looking at converting my 2002 Landcruiser with 1HZ engine to WVO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: looking at converting my 2002 Landcruiser with 1HZ engine to WVO

Series 80 cruisers, have a 10mm fuel line and in my experience, it's adequate to run vo with a push pump installed at the firewall

Perolin, take out the filter on the fuel line pickup in the main tank, that's probably what's blocking and put a push pump in just where the fuel line comes into the engine bay. Have found draining the tank won't remove the crap out of the tank, as the drain plug sits under the pick up, which sits in an open top box so the crap builds up in there and clogs the pick up. Have a separate switch for the push pump, so if you need to change a filter or have a blocked tank, you can pump fuel through the lines

I also have an inline throw away filter just before the main filter, which makes it easy to change on the road. You may be better off thinning your vo with dino, as unleaded tends to evaporate when heated and can lead to slowing of the fuel supply, plus unleaded is not designed for diesels, especially using rotary pumps.

My hdj80 loves vo and have installed a 168lt sub tank, along with 2 20lt jerry cans gives me over 2000klm range on vo. I purge with a 5lt tank in the engine bay and this only uses 1lt to clean the pump out, also switch the return line on which flushes it our fast. When ti stop for the day, switch to the urge tank and the turbo timer switches off after 1min, so all very easy and you know the system is clean of vo. All you have to do next day is startup and switch to vo, by the time the engine is warm you are ready to go.

On my 12ht cruiser, have replaced the fuel lines with 12mm as it only had 8mm and restricted the flow.

Comment

Perolin,
      As you can see, there are different ways of achieving the same end. Some require more effort than others, some cost more, some less. some provide additional benefits (eg priming).
      The things we all agree on are that you need to help the flow of oil from the tank to the filter and that the filter should be close to the IP.

As with many forums, there are a variety of opinions all of which are valid. Decide what suits you best and proceed.

Tony
      Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
      '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
      '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
      '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
      '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
      '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
      '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
      '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
      '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
      '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
      '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
      '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
      '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
      Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Hi all

have just done 10,000km since using vo. Always starting on diesel and purging with diesel for 10 mins before turning off. Still changing filters every 2000 km or so, not too much of a problem for me as I can travel home on diesel and then change filter in 10 mins at home. I always carry a spare filter just in case too far from home,

i have left stock standard so far. Too much happening at work and home to spend a day modifying.

thanks for your advice again guys.

cheeers paul

Comment

Paul. What you have is fine for as long as you like to have it that way.
          Do you have a second fuel filter for the veggie oil? If not the main fuel filter can clog up enough that the diesel will not flow fast enough to run the engine at full power.
          I have just gotten a 2000 Ford Courier 2.5TD. I added a small prefilter to catch the diesel bug which is released when you add veggie or biodiesel to the tank. I have swapped it out twice now and the 3rd one is showing signs of the crap in it already. Good thing is that these filters are washable and I have a spare cleaned and ready to go and the other one is in the solution to clean it. (dilute caustic soda solution).

These only cost about $6-8 each and are standard prefilters for a Mercedes 300D using the OM617 engine.
          Attached Files
          Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Previous Vehicles:
          '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
          '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)

Comment

At risk of hijacking thread - (ill be brief) - the little ford courier is a great car, I am on my second now. I had a mazda B2500 (same car, same engine) but sold it last year to swap for the particular courier I bought as the back seat was too small on the freestyle cab on the Mazda.

It loves bio. If you want a few tips and tricks on these Tony (not necessarily bio / WVo related), let me know and Ill make a new thread with what I have found.

Comment

Another update. Have now done 20,000 km on a blend of vegetable oil and 10%ulp. No issues to date apart from the fuel filter having to be replaced more regularly than running in straight diesel. The intervals for filter changes are increasing though.

cheers
              paul

Comment

Paul, Good to hear. The veggie oil will kill off any "diesel Bug" in the fuel tank and the sloshing action will break up any clumps and allow the residues to pass thru the fuel lines to the fuel filter. After 3 or 4 tanks of veggie, most of the residues will have been removed from the fuel tank.

20,000km should be rid of all of it from the tank. That leaves contaminants coming in with the fuel as potential filter blocking agents.

