Fuel line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel line

I have had aluminium tubing on my Jackaroo as a vege oil supply from the tank and as coolant lines to and from the tank heater. No problems over ten or more years. So I figured it would be good to use on my Merc as a bigger oil line from the tank. However after a little over a year this pipe started to leak. I had protected it with running it inside black irrigation pipe so the leak was hard to find. After stripping off the poly I found it had at least 6 leaks. I have now replaced it with PEX gas line which should last forever if the fittings on the ends donít leak. Seems aluminium tube is not all the same.
    Johnnojack
    4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 200000km on WVO,(2020) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids FPHE, heated filter fuel line and tank pickup for thicker oil. Mk. 9 version now and no changes planned as trouble free.
    Mercedes W201 190D 1986 model: 2 tank system, bigger fuel line from tank, no heat exchanger, electric pump for diesel 22000km so far sigpic

Re: Fuel line

Hi mate
    Iím curious, any thoughts on reason for (corrosion ď). ?
    I have run a 1997 Mercedes on 95/5 vegie/petrol for 6 years no problem
    Harvey
    1983 BJ42 Landcruiser (sold)
    1997 C250TD Mercedes-Benz 60,000 km on wvo

Comment

Aluminum is a particularly reactive metal. I have used Nylon air line as fuel line in my 300D (when I ran a 2 tank system) as part of a heated fuel system. The fuel line was enclosed in a hose which circulated coolant from the engine to the fuel tank and back again, to heat the tank and melt the solid fats I was using at the time) and the fuel was heated as a result.
      I have had no corrosion issues when using steel fuel line or Nylon air line as fuel line in any of my vehicles.
      I recommend that you avoid reactive metals (especially aluminum) in veggie oil fuel systems.
      Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
      '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
      '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
      '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
      '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
      '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
      '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
      '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
      '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
      '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
      '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
      '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
      '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
      Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

I didn’t say it corroded but it leaked. Perhaps there is a difference between aluminium pipe and aluminium tube. I have had no corrosion issues with my other vehicle using aluminium tube. It also has an aluminium vege oil tank. And most have aluminium bodied injection pumps inside which I haven’t seen corrosion. Copper and brass on the other hand is reactive.
        Johnnojack
        4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 200000km on WVO,(2020) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids FPHE, heated filter fuel line and tank pickup for thicker oil. Mk. 9 version now and no changes planned as trouble free.
        Mercedes W201 190D 1986 model: 2 tank system, bigger fuel line from tank, no heat exchanger, electric pump for diesel 22000km so far sigpic

Comment

Hi there, I originally used aluminium aviation fuel line for the same thing which also ran inside a "hose in hose" pre heater system that started to corrode and leak inside the hose heater. Threw that stuff away and now use nylon hydraulic pipe from enzed of pirtek which uses quick connectors and is very solid. Have done over 80 000 km in my holden rodeo and 6000km in my 105 series landcruiser using the same tubing. Aluminium can also get brittle and not worth risking mixing water into your oil.

Good luck.

Yendor

Comment

Working...
          X