Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Producing a Translucent WMO blend

Producing a Translucent WMO blend

Translucent Adjective (of a substance) Allowing light, but not detailed images, to pass through; semitransparent.

To produce a translucent blend of waste motor oil diesel fuel that is so pure that it is translucent requires employing various methods and processes.

I do not agitate my blends. Instead I employ diffusion to distribute my solvents into my waste oils. Diffusion is the principle of how fluids disperse within a medium. It is the primary driving force that tends to make a solution of two miscible fluids uniform.

I also employ settlement, which is simply allowing the blend to settle. I find WVO blends need only about 24 hours of settling time. However, WMO blends seem to need weeks of settling to get them to the translucent stage.

I also use a bell-shaped, or cone shaped, settling tank. A bell, or cone, shaped settling tank concentrates the sediments and makes it easier to remove them.

I also drain precipitates. Draining precipitates out of the settling tank removes the possibility that sediments can be entrained back into suspension when the fluid is in motion, such as during filtering, or convection cycles. I drain sediments from my settling tank about every 12 hours, and I remove about 1% of the blend at each drain session, or until the blend begins to run translucent. I find if I drain sediments in stages that convection will not remix the sediments back into suspension.

Gradient pumping is recognizing that there is a tendency for a gradient to form between the densest portion of a fluid to the most particle-free portion of a blend. So, if the lowest layer of a gradient is drained regularly, then there will be a tendency to pull down suspended particles from further up the blend.

Fuel stratification is occurs at the gel point of components in a fuel blend. This means that at the gel point of a certain component in a fuel blend that component will precipitate out of solution and its specific gravity will become greater at its gel-point so that it will precipitate out to the bottom of the tank. This means draining the sludge from your waste oil blend at the coldest time of day, which tends to be just before sunrise, then you can begin to approach making a translucent blend.

When processing my waste oil blends I use low velocity movement to reduce turbulence. Fluid flow without turbulence is called “laminar flow.” Laminar flow is used in most cases in clean rooms where the air in the room is entrained to flow horizontally. The advantage of horizontal movement of fluids is in most cases the particles are denser than the fluid, so they tend to fall out, or get trapped in traps. I use two y-traps and laminar flow in my processing system, which traps the dark, thick and dense particles that are flowing in my low velocity laminar flow waste oil processor.

Laminar flow means no turbulence. To get no turbulence you have to have low velocity flow, that is why I process my waste oil blends at 2 to 5 PSI in a system that right now is 1" minimum ID, and I am about to change it out for all 2" ID to reduce the velocity of my fluid stream even further.

However, if I used a centrifugal pump to move my fluid, then it would not be laminar flow, because centrifugal pumps produce a great deal of turbulence. So, to produce that low velocity, low turbulence, or laminar flow, I use pneumatic pumping.

Pneumatics is the use of pressurized gas to affect mechanical motion. In the case of pneumatic pumping pressurized gas is used to push fluids from one container to another.

The advantage of pneumatic pumping is simplicity, flexibility of design and control, and low turbulence. A pneumatic pumping system is easily designed using standard cylinders and other components. Control is as easy as using an air pressure regulator.

When moving my waste oil toward the filter during the filtering process I move the fluid stream past two y-traps. These y-traps take advantage of laminar flow to trap the dense particle stream that will be moving along the bottom of the pipes that lead to the filter.

translucence of waste oil blends
    It is possible to make waste motor oil (WMO) into a luminous diesel fuel that will successfully blend with waste vegetable oil (WVO) diesel fuels.
    Making Translucent WMO Blend Diesel Fuel
    Translucent WMO Blend Diesel Fuel will blend with WVO blends
    http://youtu.be/OGX1gt1TXEg

Re: Producing a Translucent WMO blend

Hi Jeffrey,
    I hope you do not mind me a little advice.
    Every time you post a picture of fuel for inspection in a bottle, the bottle has so many lumps and bumps and angles that it is impossible to clearly see what is inside.

When I do tests in bottles, if the test is a litre or more I usually use a clear plastic 2 litre Dr Pepper Bottle.
    If the test is a litre or less I go to the local Op Shop and for 20- 50 cents I can buy any size clear glass jar I want. And it will already be washed ready for use.
    In either case there are no lumps and bumps and the contents of the bottle are clearly visible.
    tillyfromparadise
    Last edited by tillyfromparadise; 24 February 2012, 04:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X