Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2H Two Tank, One Filter

Hey there

I have been running my landcruiser farm ute (HJ75 2H) on WVO & SVO for 5 years or 50,000kms. Initially I had a seperate filter for the veggie but due to too much restriction I removed it. I could not cut into the existing fuel line, as it was a steel line and I neither had the equipment to repair or access to a wrecker with the parts I would need to do it.

So I run both Veggie and Dino through the factory diesel fuel filter. It is a factory looped fuel system so restrictive fuel filter is not so much an issue.

I replace the fuel filter with every 2 or 3rd engine oil change (at 5000kms), it seems to run well. Although that engine with 400,000kms it is a bit gutless (bit like driving a Hilux.... OOH that's a bit mean! considering I am looking at purchasing a gutlux soon, as it will be more efficient and no difference in power etc to my existing ute)

There is no noticable change in power between dino or SVO.

Sometimes, especially before a Hwy drive, I replace the fuel filter anyway if I am going on a long trip. and of course allways carry a spare filter.

Keep cruising
    Adam
    1980 Mercedes 300TD 2 tank setup mainly using SVO and some WVO
    1987 Toyota Landcruiser, 2 tank setup mainly using WVO
    2006 Musso Sports - SVO two tank, stock dino, 140lt veggie

Re: 2H Two Tank, One Filter

I've done probably around the same k's on my 300D on WVO/WVO blends intermittently with diesel/bio using the same filter for all. As you know, the fuel system is similar in design to the 2H.

I've been caught out maybe half a dozen times when I've shut the system down with WVO that must have had some high melting point fats in the filter. Most of those times I was away from home and wasn't in a position to apply some sort of heat to help it flow, so I just changed the filter.

I did get over 20,000km out of one filter, and only changed it because I thought it might be a good idea - there were no signs of starvation or anything else.

Don't know how long since I've really needed to change the filter, as the last two times have been for nothing:

The last time, I changed it because the car stopped dead in a suburban street with no warning, and wouldn't start again. I thought it was funny that there was no period of fuel starvation, but couldn't think of anything other than that the filter must be blocked, so I changed it. As I was putting the new one on, I remembered that I'd a clamped the rubber fuel line in a hard-to-see spot as a security measure when I went away for a couple of weeks . Some security device - I'd managed to drive almost 10km before the fuel in the IP and filter was used up!

The time before was at the servo in Dunkeld in January because I'd been experiencing fuel starvation for about 20km. I changed the filter and no difference - it turned out that the sender in the tank had gone a bit dodgy and I had no fuel in there.

I actually get more power on WVO, it seems - maybe my pump is a bit worn
    83Patrol
    Donating Member
    Last edited by 83Patrol; 12 June 2012, 12:04 AM.
    1987 Mercedes W124 300D
    1997 Ssangyong Musso Wagon

Comment

Did you loop your fuel system in the 300D (W123)?

I am running an full return system in my W123 but due to some issues, fuel starvation etc., I am looking at looping it.

Comment

I am just about to start hacking into my fuel lines this weekend on my 2H so this is interesting, how long is the purge time to empty the factory fuel filter of veg oil? This was why I was considering putting the valve afterthe stock fuel filter, to reduce purge times that is.

Comment

Originally posted by Grampiansmerc View Post
          Did you loop your fuel system in the 300D (W123)?

I am running an full return system in my W123 but due to some issues, fuel starvation etc., I am looking at looping it.
          No, didn't loop. The fuel system is stock - it just returns to tank.
          1987 Mercedes W124 300D
          1997 Ssangyong Musso Wagon

Comment

Originally posted by doofus View Post
            I am just about to start hacking into my fuel lines this weekend on my 2H so this is interesting, how long is the purge time to empty the factory fuel filter of veg oil? This was why I was considering putting the valve afterthe stock fuel filter, to reduce purge times that is.
            It takes 6-8klms for my 2h to really purge the system and that's through the inline and main filter. It works fine with 2-3 klms which thins the VO down enough to fire up the next day, but do prefer to change it over earlier. With the 2h they are pretty forgiving, mines done morey 300000 klms on VO and even thoiugh the engine is really old, approaching 600000klms it still works fine. but slowly.

Comment

About 3km is Ok for my 2H system.

Comment

ive made a heat exchange between my pickup pump and stock filter [hj60 2H] i posted some pics on here a couple of yrs back, have a search, heat exchange
                any way for me purge time is about 3km in the summer and i give it 4km in winter. IDEA, there is a bleed valve on the stock filter i have been going to add a T junction at this point so that i could fit an extra soleniod wasting back to the veg tank . Then when i switch back to dino ,i could hit a button [which would only be on as long as i push it] this would open the solenoid at the bleed point [hose looped back to veg line]. This would quickly purge the lines and filter. Most imes i would still just flick over 4ks from home. I have added a buzzer that goes of if i turn the ignition off and solenoids are still in VEG position. Then instead of having to restart and go for a drive to purge ,i could just restart and press the exrea button for 30 sec, run for 30 more and switch off. It would just give me a quick purge option

Comment

Solenoid at the bleed point is an interesting idea.
                  I wonder if moving fuel in 2 directions (ie IP pump and fuel tank) would effect 2H performance, I feel like i would be asking allot of my pickup pump. Not that the 2H performance is really effected by anything unless a dim sim or something slips into the line. Let me know how you go with this,
                  Cheers

Comment

Working...
                  X