Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a new use for Bio

Hey all

Dont know if this has been covered before, sorry if it has, but this last week after watching a Britsh TV show call, A man made home, i tried one of its topics. To use Bio to run a pressure pump style light. well it works and it works a treat. I have an old Hippolite and wanted to see if it would indeed run on bio fuel. It works but it has a tendancy to be a bit on the yellowish side of lite.

Still, all in all, i now know that i have a good supply of home made fuel to use..

Hobes.
    if it's FERAL, it's in PERIL.

i too belong to P.E.T.A.
    people eating tasty animals.

Re: a new use for Bio

That show was quite good I liked the toilet powered gas cooker and how he got around the building permit by using wheels.

Comment

yes , and thanks to that show, i have a new little project. A gas supply fed with household veg scraps. I have a few extra drums floating around, who would have thought eh, spare drums. seems like a good thing.

i too belong to P.E.T.A.

Comment

Bio and or Vegie oil is good for killing bulbs in the garden.
        by Bulbs i mean a plant. some weeds have a bulb as a root. pooring Bio or vegie oil on it carefully so not to kill other plants actually smothers the plant so it cannot feed.

Michael
        97 Jeep XJ Cherokee on B100. 0 km's on B100 and counting !!!! (Sold)
        2002 Merc ML270 now on B100. (Sold)
        2006 Ssangyong Musso 2.9 t idi (Sold)
        2015 NP300 Navara ( Sold )
        2018 NP300 Navara ( B5 )

Stainless processor with blue water pump.
        Tetragonula Hockingsi

Take the Leap and grow wings on the way down

Comment

I had no idea Kevin McCloud had a new series. What an interesting concept. Makes me feel less weird and like I am before my time. I just saw a few clips in Youtube so now I have a new project to see what it is all about. If you are looking for applications for reusing oil how about a coke can penny stove. So cute they fit in your pocket. I don't know if will work but it would be worth a try. Or the mason jar lamp. You can now go to Amazon and order the clip in wick holder.These projects are on my to do list although until I saw this post I was going to use metho in the stove. These mini stoves can be dug into the ground to concentrate the heat. Have you heard of a Dakota Fire Pit? Slightly different type of fire but put a penny stove in a smaller version and perhaps it would be more efficient than open air. I already have the coke cans after raiding my neighbours bin and I bought 4 no 31 glass jars from another neighbour to make the lamp. I love projects.

Comment

Kevin McCloud's programme, 'A Man Made House' is on iView for a while
            ABC iview.

Not really a spoiler alert, but his final speech in Ep 4 is about the value of 'making and doing' rather than 'consuming'. These are values I suspect all of us who are active participants in this forum would appreciate.

Tim
            Toyota Landcruiser 1988 HJ61 Manual Wagon
            12H-T turbo Direct Injection.
            Twin Tank setup runs on 100% WVO after warm up. 30 plate FPHE with 80°C output, 12mm fuel lines
            Start up and shut down electric fuel pump feeds IP direct.
            Front 4WDSytstems Lokka, Rear ARB airlokka for quick escapes up sandhills. Performance GTurbo with 600mm FMIC gives 450nm @ 1700rpm at 20psi boost.

Comment

O k I am on the home stretch on episode 4 but got distracted by a burning question. There is a bit where they make booze with the wood chips in the glass bottle in the ground. Is this something that could be subbed for methanol? What if there was a supply issue with methanol, or a tax issue or inflation made it expensive? What are the alternatives? I hope he does a second series and includes more self sufficiency solutions.

Comment

I have not seen the episode but usually this would be ETHANOL that you brew rather than Methanol - have a look at the US forums (infopop) there are a few people trying to make BIO from Ethanol - success seems to be OK but more hoops and harder and not cost effective

C
                craigcurtin
                Last edited by craigcurtin; 11 March 2013, 12:52 PM. Reason: update
                Holden Suburban K2500 1998 6.5L Turbo GM engine
                210,000KMs (90,000 on new crate motor)

Currently 2 tanks in and working - 90 litre BIO tank and main tank of 160L WVO

30 plate FPHE in Engine bay and Helton Dual coil in rear
                Walbro FRB-5 pusher pumps x 2

