1981 300SD; where to start?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1981 300SD; where to start?!

Hey everyone. My uncle has had a 1981 Mercedes 300SD sitting on jacks in his garage for about six years. I have yet to try and start it, but what do you suggest I fix/replace to get it running and ready for a WVO conversion? The car has 180,000 miles on it, and seems to be in great shape.

Thanks!

Re: 1981 300SD; where to start?!

You will need to replace all of the usual rubber items as the tyres and the fuel lines will be hard.
    Drain the fuel from the tank and replace both fuel filters.
    Prime the fuel system.
    Replace the battery.
    Start the engine.

If it starts easily with full glow (wait until the GPs stop glowing, not just the GP light to go off, before cranking the engine), bring it up to operating temperature and then shutdown and change the engine oil and oil filter
    Take for a drive until the transmission is at operating temperature (10 - 20 miles) and bring her home and change the transmission fluid and filter.
    If you have SLS, change the SLS fluid also
    Change the Power steering fluid and filter (in the bottom of the PS Pump reservoir).

Check the operation of the Vacuum system (doors should lock / unlock with the engine running, for up to 3 lock / unlock cycles more than a day after the engine is stopped.

The vacuum system also operates the engine shut down and climate control actuators, so this is important.

You will also find other things which need work, but this is a good start if you want the car to be a "keeper".

Regards,
    Tony
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Originally posted by Tony From West Oz View Post
      You will need to replace all of the usual rubber items as the tyres and the fuel lines will be hard.
      Drain the fuel from the tank and replace both fuel filters.
      Prime the fuel system.
      Replace the battery.
      Start the engine.

If it starts easily with full glow (wait until the GPs stop glowing, not just the GP light to go off, before cranking the engine), bring it up to operating temperature and then shutdown and change the engine oil and oil filter
      Take for a drive until the transmission is at operating temperature (10 - 20 miles) and bring her home and change the transmission fluid and filter.
      If you have SLS, change the SLS fluid also
      Change the Power steering fluid and filter (in the bottom of the PS Pump reservoir).

Check the operation of the Vacuum system (doors should lock / unlock with the engine running, for up to 3 lock / unlock cycles more than a day after the engine is stopped.

The vacuum system also operates the engine shut down and climate control actuators, so this is important.

You will also find other things which need work, but this is a good start if you want the car to be a "keeper".

Regards,
      Tony
      Awesome, thank you so much!

Comment

Let us know how it goes, I always love getting cars going that have ben left sitting. It is very satisfying.

Good luck!

Comment

now i dont know if this is really recomended, but it is some thing i have always done with engines that have not been run for a good while.
          apart from all other stuff people have said above,, all good info
          most damage occurs in the first few seconds of running,before everthing gets a splash of oil,,,and thats with an engine started every day
          Six years any film of oil will be nonexistant,what hasnt drained and dripped of will have evapourated, TOTALLY no oil
          in such a case i remove spark plugs or glowplugs so there will be no resistance to the engine spinning,,add a teaspoon of lubricant to each cyl. via glowplug hole,even abit of the old diesel fuel drained from the tank
          with a good battery and a battery charger conected hit the starter forsay 5 seconds, keeping an eye on the oil guage [or light] if nothing has happened, repeat once or twice more ,if still no joy go have a cup of tea [before 6pm beer after 6pm] let starter cool,,, repeat
          usually oil will start to flow in the first session,so once the guage has moved or the lights gone out we know a good feed of oil is avialable,replace glowplugs and start engine
          dagwill
          Last edited by dagwill; 14 April 2011, 10:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dagwill View Post
            ,if still no joy go have a cup of tea [before 6pm beer after 6pm]
            All good advice dagwill but time is of the essence!

What is this 6pm stuff??

Cant you pull it back to at least 5pm!! ??

Earlier in an ideal world!

Comment

ahhhh, your on daylight saving

Comment

Originally posted by Socrates View Post
                All good advice dagwill but time is of the essence!

What is this 6pm stuff??

