Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is anyone running a Toyota Landcruiser Prado on veggie oil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is anyone running a Toyota Landcruiser Prado on veggie oil?

I have just purchased a 2004 Prado 3.0L Turbodiesel, which has mechanical IP and Indirect Injection.
    I plan to run it on a 90% Veggie oil : 10% Contaminated petrol (put ULP into diesel vehicle and this was pumped out (~60:40 ULP : Diesel), as I have done with other Indirect Injection diesels for the last 22 years.
    I will keep a log of the issues I find and how I address them. This is located at:
    https://www.biofuelsforum.com/forum/...896#post109896

Please comment there if you have any experience with post 2000 Toyota IDI diesel on Veggie oil / blends, especially with this model.

I am looking forward to this journey.

Tony
    Tony From West Oz
    Vice Chairperson of WARFA
    Last edited by Tony From West Oz; 24 July 2022, 12:27 AM.
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Looking forward to your feedback Tony.
    have you considered a heat exchanger at all? You have lots of experience with MB engines that have a HE built into the head, on same/similar blends. How to replicate for this engine?
    kind regards, Harvey
    Harvey
    1983 BJ42 Landcruiser (sold)
    1997 C250TD Mercedes-Benz 60,000 km on wvo

Comment

I have not converted a rotary IP before and I will add a heat exchanger to the fuel supply. I will check for room to add a starting tank for diesel, and I may use this to maintain easy starting of the Prado. That will be an interim step in the conversion. This is the most expensive vehicle I have ever owned and I do not want to make any errors which may shorten the life of the engine or cost money to rectify.

Regards,
      Tony
      Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Previous Vehicles:
      '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
      '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)

Comment

I've run my 300tdi engined Land Rover (direct injection) on veg mix for a while, they have a Bosch rotary IP. I found a 10% ulp mix was hard to start , idi may be easier here. I ended up running about 30-50% diesel veg mix. Most of the diesel I used for the mix was old heating oil. I'm making bio at the moment and using that as I was given a heap of methanol so may as well use it.

Comment

Harvey, I have run a number of IDI engine Mercedes vehicles and none had a heat exchanger in the head.
          All of these ran well on liquid vegetable oil from a cold start.
          High melting point oil did need to be heated to prevent filter blockages from the solidified oils.
          I did use a 300D to test the effectiveness of a 10 plate FPHE from a cold start. I think that I posted those results here. It was very effective, with the oil temperature following the coolant temperature almost immediately.

Previous Vehicles:

Comment

It seems that I am breaking a bit of new ground here, with no other members using veggie oil in a Prado 120 3.0L IDI Turbodiesel engine.

I have no hesitation in starting on a 20% veg/ 80% diesel blend.
            This will allow me time to get used to the vehicle and it's behaviour and responsiveness, while I search for a start tank location, for the next stage in the conversion.
            I will create a new post to record my progress as I travel thru my conversion journey.
            Tony
            Tony From West Oz
            Vice Chairperson of WARFA
            Last edited by Tony From West Oz; 24 July 2022, 12:30 AM.

Previous Vehicles:

Comment

Please have a look at my Blog on my conversion of a 2004 Prado 3.0L Turbodiesel to a blend of WVO and Diesel / Misfuel (Diesel which has had ULP added to the tank, then pumped out and sent to a Controlled Waste Receiver). I purchased 800 L of it for blending fuel.

My Blog is at https://www.biofuelsforum.com/forum/...896#post109896.

Previous Vehicles:

Comment

Working...
              X