50,000KM on Veg and 10,000Km on B100

Comment

Hi Jack's Daughter,
                  I have not watched the show in question. However, if you are forced to substitute home made ethanol for the methanol most people currently use, it would probably be more cost effective to sell the ethanol as moonshine and buy petro diesel.
                  Or buy a 63 era falcon holden, or valiant to use the ethanol in.
                  Originally posted by jacks daughter View Post
                  O k I am on the home stretch on episode 4 but got distracted by a burning question. There is a bit where they make booze with the wood chips in the glass bottle in the ground. Is this something that could be subbed for methanol? What if there was a supply issue with methanol, or a tax issue or inflation made it expensive? What are the alternatives? I hope he does a second series and includes more self sufficiency solutions.

Comment

EDIT: Forget I wrote that... just looked it up - I wasn't aware that ethanol can be made from wood chips Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.

------------

Haven't seen the episode either, but wouldn't alcohol made from wood chips be methanol rather than ethanol?
                    83Patrol
                    Donating Member
                    Last edited by 83Patrol; 11 March 2013, 08:29 PM.
                    1987 Mercedes W124 300D
                    1997 Ssangyong Musso Wagon

Comment

Another name, an old one, for methylated spirits (ethanol) is wood alchohol. Bit off topic I know but, Re methanol poisoning I think they put a bit of methanol in metho plus something horrible tasting to stop people from drinking it. The Bali methanol poisonings are likely to be from using metho, (with its lurking methanol). If they used straight methanol to make their spirits go further they would have dead customers all over the place. does anyone else agree?
                      Johnnojack
                      4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 200000km on WVO,(2020) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids FPHE, heated filter fuel line and tank pickup for thicker oil. Mk. 9 version now and no changes planned as trouble free.
                      Mercedes W201 190D 1986 model: 2 tank system, bigger fuel line from tank, no heat exchanger, electric pump for diesel 22000km so far sigpic

Comment

JJ,
                        MEtho has not had ANY methanol in it for several decades.
                        It is basically 95%Ethanol with Bittrex and water making up the other 5%
                        Bittrex has a similar BOP to ethanol and thus cannot be distilled out.
                        If you can dry the 5% out, it should make a good source of Ethanol for biodiesel processing.

From what I have heard on the poisonings, the commercial Methanol was added to the locally distilled alcohol to make it go further. It was not just a case of not taking the 'heads' off the brew during distillation. Someone was a bit heavy handed with the Methanol in this case. Several others were also poisoned to varying extents. At least 2 others died.

Regards,

Tony
                        Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
                        '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
                        '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
                        '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
                        '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
                        '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
                        '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
                        '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
                        '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
                        '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
                        '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
                        '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
                        '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
                        Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

OK thanks Tony for that info. Unbelievable that they would add methanol deliberately to spirits as it is so poisonous.
                          Johnnojack
                          4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 200000km on WVO,(2020) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids FPHE, heated filter fuel line and tank pickup for thicker oil. Mk. 9 version now and no changes planned as trouble free.
                          Mercedes W201 190D 1986 model: 2 tank system, bigger fuel line from tank, no heat exchanger, electric pump for diesel 22000km so far sigpic

Comment

and yet , the guy i buy my meth from, who has told me so many times how bad it is, still does not use gloves or any safety gear when he sells it to me. i buy it in cubie lots, the drum pump leaks like there is no tomorrow, and he splashes the stuff round all over the place.
                            hobie1kanobie
                            Donating Member
                            Last edited by hobie1kanobie; 12 March 2013, 11:31 AM.

i too belong to P.E.T.A.

Comment

I never heard of ethanol from woodchips either but there are reasons we don't make biofuel from ethanol. Firstly ethanol has more value for human consumption than say 25 cents/litre. Secondly the boiling point is around 87 degrees C as opposed to methanol at 58 or thereabouts and you cannot get dry ethanol from a still,(about 20% water, 160 proof) not even a re-circulating one which gets you up into the 90% range and you would have to use chemical means to dry it first. Even if you can make it out of reject potatoes or whatever.

Comment

Working...
                              X