My conversion of 2004 Ford Courier 2.5TD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My conversion of 2004 Ford Courier 2.5TD

I have just ordered 2 x solenoid valves from Omar and will begin my wvo conversion journey soon. I will be taking the leap using my treasured Ford Courier 2.5TD. Also purchased a 20 FPHE from Geoffwin. Next stop - Enzed for hoses and connections. Having read the previous advice on fuel hosing, I am leaning towards reinforced nylon compressed air hose. Am planning on using a 20 cubie as my first tank --> 12mm wvo hose --> 20FPHE --> CAV filter --> 2 x 3port valves and probably a vacuum gauge before the IP. I had considered using a pusher pump to get the wvo from the tank to the IP, however given the warm climate here (well, perhaps not right at the moment, but generally) I don't think this should be necessary. I've included a pic of my engine. The heater assembly runs as a constant flow, so I will be attaching the FPHE in series with the line coming from the head. The current plan is to attach the FPHE to the wall near the compliance plate and rig up a mount for the CAV filter and bolt it in the corner of the rear left of the photo. Any constructive comments on my intended set up are welcome!

Re: My conversion of 2004 Ford Courier 2.5TD

It looks like your IP is on the right hand side of the engine, so that is where you need the hot vege oil to be. You could consider moving the existing diesel filter to another part of the engine bay and putting the WVO filter in its place. Then try to mount the FPHE near it so the route to the IP via the changeover valve is as short as possible thus eliminating a slug of unheated oil going to the IP from an uneccessarily long fuel hose. My 2 cents worth.
    Johnnojack
    4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 200000km on WVO,(2020) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids FPHE, heated filter fuel line and tank pickup for thicker oil. Mk. 9 version now and no changes planned as trouble free.
    Mercedes W201 190D 1986 model: 2 tank system, bigger fuel line from tank, no heat exchanger, electric pump for diesel 22000km so far sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RustyNQ View Post
      I have just ordered 2 x solenoid valves from Omar and will begin my wvo conversion journey soon. I will be taking the leap using my treasured Ford Courier 2.5TD. Also purchased a 20 FPHE from Geoffwin. Next stop - Enzed for hoses and connections. Having read the previous advice on fuel hosing, I am leaning towards reinforced nylon compressed air hose. Am planning on using a 20 cubie as my first tank --> 12mm wvo hose --> 20FPHE --> CAV filter --> 2 x 3port valves and probably a vacuum gauge before the IP. I had considered using a pusher pump to get the wvo from the tank to the IP, however given the warm climate here (well, perhaps not right at the moment, but generally) I don't think this should be necessary. I've included a pic of my engine. The heater assembly runs as a constant flow, so I will be attaching the FPHE in series with the line coming from the head. The current plan is to attach the FPHE to the wall near the compliance plate and rig up a mount for the CAV filter and bolt it in the corner of the rear left of the photo. Any constructive comments on my intended set up are welcome!
      All good. Presumably 20 litre cubie will be in the tray thus giving gravity assist so pusher pump should not be necessary. Didn't needone on my son's Hilux Surf with WVO tanks high mounted in the back. Will 20 litres be enough? We used 2 x 20 litre plastic jerry cans in the surf. 20 litres is usually enough for start-up/purge tank but doesn't get you far as a main WVO tank. Vacuum gauge is very important (IMO) and will tell you if a pusher pump is required (too much vacuum = needs some help to get oil through filter). I use food/fuel quality reinforced nylon? clear hose from Clark Rubber.

Comment

Gents, thanks for your replies and thoughts, they are much appreciated. The idea about moving the fuel filter is not bad, I see Nuddy did this with his conversion on the Nissan. The CAV I bought does not have a plunger type pump on it like my diesel does. Clearly, I am no expert in all things mechanical - how do I get the oil through the CAV and introduced up until the valve? I'm guessing after I attach the wvo line to the filter, gravity takes over and oil flows through the filter with sufficient force and up to the valve. Or not?
        I've attached a pic of my CAV. Has anyone had anything to do with a Crosland 522 filter before?

Comment

Hi there just thought I would share a couple of photos of my 03 Mazda Bravo conversion to help you out. Have previously converted an 01 Ford Courier and found it was identical to the Bravo. Also included a photo of a WVO tank which I have made to fit the tray, with out taking up to much space. Hope these help and good luck with it.

Comment

Very nice setup mate. A few questions for you. It looks like you have looped the return line back to the IP - do you find this causes any problems? Do you find on chilly jimboomba mornings that you have any problems with the wvo cooling down before reaching the IP given that the FPHE is over the other side of the engine? What sort of fuel hose did you use? And last but not least, can you post a picture of where you tapped into your heater line - I assume you fitted it in series after the head? Any further advice about your conversion would be great. Is there any chance that next time I'm down your way I could have a look at your setup?

