Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone have DIY plans for a heat exchanger?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone have DIY plans for a heat exchanger?

Does anyone have DIY plans for a heat exchanger?
    (Preferably something simple you dont have to weld)

Re: Does anyone have DIY plans for a heat exchanger?

Hi mate

If you are handy, you can make one of these in a weekend...: Don't be scared of soldering. If you can wax a board, you can solder

How to make your own heat exchanger
    bruceT
    Last edited by bruceT; 2 December 2007, 08:27 PM.
    Cheers
    Bruce

1976 W123 300D (3 litre 5-cyl NA diesel running on SVO since June 2006)
    1982 W126 280SE (Sadly is For Sale)
    1993 W124 300D (3 litre 6-cyl NA diesel - being converted to SVO)

Comment

yeah thats the only one i know

i dont have the tools to weld/solder however

(and i have no garage to mess around in)

Comment

I made this one !

Does it show

It goes around the veg filter and gets surprisingly hot, around 80c when a full pelt -

I used a pipe bender to make this but if you get the right grade of soft copper (annealed I think but just chk that) you can bend it around a fixed object without it kinking -

10mm ID with .8 wall is good, chk out BJ's site - he used a flask and no tools to produce a very professional job.

David
        David

1994 Merc C250D -110k diesel, 18k miles SVO t/ tank
        1998 merc 300TD - 89k diesel, 6k miles svo blend

And remember ~

"if you drive a car fast enough it will last you a lifetime"

Comment

im doing pretty good running a blend of wvo/diesel but i just want to run more

i already have the injector heaters and was thinking about the glowplug one, i could even take another injector heater kit and wrap them around some pipe to make my own injector line heater (but i didnt want to draw too much)

i do drive from one side of the island to the other on the weekends so I was thinking about making a small one similiar to the coils spock posted

getting a 1 foot piece of straight pipe for the fuel line then coiling more pipe around it for the coolant lines.

plus i take time and money into consideration

maybe i could run hotter, longer-burning glowplugs too/instead?

Comment

Cheap and easy would have to be the hose-in-hose. I used about 5metres.........you may get away with less because higher ambient temps?
            Fuel pipe to be steel or stainless 3/8in 10mm minimum. Water hose, use 5/8 - 3/4in(best) heater hose. All else could be made with brass fittings. I used combination braze and fittings. One end of H/E

Comment

was thinking that too

got a write-up?

Comment

Notes:

1/ Plumb the water hoses parallel to the heater, not in series!

2/ Make the Tee junctions all out of brass fittings if you don't have access to a welder. start with a tee, then add fittings for each hose and fuel line. The fuel line fittings need to be "through-drilled".

3/Make the point where the hot water enters the H/E, the point where the fuel is drawn off. Fuel may end up hotter this way (more efficient).

Anything else, just ask.

Comment

Thanks for this Tbird and other posters.

I think I read that junction off the coolant hose has to be Y shaped rather than T shaped. Can you confirm?

Comment

I use tees for both H/E and into the heater hoses themselves. There's plenty of flow and lots of heat.

Comment

Originally posted by tbird650 View Post
                      Notes:

1/ Plumb the water hoses parallel to the heater, not in series!

2/ Make the Tee junctions all out of brass fittings if you don't have access to a welder. start with a tee, then add fittings for each hose and fuel line. The fuel line fittings need to be "through-drilled".

3/Make the point where the hot water enters the H/E, the point where the fuel is drawn off. Fuel may end up hotter this way (more efficient).

Anything else, just ask.

thanks for the info

can you draw a picture?
                      (kidding... kinda)

Comment

Originally posted by Gen-Erix View Post
                        yeah thats the only one i know

i dont have the tools to weld/solder however

(and i have no garage to mess around in)
                        OK, wasn't aware of that. This could be your solution then. Basically it's called a hose in hose heat exchanger.

You can get these fittings from beer homebrew shops and just add your own hose with clamps. This pair of fittings is used to construct a counterflow heater, with a 3/8th compression fitting for the copper tubing, and 1/2" tails for the outer hosing. All you need is the copper tubing and the outer hose, which is standard car heater hose.

Cheers
                        Bruce

Comment

You can get these fittings from beer homebrew shops and just add your own hose with clamps. This pair of fittings is used to construct a counterflow heater, with a 3/8th compression fitting for the copper tubing, and 1/2" tails for the outer hosing. All you need is the copper tubing and the outer hose, which is standard car heater hose.

Bruce, just a query: is 3/8" tube inside 1/2" hose going to give enough flow of water?........ or is it even a big enough body of water? That's 1/16" clearance (concentric) for water to pass.
                          Through the actual 1/2" copper tails, the clearance would be even less!!

Approx calculation: if a tail is 12.5mm OD.....and the wall thickness is 1mm....... that leaves a 10.5mm ID hole into which the 10mm OD fuel tube has to fit AND pass water.

Am I missing something?

Comment

No, it's plenty, and typical of HIH applications.
                            bruceT
                            Last edited by bruceT; 3 December 2007, 10:59 PM.
                            Cheers
                            Bruce

Comment

i was also thinking about taking an injector heater kit and wrapping up a straight pipe for a fuel line heater

Comment

Working...
                              X