Help needed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed!

I am scratching my head, I hope someone has an answer.
    Yesterday my Musso started acting like it had a blocked filter or fuel line. Shuddering and not accelerating, similar to what happened last year when the in-tank fuel filter became blocked.
    To describe the fuel system for the car. The fuel lift pump appears to be one of those typical mechanical lift pumps they used to use everywhere on cars. The lift pump is mounted on the side of the Injector pump and "sucks" fuel from the fuel tank. After the fuel passes through the lift pump it is "pushed" through the fuel filter and then goes to the injector pump. I have installed a see thru inline filter on the "suck" side of the fuel lift pump just before the fuel goes into and thru the fuel lift pump.
    I looked at the inline see thru filter and it was quite dirty so I replaced it. No help, I could see bubbles in the filter and sometimes foam. This is what a blocked filter often looks like.
    I have methodically replaced or checked everything between the fuel lift pump and the fuel tank. This includes a new 3m fuel line hooked directly from the fuel tank to the new inline filter that goes directly to the fuel lift pump. I opened the top of the fuel tank where the pipes go and removed and checked the intake pipe for an obstruction or air leak I did not replace the filter last year. The pipe easily passed air blown thru and held a vacuum when I sucked on it with my finger closing one end .
    I felt around the bottom of the tank and removed any "Gunk" I ran across. I pumped the tank out and replaced with new winter biodieslel/ veg oil blend. I sucked on the line from the inline filter that attaches to the fuel lift pump. Fuel flows without a lot of resistance. I replaced the main fuel filter on the Push side of the fuel lift pump.
    Still lots of bubbles in the see-thru filter and car frequently shudders if I floor it or try to accelerate, but not all the time.
    Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Is it starting OK or do you have to crank it for a while?
    Bubbles make me think there is air leaking into the system. Running a temp line to a fuel can and see how that goes. that will rule out tank or line issues.
    Not familiar with the fuel system but the Bosch IP on the Land Rover can run without the fuel pump (IP has a pump inside) could also run fuel direct to the IP if that is the case.

Comment

Tilly, Did you check the strainer on the fuel pickup in the tank? It is part of the fuel gauge and pickup that you removed to get into the tank. As you did not have the problems prior to fitting the prefilter, I suggest that the issue may be due to old fuel hose or poor clamping (wrong size clamp may cause deformation of the hose and not seal well).
      Get a bit of metal fuel line and replace the filter with it. Do you still have the issue with the engine performance suffering?

Tony
      Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
      '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
      '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
      '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
      '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
      '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
      '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
      '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
      '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
      '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
      '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
      '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
      '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
      Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

"Third attempt to reply to this. The forum is frequently blocking my posts when I edit them because it thinks they are spam"

Fattima and Tony, thank you for responding.
        It eventually turned out to be the replacement inline filter was defective. After going through and replacing virtually everything, I stopped at a shop here that is run by a South African.
        It turns out that he has a 300D as his daily driver. He was scratching his head too. He loaned me a pusher pump to install at the outlet of the tank to see if that would fix it. I decided that out of desperation, before installing the pusher pump, I would change the new inline filter and see what happened. Fixed the problem. I can even see what is wrong. The distance from where the fuel enters the filter shell and the filter is very small. A piece of crud was jammed up against the filter blocking the inlet hole. Do not know when that happened. Replaced the filter with a new one with a big bottom catchment area and away she went.
        I didn't reinstall the strainer last year. After going to great lengths to clean it, my wife accidentally knocked it on the floor and then swept it up and threw it away. The only way to get a new one is to buy the whole insert containing fuel gauge mechanism, pick-up pipes and strainer for over $100. There is a good reason to have the strainer, no crud would make it into the inline filter if it was still there.
        Thank goodness I was able to drive it to orchestra practise tonight, only cost me $1.50 to travel there and back instead of the $30.00 if I had to take the petrol car.

Comment

Glad you got it fixed Tilly.

Comment

Tilly, All of your posts were put onto this thread. Must have been something delaying the posts - perhaps server maintenance issues??
            Good that you got to the bottom of the fault.
            The filters I use are the same as were stock on the 300D I had back in 2002. They are cheap and can be backflushed to clear the worst of the crud in them, on the roadside, just by removing it from the fuel line and blowing back from the filter outlet, back out the inlet. In most of cases this will let you get home again to replace it with a cleaned one.
            I add a little petrol to it to thin the oil, agitate it to loosen most contaminants, then blow that out the inlet again. Any remaining crud will get a day of sitting in the glycerol byproduct before being flushed again with water. It is rare that I need to clean any further, but a bath in some NaOH or KOH dissolved in water will remove any stubborn contaminants. Rinse and allow to dry, before putting it in the car as another spare.
            I have one in a ziplock bag, which is where I put the oily one when I replace it. Saves getting oil on the carpet.
            Tony
            Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Previous Vehicles:
            '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
            '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)

Comment

Thanks so much for the laugh about the wife sweeping up and throwing away the filter/strainer.
              I needed that!

Comment

Tilly, