Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1st time WVO blending

I get the Goss hose from Sprint. Started off at $6/ m but is about $11 now
    For clamps avoid the worm drive radiator hose type clamps, they just don’t work well at small sizes. I use the ones with a screw and nut like in this link
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Stainles...kAAOSw~ANfOm2g
    Wrecked commodores at U-Pull -it used to have heaps lying on the ground underneath them.
    Johnnojack
    4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 200000km on WVO,(2020) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids FPHE, heated filter fuel line and tank pickup for thicker oil. Mk. 9 version now and no changes planned as trouble free.
    Mercedes W201 190D 1986 model: 2 tank system, bigger fuel line from tank, no heat exchanger, electric pump for diesel 22000km so far sigpic

Comment

I still use bog standard rubber fuel hose with WVO (blended with 10-14% ULP).
      I have used it for years with no significant degradation.
      Biodiesel, though, will degrade the rubber fuel hose rapidly.
      Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
      '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
      '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
      '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
      '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
      '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
      '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
      '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
      '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
      '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
      '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
      '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
      '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
      Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

So it’s the caustic in bio that does the damage to rubber rather than the veg?

I’ve added my 1st 20L and so far so good after 200km. The pre-filter still nice and clean.

Gotta drive up to Sydney and back next week so that will be a good test.

13C here today and started fine just now.
        3DB
        1995 Holden (Isuzu) Rodeo 2.8TD 4X4 - B100 since April 2013
        1976 Mercedes 300D Turbo 'The Coal Grenade' - B100 since May 2016 - SOLD
        1994 Peugeot 405 SRDT 1.9L intercooled turbo diesel (Shitbox Rally car.) - B100 since August 2019 - SOLD
        @thirddegreeburns on Instagram
        @thirddegreeburns2019 on Facebook

Comment

Hi Ethan,
          The biodiesel should have a pH of close to 7, Neutral, so it is not caustic. Biodiesel is a very efficient solvent to many materials including rubber. It is known how well how biodiesel cleans the crap from diesel fuel systems.
          I look forward to your foray into wvo/dino diesel blending combination and how far the ratios v ambient can be pushed.
          Good luck.
          Peter

Comment

Biodiesel in the fuel tank does kill Diesel Bug, so does WVO.
            Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Previous Vehicles:
            '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
            '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)

Comment

Had another cold start in 7C with no problem.

Drove up to Sydney on my 36% blend and it went like a rocket.

Added another 20L veg + 15L bio when I got up there and drove back on that - went even better.

Cold start at < 10C this am and no worries. Dino % would have been < 10%.

Have to drive back up to Sydney next week so will throw 35L veg on top of whatever is left in the tank and top up with dino and see how that goes.
              3DB
              1995 Holden (Isuzu) Rodeo 2.8TD 4X4 - B100 since April 2013
              1976 Mercedes 300D Turbo 'The Coal Grenade' - B100 since May 2016 - SOLD
              1994 Peugeot 405 SRDT 1.9L intercooled turbo diesel (Shitbox Rally car.) - B100 since August 2019 - SOLD
              @thirddegreeburns on Instagram
              @thirddegreeburns2019 on Facebook

Comment

Why don’t you just convert the Rodeo to a 2 tank system Ethan? Lot less work than making bio all the time.
                Johnnojack
                4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 200000km on WVO,(2020) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids FPHE, heated filter fuel line and tank pickup for thicker oil. Mk. 9 version now and no changes planned as trouble free.
                Mercedes W201 190D 1986 model: 2 tank system, bigger fuel line from tank, no heat exchanger, electric pump for diesel 22000km so far sigpic

Comment

Re your comment “ My concern is that the lift pump inside the IP might struggle to pull higher viscosity fuel through 2 filters. I do have my little Facet clickey-clack electric pump installed inline though, but don't like the idea of running it continuously if I don't need to.”

I use a little facet pump that pumps all the time the ignition is on. I utilise the lower price ones off eBay (around $16) and get 1-2 years before they stop pumping sufficiently. At this time the pump still click clacks but flow is barely a dribble. Unsure if it’s the mechanism of the pump, blockage (no prefilter), or it just goes out in sympathy with me (those 60+ will understand )
                  Harvey
                  1983 BJ42 Landcruiser (sold)
                  1997 C250TD Mercedes-Benz 60,000 km on wvo

Comment

Try using one of the pre-filters I posted about in October last year.

Previous Vehicles:

Comment

I drill the MB pre filters out ever so slightly to increase the inlet and outlet diameter, ensuring no swarf enters the filter body.
                      Never had a problems with leakage despite the fact that they dont have barbs.

Comment

Why do you drill them out? I have had no issues with flow rate thru these MANN WK 31/5 prefilters, unless they are becoming blocked, and that is when I change them out for a cleaned one. I also have had no sealing issues with the straight I/O pipes on these filters.
                        I bought 5 of these years ago and have 3 in use (in 3 separate Ssangyongs) and 2 cleaned ready to be returned to service.

I flush the worst particulates our with petrol, then add a water / Caustic Soda solution to help move the more stubborn bits. I leave the caustic solution sitting in the prefilter for a day or 2 and then flush with water. I repeat for stubborn contaminants. When I am happy with the condition of the prefilter, I leave it to dry out, ready to be re-used.

Previous Vehicles:

Comment

Working...
                        X