Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is anyone running a Toyota Landcruiser Prado on veggie oil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    Tony From West Oz
    Vice Chairperson of WARFA

• Tony From West Oz
    replied
    Please have a look at my Blog on my conversion of a 2004 Prado 3.0L Turbodiesel to a blend of WVO and Diesel / Misfuel (Diesel which has had ULP added to the tank, then pumped out and sent to a Controlled Waste Receiver). I purchased 800 L of it for blending fuel.

My Blog is at https://www.biofuelsforum.com/forum/...896#post109896.

Leave a comment:

• Tony From West Oz

• Tony From West Oz
    replied
    It seems that I am breaking a bit of new ground here, with no other members using veggie oil in a Prado 120 3.0L IDI Turbodiesel engine.

I have no hesitation in starting on a 20% veg/ 80% diesel blend.
    This will allow me time to get used to the vehicle and it's behaviour and responsiveness, while I search for a start tank location, for the next stage in the conversion.
    I will create a new post to record my progress as I travel thru my conversion journey.
    Tony
    Tony From West Oz
    Last edited by Tony From West Oz; 24 July 2022, 12:30 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Tony From West Oz

• Tony From West Oz
    replied
    Harvey, I have run a number of IDI engine Mercedes vehicles and none had a heat exchanger in the head.
    All of these ran well on liquid vegetable oil from a cold start.
    High melting point oil did need to be heated to prevent filter blockages from the solidified oils.
    I did use a 300D to test the effectiveness of a 10 plate FPHE from a cold start. I think that I posted those results here. It was very effective, with the oil temperature following the coolant temperature almost immediately.

Leave a comment:

• fattima

• fattima
    replied
    I've run my 300tdi engined Land Rover (direct injection) on veg mix for a while, they have a Bosch rotary IP. I found a 10% ulp mix was hard to start , idi may be easier here. I ended up running about 30-50% diesel veg mix. Most of the diesel I used for the mix was old heating oil. I'm making bio at the moment and using that as I was given a heap of methanol so may as well use it.

Leave a comment:

• Tony From West Oz

• Tony From West Oz
    replied
    I have not converted a rotary IP before and I will add a heat exchanger to the fuel supply. I will check for room to add a starting tank for diesel, and I may use this to maintain easy starting of the Prado. That will be an interim step in the conversion. This is the most expensive vehicle I have ever owned and I do not want to make any errors which may shorten the life of the engine or cost money to rectify.

Regards,
    Tony

Leave a comment:

• Harvey
    replied
    Looking forward to your feedback Tony.
    have you considered a heat exchanger at all? You have lots of experience with MB engines that have a HE built into the head, on same/similar blends. How to replicate for this engine?
    kind regards, Harvey

Leave a comment:

• Tony From West Oz

• Is anyone running a Toyota Landcruiser Prado on veggie oil?

I have just purchased a 2004 Prado 3.0L Turbodiesel, which has mechanical IP and Indirect Injection.
    I plan to run it on a 90% Veggie oil : 10% Contaminated petrol (put ULP into diesel vehicle and this was pumped out (~60:40 ULP : Diesel), as I have done with other Indirect Injection diesels for the last 22 years.
    I will keep a log of the issues I find and how I address them. This is located at:
    https://www.biofuelsforum.com/forum/...896#post109896

Please comment there if you have any experience with post 2000 Toyota IDI diesel on Veggie oil / blends, especially with this model.

I am looking forward to this journey.

Tony
    Tony From West Oz
    Last edited by Tony From West Oz; 24 July 2022, 12:27 AM.
Working...
X