Another Tank with pond scum..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Tank with pond scum..

I also get a build up of scum in my tank.I let my oil settle in 20ltr drums then course filter it into a 220ltr drum.Only put the clear tan oil in the big drum.I then heat the oil and filter it to 5 micron back into the now cleanded 20 ltr drums.Let it settle some then fill the truck.Never completly empty the drum when filling.
    Would adding some unleaded or kero help kill of the bugs cuasing the scum?I have noticed that the scum happend to form when we had some very humid wether.So I am asuming the hot oil has taken some moisture from the air would this have contributed to the scum?
    Cheers

Re: Another Tank with pond scum..

Originally posted by Strawb View Post
    I also get a build up of scum in my tank.I let my oil settle in 20ltr drums then course filter it into a 220ltr drum.Only put the clear tan oil in the big drum.I then heat the oil and filter it to 5 micron back into the now cleanded 20 ltr drums.Let it settle some then fill the truck.Never completly empty the drum when filling.
    Would adding some unleaded or kero help kill of the bugs cuasing the scum?I have noticed that the scum happend to form when we had some very humid wether.So I am asuming the hot oil has taken some moisture from the air would this have contributed to the scum?
    Cheers
    How about you course filter the oil as soon as you get it or even a day or too after you collect it. Then leave it to settle and start fine filtering after. This is what I do so maybe this why I do not get any bugs or scum in the oil because the big food crap is removed before settling. Do I make sense?

Good luck

Fitian
    Fitian
    <><

Comment

Hi Strawb,

What colour is the scum?

What is the texture of the scum? Loose or like a plastic / rubber?

If you pick it up does it break up easily or stay as a sheet?

How long does it sit before use, and is it in a sealed container?

Anyway whatever the above try adding some of the commercial anti bug formulations, eg. diesel power and see what happens to the next batch.

cheers, Michael

Comment

Ok the colour is a reddish brown ,the texture is rubbery and in large pieces when flushed out of the tank.Was mainly on the underside of the top of the tank and the upper portions of the sides.It is in a sealed container before use.It sits for up to 2 weeks before use.
        Cheers

Comment

Hi Strawb,

Do us a favour please, I'd do it myself but I don't have the scum to play with. Take some scum and air dry it on some paper towel for a few days out of direct sunlight. Then have a look at the texture, shrinkage, colour change, smell, etc. and let us know what happens.

From your description I suspect it's biological in nature and easy to deal with by changing the conditions in which it grows. All sorts of additives should do the trick.

Is it only happening in the fuel tank and not the storage tank? What is the 200L storage tank contact surface made of, painted or mild steel?

The water in your oil absorbed from the atmosphere is unlikely to be a problem as it is effectively distilled water and won't contain acids and salts that eat injectors and IP's.

Cheers, Michael

Comment

Your description of the pond scum is the same as mine.

What sort of tank are you using?

I will be having a closer look at mine at the start of May, so if you have results before that, then I would be glad to hear about it, otherwise we can compare notes when I have mine looked at.
            Toyota Landcruiser 80 Series 1990 VX Ltd - 12HT powered- diesel for run-in period (no longer 1HDT).
            190L vege oil LR tank and 90L diesel, Vormax, 30 plate FPHE, two automated 3-way ball valves with delay to prevent mixing on purge.

Comment

This happens to wine and beer:

"when oxygen got into the vats and turned the wine into vinegar, a slimy, rubbery layer grew on top. This layer was cellulose, produced by acetobacter bacteria as a waste product"

Sound familiar? So my suspicions are slowly being confirmed that your pond scum is biological and an acetobacter, so adding ulp or 'diesel power' to your cleaned WVO will probably solve the problem.

The acetobacter is basically producing cellulose which is why I was asking to have some dried out as it would smell 'off' as it dried, darken, become brittle and tear like tissue paper.

cheers, Michael

Comment

Working...
              X