Comment

Yeah thats correct I have looped the return line back to the IP but it goes through the electric 12v in-line heater first, never have had any problems. The electric heater also seems to do the trick with those cold mornings, I usually switch it on when the ute is warming up on diesel and by the time I switch over to WVO everything is nice and hot and there is no problems. As for the fuel hose I have always used 3/8 (10mm) in all of my conversions. I will post a few more photos in the next few days, and any time you are down this way I would be happy to show you my set up.

Comment

Just curious but what is that machine in the back of your ute?
                Johnnojack
                4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 200000km on WVO,(2020) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids FPHE, heated filter fuel line and tank pickup for thicker oil. Mk. 9 version now and no changes planned as trouble free.
                Mercedes W201 190D 1986 model: 2 tank system, bigger fuel line from tank, no heat exchanger, electric pump for diesel 22000km so far sigpic

Comment

Oil filtering machine as used by fish & chip shops???
                  Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
                  '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
                  '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
                  '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
                  '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
                  '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
                  '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
                  '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
                  '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
                  '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
                  '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
                  '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
                  '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
                  Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Originally posted by RustyNQ View Post
                    Gents, thanks for your replies and thoughts, they are much appreciated. The idea about moving the fuel filter is not bad, I see Nuddy did this with his conversion on the Nissan. The CAV I bought does not have a plunger type pump on it like my diesel does. Clearly, I am no expert in all things mechanical - how do I get the oil through the CAV and introduced up until the valve? I'm guessing after I attach the wvo line to the filter, gravity takes over and oil flows through the filter with sufficient force and up to the valve. Or not?
                    I've attached a pic of my CAV. Has anyone had anything to do with a Crosland 522 filter before?
                    You need something to get the fuel through the CAV after you change the element. Most use a CAV with a plunger. I can get away without because my pusher pump does that for me. I had to change to a plunger type CAV on the hilux when I removed the pusher pump. You can use a in-line primer pump like they use on outboard motors and peugot diesels.
                    Crossland element is ok but probably won't last as long as a Fleetguard.

Comment

Hey Guys just a few more photos, but could not get a clear photo of where I have tapped into the heater hose as it runs under the air cleaner, but it is in series after the head. I have taken a closer photo of my Pump & motor, which is used to collect filtered waste oil. After a lot of trial and error over the past 6 years I am now using this gear pump, which is run by a brushless 12v motor (with no problems for the past 3 years). The pump is able to suck/pump 20ltrs in 20secs and I use it roughly 4 days a week, collecting and filtering oil with the machine which is sitting on top of the 200 ltr tank in previous photo. The tank is purely for collecting WVO and is not a fuel tank, but on many occasions have had to pull over and fill up my main tank, with many strange looks. I have also placed a photo of my switch panel inside the ute, which controls electric heater, electric pump and pollak valve. I also run a temp gauge for WVO. The other photo is of the electric facet pump which I have installed under the ute along side the fuel tank and I have always run this style electric pump on all of my conversions with no problems.

Comment

Hi Aaron can you please give us details of that beaut looking temperature gauge on your switch panel
                        Johnnojack

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
                          The tank is purely for collecting WVO and is not a fuel tank, but on many occasions have had to pull over and fill up my main tank, with many strange looks.
                          What sort of fuel economy do you get using wvo? If I drive carefully (read "like miss daisy") I can get 10L/100km on diesel.

Comment

Temp gauge looks like the one I got from Jaycar - internal battery operated - no backlighting - cable to thermocouple is too short for many applications.
                            I had a Facet pump like that once - it was actually restricting the flow of WVO, not helping it flow.

Comment

A quick update on progress. I had considered tapping into the heater system myself, however after having a chat to the local radiator shop I decided it was a bit more than I was willing to tackle. I'm planning to be there when the guy plumbs the FPHE in so I can learn something. The wisdom of the collective suggests that the FPHE should be installed vertically, however the guy from the shop can not see a problem with it being installed horizontally. Although, he did state that it could get air in the system? Anyway, I am getting a few brackets made up and will be placing the FPHE and wvo filter on the left side of the engine - presumably my warm climate will allow me to get away with this . If I could mount the FPHE horizontally, it would make my setup a bit neater as I could mount it against the firewall. Insulation wise, some foam (cutoffs from Clark Rubber?) wrapped with electrical tape sounds ok to me. Again, comments on any of this is welcome

I'm still waiting on my valves from Omar. I checked the US postal site and it says they are sitting in Washington waiting to be sent. Fortunately, I have a mate coming for a visit next week who is an electrical engineer, so hopefully the valves will be here by then we can get busy setting up the electrical bits. I'm also leaning towards getting a pusher pump (Walbro FRB5?) as I don't have a plunger filter. One of the posts (Fitian I think) in another thread cautions against the use of these filters, however I notice that plenty of conversions have used one. After seeing pics of Aaron's setup, I'm also planning on looping the veg return back to the IP.

Comment

Working...
                              X