was a bit of guess work when hooking up hoses etc. On the road the car started to run ordinary and I thought that I had a blocked filter. changed filters, no luck. realised teh screen in teh wallbro might be blocked, so I puleld it out and sure enough - blocked. cleaned it up and put it all back - ran worse. pulled the filter out completely and didnt put it back - still bad. turned out the hoses were kinked when i put it back together. Note to self, use big lazy loops instead of short tight ones that can kink.

Good luck with it all, and dont hold back with the cav filter. dont get the one with the primer pump, as the diaphragm will probably fail.

Comment

Cav filters are good,but on mine (has a hand primer) I have around 8 areas of potential leaks.Ie: 7
                    'o' rings that arn't compatible with B100 for long periods of time.I've had mine for a little over a year on B100.I know your suppose to change the 'o' rings every filter change but fleet guard,delphi.Ryco and baldwin don't supply the seven different 'o'rings.
                    1)Bottom of water trap tap
                    2)Bottom of filter to bowl
                    3)Top of filter to housing
                    4)air bleed (had copper washer on mine)
                    5)centre bolt
                    6)primer pump to housing
                    7)primer pump plunger
                    8)primer handle where it screws on
                    This last week my CAV filter has been leaking air pretty badly and even the electric lift pump wasn't enough to get me home.
                    After numerous trips to work at 40 km/h in 5th gear on the high way,i ended up blocking one end of the fuel system (where the supercheap filter is) and preasurising with air the other end of the fuel system (IP end) and lower be hold after squirting soapy water on everything the air bleed bolt (yes the copper washer) was leaking a heap of air,but when driving no Bio was leaking any where.Even tightening with spanner to very firm it still leaked.....Why ,I don't know but I replaced the copper washer with an 'O'ring for the time being and I haven't had an air leakage problem in the last 4 days.Touch wood.
                    I also found the 'O' rings where the primer pump screws into the housing was cactus as well as the 'O' ring where the plunger handle screws to the primer pump.
                    Sorry for the long post I'm still a fan of the CAV filter assembly for cost but they are not with out their draw backs.

Cheers
                    Pete
                    96 Dual Cab Rodeo B100% since Jan 2011

Comment

Hi Pete, where is your lift pump located? If its on the upstream side, you could move it closer to filter assembly to increase pressure at the assembly. If its on the downstream side of the filter, move it to the upstream side.

Comment

Cut the bottom off a 2l milk container and put it under and around filter assembly before removing. I have done it in my work shirt and not spilt a drop.
                        Matt
                        Last edited by Matt; 9 June 2012, 02:40 PM.
                        Biodiesel Bandit

Comment

Cade,
                          my set up is .......tank,super cheap auto filter,electric lift pump,CAV filter then IP.I think regardless of location if you have an air leak your screwed.Till its fixed.
                          Matt
                          I do a similar thing when changing the filter at service time.

Cheers
                          Pete
                          96 Dual Cab Rodeo B100% since Jan 2011

Comment

Get rid of the inline filter, as it will be dropping the pressure at the cav filter. Cav filters are cheap anyway. If you have a higher delivery pressure at the cav filter enough to overcome the vacuum pressure of the IP, then you won't have air leaks. I found this out the hard way. Also the further the pump is away from the cav filter, the greater the flow resistance, and pressure drop.

Comment

in my experience ill stick with factory filters. ryco spin on filters are good they seat perfect everytime and on a 100 series only have two points that can fail. plus you get the water warning light still which saved a mate in his patrol the other day from many hours of roadside flushing.
                              If ur changing filters that often that you find the spin ons too dear your fuel quality obviously isnt up to scratch. Fleetguard are rubbish in my opinion. why do vegers like them?? because there one of the only filters without waterblock paper. im a big fan of the walbro pumps i had one on my rodeo and it was faultless for 20000kms then i had a prick of a time diagnosing a stavation issue for ages. old mate geewizztoo steered me right. i didnt realise that walbros had a filter. once i cleaned it she was good then the cav was leaking again. CAV are ok but geez they will always be my FIRST place to look for faults as i have had them fail under pressure and under vacuum where as ive never had a screw on leak from anywhere but the primer button.
                              Cheers
                              Nick.
                              Harold 2002 Toyota Landcruiser 105 series. 4.2lt turbo glide turbo, Too lazy to make bio nowdays times money. 3'' lift.

Roidio 2001 Holden Rodeo 4x4 2.8L TD. 2.5" exhaust sytem, H/E shower system. 4" Lift, Airbags, And lots of fruit, B100 for 55,000 . SOLD

Elsa 1983 Mercedes-Benz W123 300D. Still The Fastest Merc in Oz, Self built and Female proofed. COUSINS NOW
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X