Cant you pull it back to at least 5pm!! ??

Earlier in an ideal world!
                I actually think he got his times mixed up - should be 6am.
                1987 Mercedes W124 300D
                1997 Ssangyong Musso Wagon

Comment

Time is relative.

Its always 6pm somewhere in the world.......

dont think about that for too long, it will do your head in. have a beer instead.

Comment

Originally posted by dagwill View Post
                    most damage occurs in the first few seconds of running,before everthing gets a splash of oil,,,and thats with an engine started every day
                    Six years any film of oil will be nonexistant,what hasnt drained and dripped of will have evapourated, TOTALLY no oil
                    in such a case i remove spark plugs or glowplugs so there will be no resistance to the engine spinning,,add a teaspoon of lubricant to each cyl. via glowplug hole,even abit of the old diesel fuel drained from the tank
                    with a good battery and a battery charger conected hit the starter forsay 5 seconds, keeping an eye on the oil guage [or light] if nothing has happened, repeat once or twice more ,if still no joy go have a cup of tea [before 6pm beer after 6pm] let starter cool,,, repeat
                    usually oil will start to flow in the first session,so once the guage has moved or the lights gone out we know a good feed of oil is avialable,replace glowplugs and start engine
                    Thanks for your reply. I was actually going to ask about the oil not being in the engine for such a long time. A friend of mine told me to remove the ignition coil so that the the oil and diesel will run through the engine, but won't actually turn over. Is this the best way?

Comment

Hi 300s,
                      The above is all great advice.

The only suggestion I'd make re placing a little lubricant in the cylinders before starting is to allow an hour or two after doing so before actually turning the engine over to allow it to soak into the rings and onto the bore as much as possible. Spraying penetrating oil in also might also an idea.

Just not sure if these will work better with daylight saving or without!
                      Laurie

Comment

300SD90,
                        Your friend obviosly does not know much about diesel engines.
                        Originally posted by 300SD90
                        A friend of mine told me to remove the ignition coil so that the the oil and diesel will run through the engine, but won't actually turn over.
                        If you need to quote part of a previous message, please only quote the part of the message you wish to comment on. In your post above, you quote the whole of a previous message, buit do not refer to it in your post. This just makes the thread difficult to read
                        Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Previous Vehicles:
                        '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
                        '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)

Comment

Thank you for all of your suggestions. I understand that the engine will be quite dry, and may need to be lubricated. Some of you suggested adding a lubricant to the cylinders. What type of lube would be best? Someone suggested about a teaspoon to each cylinder. Is this enough?

Comment

yes add some lube to each cylinder,, but in my oppinion rings and bores will tollerate a few seconds running until engines lubricating system fixes that,very little damage if any will be done by totaly dry rings [polished by use] lasily slipping up and down the cylinder.
                            my main concern is conrod bearings[toally dry] being POWNDED as each cylinder fires again and again, doing serious damage until oil pressure builbs up and the crank finnaly gets a thirsty lik of oil,[possibly all too late]
                            hennce my prevois post [will i ever learn to spell]
                            its a bit of mucking about,but i think its worth it if the engine has not been started for so long
                            and even if i am wrong can anyone see a down side
                            dagwill
                            Last edited by dagwill; 20 April 2011, 11:15 PM.

Comment

I second Dagwill's suggestion of cranking without allowing the engine to start.
                              If you have the tools, it is best to remove the Injectors or GPs, but if you don't have those tools, in the case of a Mercedes diesel, you could put a high vacuum on the shutdown diaphragm or wire the throttle linkages to the energency stop position, which will prevent the engine from starting.
                              This will take more power from the battery, but as you will not need to wait for glowing in each session of cranking, it is not as bad as it could be. Having a second vehicle with jumper leads may be prudent.
                              Rememberer to crank for up to 30 seconds then allow the starter 10 minutes to cool down again. While the body of the starter motor may be cool to the touch, the internals may be at very high temperatures due ot the load of cranking the engine.

Regards,
                              Tony

Previous Vehicles:

Comment

Working...
                              X