Are you waiting for a slight loss of power at full throttle to tell you that a filter blockage is about to occur? Do you have a vacuum gauge you can connect to the fuel line after the fuel filter and put the gauge in the cabin where you can see it while driving? This can show you how hard the IP needs to suck to get fuel at full power.
                It may be worth reviewing your fuel handling and preparation processes if this continues.

Have fun

Previous Vehicles:

Comment

Hi all

i have done over 50,000km now. Performance is still good. Have noticed what looks like diesel injector leak. I will degrease and check to see where it’s coming from exactly.

do you guys think the blend of oil/ulp contributed to seal deterioration? I could be jumping the gun, and will check and confirm.

cheers
                  paul

Comment

The seals on the 1HZ injectors are an aluminium washer under the return pipe manifiold on the top of the injector, and a copper washer like most injectors at the head. If its present on the top of the head, Its more likely a leak on the little bit of rubber hose about 3 inches long that collects the return line manifold. It runs under the intake manifold, and you can only get to it with needle nose pliers. Check the little squeeze hose clamps on it.The return manifold line can fail too, it happened on my Mazda which is the exact same setup as the 1HZ. That also creates a decent mess.

if the leak is on the actual pump that you mean, there is plenty of candidates.

I'm not sure if veggie users have the same problem as bio users like me with regard to rubber seals being destroyed, but if it is the case, did you swap out the main shaft seal on the pump for a viton one?

Comment

G'day Paul
                      Just got onto this thread and was interested to see how you are getting on. I have a 1HZ 95 Land Cruiser which i am wanting to run on WVO. Was wondering if you wouldn't mind sharing what you have found out and your thoughts on whether or not i should change over to WVO. Everything that i have heard has been positive but there was the one advising against it which concerned me a bit. my engine has done 358000kms and seems to be humming along but would love to run it on WVO for the same reasons you do. Any advice that you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
                      James

Comment

Originally posted by Captaincademan View Post

I'm not sure if veggie users have the same problem as bio users like me with regard to rubber seals being destroyed, but if it is the case, did you swap out the main shaft seal on the pump for a viton one?
                        Cades, in the couple of decades been using VO, never had a seal problem, as far as ulp effecting seals, it would depend on whether the seals are for diesel or ulp, as there is a difference I believe.

Perolin, (Paul), you may find it easier and cheaper to use inline throwaway filters, or an inline re-usable filter, they are pretty cheap I think but they catch any crap in the fuel and can be changed in less than a minute on the road.

I've had an ongoing problem with the main tank in my 80 series 1hDT, in the years I've had it the diesel bugs still block the system. In the main tank there is a plastic thing designed to keep fuel flowing when the vehicle is on an extreme angle and that's where the crud accumulates, so drained the tank and drilled a hole through the plastic, now the crud builds up under the plastic thing can drain it out quickly. Hopefully it should be all gone very soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Alga View Post
                          Cades, in the couple of decades been using VO, never had a seal problem, as far as ulp effecting seals, it would depend on whether the seals are for diesel or ulp, as there is a difference I believe.

Perolin, (Paul), you may find it easier and cheaper to use inline throwaway filters, or an inline re-usable filter, they are pretty cheap I think but they catch any crap in the fuel and can be changed in less than a minute on the road.

I've had an ongoing problem with the main tank in my 80 series 1hDT, in the years I've had it the diesel bugs still block the system. In the main tank there is a plastic thing designed to keep fuel flowing when the vehicle is on an extreme angle and that's where the crud accumulates, so drained the tank and drilled a hole through the plastic, now the crud builds up under the plastic thing can drain it out quickly. Hopefully it should be all gone very soon.
                          hi thanks for the advice
                          i have been running on 90% filtered used veggie oil and 10% ulp(not ethanol) for over 2 years (~90,000km) now without too many issues apart from the blocked fuel filters. I would recommend as I have saved soo much money. It’s a bit of a hassle to pickup oil from several cafes, pubs and restaurants then filter but the savings have outweighed the extra time by a long shot!

my sub tank, which I have straight diesel has just recently now stopped working, so will have to drop and inspect. Will inspect for the crud and look at the plaatic thing. So far have run 3 weeks on veggie oil without purging with diesel with no issue. When I start on straight veggie oil I have found turning keys to allow glow plugs to heat up 2-3 times before cranking to work better.

currently working from home 3 days a week so find veggie oil building up so am putting ad on gumtree to sell 10-20 20litre drums of unfiltered oil. If anyone in Booral / Stroud interested, can provide for free to form members for $1 / 20litre drum if they pickup.

