can you heat your wvo to hot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can you heat your wvo to hot

im currently building a landcruiser hzj79 ute it has twin tanks and has been turboed the turbo is able to be water cooled but isnt hooked up ,how would it be if i routed the the wvo through the turbo housing to pre heat it.

I doubt it will be too hot but it will be quite variable, like when coasting down hill or sitting in traffic on a cold day it is unlikely to get enough heat. Better to use coolant from the heater hose which will be a constant 80 deg or so and set up cooling on your turbo anyway to prolong its life and prevent failure. It’s probably not good to have vege oil going through the turbo as heat sink could cause the oil to dry out and clog up the passages.
    Johnnojack
    Last edited by Johnnojack; 15 March 2022, 11:56 PM.
    Johnnojack
    4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 200000km on WVO,(2020) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids FPHE, heated filter fuel line and tank pickup for thicker oil. Mk. 9 version now and no changes planned as trouble free.
    Mercedes W201 190D 1986 model: 2 tank system, bigger fuel line from tank, no heat exchanger, electric pump for diesel 22000km so far sigpic

Comment

The oil can get too hot! it will char and stick to the hot surface.
      Whether the Turbo gets hot enough for that to happen is a matter for measurement of the maximum temperature of the case of the turbo.

As others have said, Run coolant thru the turbo water gallery and use a heat exchanger to heat the oil to engine coolant temperature (80°C).
      The oil will not be damaged at this temperature.
      Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
      '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
      '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
      '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
      '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
      '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
      '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
      '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
      '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
      '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
      '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
      '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
      '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
      Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Perfect reasons why not to and so i will not. I agree it will probably burn and cause a whole heap of problems , i will run water cooling to turbo as normal but ill add a heat exchanger before it to heat the WVO and then it will drop the temp of the coolant pre turbo which is a good thing.

Comment

The temperature drop will be minimal. More important to locate the HEX somewhere along the veggie fuel line, where coolant is available, so plumbing the veggie line is easier.
          Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
          '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
          '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
          '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
          '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
          '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
          '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
          '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
          '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
          '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
          '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
          '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
          '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
          Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Hi Ron,

Im running my 105 series Landcruiser 1HZT on SVO using a heat exchanger from a BA falcon transmission cooler. Works a treat. I have located the filter, pump and heat exchanger on the chassis rail under the passenger seat. Let me know how you go with your project. I am in Lake Cathie NSW

Comment

Working...
            X