Blending supplies.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blending supplies.

I have recently acquired a Mercedes W201 190D and am running it on a blend of 10% petrol 90% WVO.(no modifications)
    Question 1 what is the best way to go about obtaining misfuel, that is fuel drained from diesel cars where the owner has mistakenly put petrol in their tank. I expect that new car dealerships don't just chuck it into their demonstrator vehicles and would therefore dispose of it.
    Question 2 if one has some 'misfuel' how do you work out what percentage of petrol and diesel is in the mix, and how do you deal with different blends?
    Johnnojack
    4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 200000km on WVO,(2020) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids FPHE, heated filter fuel line and tank pickup for thicker oil. Mk. 9 version now and no changes planned as trouble free.
    Mercedes W201 190D 1986 model: 2 tank system, bigger fuel line from tank, no heat exchanger, electric pump for diesel 22000km so far sigpic

Re: Blending supplies.

Hi Johnnojack, have a look at this;

http://www.biopowered.co.uk/wiki/Cal..._misfuel_ratio

Comment

There was a member on here who would know. I'm not sure if he's still a member or not.

Jeffrey S. Brooks was his name
      1987 Mercedes W124 300D
      1997 Ssangyong Musso Wagon

Comment

Originally posted by 83Patrol View Post
        There was a member on here who would know. I'm not sure if he's still a member or not.

Jeffrey S. Brooks was his name
        Very funny,
        Johnnojack
        4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 200000km on WVO,(2020) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids FPHE, heated filter fuel line and tank pickup for thicker oil. Mk. 9 version now and no changes planned as trouble free.
        Mercedes W201 190D 1986 model: 2 tank system, bigger fuel line from tank, no heat exchanger, electric pump for diesel 22000km so far sigpic

Comment

JJ,
          I don't worry about calculating the volume needed, based on the % petrol in the misfuel to give a specific % of petrol in my veggie oil. That deserves to be in the "too hard basket".
          I rely on ease of starting as the only criteria. At the moment I am adding 10 litres of misfuel to 60 litres of veggie oil and have easy starting, even with one GP dead (It blew on Sunday). I will replace it as soon as I have time to do so.

As the weather warms up, I will reduce the misfuel to 5 litres in 60 litres of oil.
          When Summer comes, I will cease adding misfuel. In my 300CD, I didn't need to add misfuel for ease of starting, it was happy on 100% veggie oil.
          Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
          '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
          '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
          '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
          '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
          '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
          '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
          '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
          '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
          '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
          '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
          '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
          '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
          Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

I agree with Tony.

The Merc with the Bosch inline pump with the mechanical lift pump hanging off the side of it is very forgiving, unlike the Jackaroo with the rotary / VE pump.

I wouldn't be afraid to go a bit more "seat of the pants" style with the 190D.

Then again, I have been caught in some sticky situations over the years, usually due to the seat of pants approach...
            1987 Mercedes W124 300D
            1997 Ssangyong Musso Wagon

Comment

Nothing worse than a sticky seat of your pants

Comment

Tony is it that easy to pick a single blown glow plug? or is it just your brilliant skills.
                Johnnojack

Comment

Hi johnojack,
                  Yes, it is pretty easy to tell when one glowplug burns out. The engine suddenly starts Missing on a cold start and runs rough until the cylinder with the burned out glowplug eventually starts to fire.
                  If the missing suddenly becomes worse one morning, that indicates another glow plug is gone.

There is a method of finding which glowplug/s are burned out on the Mercedes inline ip diesels.

Comment

JJ, yes it is so easy to find out - The GP lamp does not come on when glowing and it comes on for a few minutes after starting. This is the same for Mercedes diesels from the '90s at least. The Musso uses a similar GP relay to that which other Mercedes diesel engines of the '90s used.
                    That and what Tilly just posted.
                    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Previous Vehicles:
                    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
                    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)

Comment

I have had several glow plugs die over the years in my old mazda. when it became obvious that at least one had died, I pulled them all out. simply check them with a decent wire and your battery terminals to see which ones glow, and which ones dont. use a pair of welding gloves though, they get a tad hot. be careful when extracting them, sometimes the pre combustion chamber gets quite jam packed with soot around the plug. you dont want the ceramic coating breaking off the plug and falling into the cylinder as the soot can pack in quite tight.

Comment

Originally posted by Captaincademan View Post
                        sometimes the pre combustion chamber gets quite jam packed with soot around the plug. you dont want the ceramic coating breaking off the plug and falling into the cylinder as the soot can pack in quite tight.
                        Yes, I always hold my breath every time I have to replace a glow plug. While I did manage to break the terminal off of one of the glow plugs the last time I had to change some, I was still able to extract it normally using the deep socket.

So far I have replaced the glowplugs twice on the Musso with the exception of the #1 cylinder which is still on it's 2nd glow plug.
                        Glowplugs are not easy to remove on the Musso, however, with enough extensions, universals and swearing, glowplug removal can be accomplished without major disassembly. As I recall, #3 glowplug is particularly dfun.

A warning- make sure to securely tape all extensions, universals and sockets together so they will not come apart while removing the glowplugs. The last thing you want is to have a glow plug or socket or extension drop down into the inaccessible nooks and crannies of your engine.

Typically, on the Musso, you can not hand start the new glowplug into it's hole. Maybe you can get to #5 cylinder but for the most part there is too much plumbing in the way to start the new glowplugs into the engine by hand.
                        I found that the easiest method of starting the new glowplug screwing into it's hole is to get a piece of clear plastic hose that the top part of the glowplug will slip snuggly into and then reach it through the maze of plumbing into it's hole. This is actually one of the easiest steps in the replacement procedure.
                        Once you have started the Glowplug screwing into it's hole, pull the clear plastic hose off and continue with the socket on extensions.

Comment

Thanks Tony and Tilly, that's a handy feature. With the Jackaroo I had difficult starting once but engine ran fine immediately it started, eventually found 2 of 4 glow plugs dead.
                          BTW the Merc has been starting ok, maybe a little rough when its cold on 90%veg and 10% petrol.
                          Any suggestions on procurement of misfuel? Apart from just walking into the service department and asking them, which I will probably do soon.
                          Johnnojack

Comment

JJ, I contacted each of the Automasters shops in my area (6 of them) and asked for them to pone me when they have some. I got a call 2 weeks ago when they had ~200L in 20L drums. I get a call once or twice a year from 2 or 3 of them with 20 - 40L, plus usually one big pickup.
                            I have a fuel dispensing tank at home which I keep for misfuel. I am happy for anyone to pinch some 'petrol' from my tank. they won't get far. LOL

Previous Vehicles:

Comment

Well I left my number with two of the big dealer service centres near me months ago but haven't had any calls to collect misfuel yet. However adding $3:50 worth of petrol every tank is not too onerous I guess. The Merc is going well apart from dodgy electrics. Note I have updated my signature.
                              Johnnojack

Comment

Working...
                              X