X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SVO upflow design with photos!

Bumping this old but good thread.

Any updates from any of the original participants?
    Or newcomers that have used the info in this thread?

Tim
    Toyota Landcruiser 1988 HJ61 Manual Wagon
    12H-T turbo Direct Injection.
    Twin Tank setup runs on 100% WVO after warm up. 30 plate FPHE with 80C output, 12mm fuel lines
    Start up and shut down electric fuel pump feeds IP direct.
    Front 4WDSytstems Lokka, Rear ARB airlokka for quick escapes up sandhills. Performance GTurbo with 600mm FMIC gives 450nm @ 1700rpm at 20psi boost.

Comment

Hello here is my little upflow set up.

Since I live in a student share house I need something non permanent and small. I got some 60L blue plastic drums with sealing lids from gumtree (about $10 each I think). With these I have fitted some 15mm brass garden taps (not 1/2"). To fit these I drilled a 19mm hole with a spade bit into the plastic and using a 15mm backing nut on the tap inlet thread I threaded the tap into the blue plastic (cutting into it) and put the backing nut behind on tight. No sealant or gaskets and they don't leak. Note that the 15mm size of the tap doesn't apply to the threaded fittings (hence the 19mm hole).

Using some cheap 12mm garden hose and some cheap plastic garden fittings with the taps I can make sealed connections between the drums. I put the oil into the top drum which has a shopping bag filter in it. This drum has a tap on the bottom which is piped through the top of the second drum to the bottom. On the second drums there are two taps one about 2/3 up for the up-flowed clean oil outlet and one on the bottom to drain the drum out. I collect the oil in the small yellow oil container.

After this the oil from this is taken through a 5 micron bag filter and put into another blue drum for storage, this is done in the carport and not usually set up.

The oil I have been getting lately is from a Thai restaurant and is generally very clean. When putting the dirty oil in the top I also chuck in a splash of ULP.

Comment

Hi Doofus,

I am a little confused, to me it looks like you are getting the water and stuff you don't want in your little drum on the ground, wouldn't you be better off putting the tap on the top off your elevated drum?
        I would also put a 90mm stormwater pipe (cheap as chips) in the guts of your first drum. Leave a 25mm gap between the pipe and the bottom of the drum. So every time you add oil, you pour it in the pipe, it gets forced down to the bottom, pushes clean oil out of the top tap (because your drum has to be full) running in your little blue drum on the ground.

Just a thought. Happy oiling

Jens
        1990 Toyota Hilux LN106 with ATG 2 tank system (sold after running 150.000 ks on mainly WVO)

1993 Toyota 75 Series with 1 HDT conversion, 75l factory tank and a custom 170l under tray tank. (Retired with 680.000ks on the clock mostly running on BIO and on WVO)

2006 Landcruiser Troopcarrier 1HZ with DTS Turbo Kit, 170ltr long range tank currently not converted, running on B100

"him who never made a mistake, made no discovery either"

Comment

The top drum has a bag filter in it that goes about halfway down, which I pour the oil into and let it drip through. That drum is used only as a kind of big sealed funnel to collect the oil form the bag filter, so you are right all water does go into the second drum. All the settling happens in the one on the ground. And that garden hose going from the top drum to the drum on the ground does go all the way to the bottom... perhaps I should include more pics to make it a little clearer.

Comment

Just a couple of observations - i used garden style taps early in the piece - you will find that the mechanism will gunk up in a short period of time - particularly if you leave a tap turned off for a while - you may find that the Vegoil will seal it down closed - i ended up replacing all of mine with ball valves for this reason.

Also be careful of the seals in the lids of these drums - they are usually a cheap rubber seal and the WVO softens and destroys them very quickly and they fail just when you least expect it

Craig
            Holden Suburban K2500 1998 6.5L Turbo GM engine
            210,000KMs (90,000 on new crate motor)

Currently 2 tanks in and working - 90 litre BIO tank and main tank of 160L WVO

30 plate FPHE in Engine bay and Helton Dual coil in rear
            Walbro FRB-5 pusher pumps x 2

50,000KM on Veg and 10,000Km on B100

Comment

Re: My upflow design - [updated 15 Dec with photos!]

After 10 years of use, I'm getting rid of this setup FREE, see here: http://www.biofuelsforum.com/threads...mbing-and-pump
              Sean

Comment

Re: SVO upflow design

For those who would like to make an up-flow settling system for their veggie oil, here is what I am using.
                I have an insect screen in a cut off 60L drum, upside down with a 50mm* 19mm BSP reducing bush and 19mm BSP barbed elbow connecting via a valve and 19mm BSP barbed elbow, to the 50mm BSP reducing bush.
                On one side of this bush I have the 19mm elbow and on the other a 19mm straight hose barb. I have a piece of 19mm polythene pipe which goes almost to the bottom of this drum. On the 19mm bung hole of this drum, I have another 19mm BSP barbed elbow.
                A piece of clear vinyl hose joins this to the second drum, which has the same connections as the first one.
                The outlet from the 19mm bung on this drum has another 19mm BSP barbed elbow which connects via vinyl tubing to another 19mm BSP barbed elbow to the storage tank from which I pump into my filter bags.
                You can have as many settling drums as you like between the strainer and the storage tank.
                This can be duplicated using IBCs and bulkhead fittings.

I have added an oil level indicator to the side of my storage tank by using a "blind" bulkhead fitting (which can be inserted from outside the drum and seals perfectly). I use clear vinyl tubing for the level indicator.
                Attached Files
                Tony From West Oz
                Vice Chairperson of WARFA
                Last edited by Tony From West Oz; 18 December 2019, 11:54 PM.
                Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
                '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
                '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
                '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
                '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
                '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
                '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
                '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
                '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
                '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
                '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
                '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
                '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
                Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

I see that all of the diagrams on this forum have disappeared over time (Photobucket started charging for image storage)
                  Here is my Up-flow settling system:
                  Up-flow settling.doc

After 15 years of use, the first drum in the up-flow settling system has failed.
                  Some water in oil had been accumulating in the bottom of this drum and had started to corrode the bottom of the drum. I saw evidence of water coming from the bottom of the drum and pumped out the top half of the contents. I sealed the bung holes and took the drum outside to inspect the bottom of it.
                  There was a slight weep of water from the centre of the bottom of the steel drum. I will take the oil sent to an appropriate disposal site. It has 15 years of accumulated sediment in it.
                  Attached Files
                  Tony From West Oz
                  Vice Chairperson of WARFA
                  Last edited by Tony From West Oz; 9 May 2022, 11:56 PM.
                  Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
                  '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
                  '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
                  '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
                  '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
                  '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
                  '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
                  '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
                  '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
                  '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
                  '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
                  '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
                  '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
                  Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Working...
                  X