Comment

Hi I see this sleepy thread has woken up again so am going to post my related question here.

I've just bought a 1998 1HZ Land Cruiser 105 and am getting ready to run it on SVO. I've been using SVO for over 10 years on a couple of Mercedes W123s, a Musso and a Peugeot 405 SRDT so I don't consider myself a complete beginner.

But the Land Cruiser has some different features that I'd be keen to get opinions on.

1. Having already 2 fuel tanks it would seem ripe to be used with a 2 tank system. But do you need to modify the tank switch valve plumbing to introduce a delay on the return line to reduce mixing of Diesel and veg oil? And also to have separate filters for each tank?

2. A significantly larger engine than any of my previous conversions - what kind of lift pump (if any) would be best?

Also I notice earlier in the thread a recommendation to have the veg oil filter as close as possible to the IP. Why is this? On one of my W123s I put the pre-filter in the boot and it seemed fine there.

Comment

Originally posted by avidscavenger View Post
                              Hi I see this sleepy thread has woken up again so am going to post my related question here.

I've just bought a 1998 1HZ Land Cruiser 105 and am getting ready to run it on SVO. I've been using SVO for over 10 years on a couple of Mercedes W123s, a Musso and a Peugeot 405 SRDT so I don't consider myself a complete beginner.

But the Land Cruiser has some different features that I'd be keen to get opinions on.

1. Having already 2 fuel tanks it would seem ripe to be used with a 2 tank system. But do you need to modify the tank switch valve plumbing to introduce a delay on the return line to reduce mixing of Diesel and veg oil? And also to have separate filters for each tank?

2. A significantly larger engine than any of my previous conversions - what kind of lift pump (if any) would be best?

Also I notice earlier in the thread a recommendation to have the veg oil filter as close as possible to the IP. Why is this? On one of my W123s I put the pre-filter in the boot and it seemed fine there.
                              Answers;
                              1. It would be best to have a delay on the return line changeover to diesel to minimise the amount of veggie oil mixing in the diesel tank. That said, you are looking at a small amount of veggie oil (basically the contents of the fuel filter (if using a common fuel filter) , the contents of the IP and the return fuel lines. This would amount to less then 250mL at each change over to diesel. If you have separate fuel filters and the C/O valve was located to just before the IP, then ir would be somewhat less veggie oil entering the diesel tank.
                              If you have a looped return (with optional return to veggie fuel tank) then almost no veggie would return to the diesel tank. If you get air in the fuel lines, then change the loop to return to the veggie tank. This could be used on diesel or veggie as it does not matter if veggie is contaminated by diesel.
                              2.Rather than adding a lift pump, why not increase the size of the fuel lines to & from the veggie tank, to minimise flow restrictions.
                              eg a 3mm ID fuel line has a cross sectional area of 7 sq mm, a 5mm ID fuel line has a cross sectional area of 19.6 sq mm and a 8mm ID fuel line 50 sq mm.
                              This requires no electrical connection, it is not a fault liability like some electrical fuel pumps and, if installed securely will last the life of the vehicle, and more.

Placing the fuel filter close to the IP means it gets heat from the engine bay. It is less likely to mess up your boot carpet and it is easy to access for servicing.
                              There may be other reasons, but these are enough.

Previous Vehicles:

Comment

Thanks Tony, some good suggestions there. Definitely a looped return is a good one. I've considered putting in larger fuel lines in the past but it always seemed like such a big job. Do you also modify the outlet from the fuel tank so that it isn't a choke point? Do you use rubber fuel hose or flexible alloy? What about routing and mounting it - follow the existing fuel lines or find another way? Can you point me to any guides to the job?

Thanks as always.

Comment

Working...
                                X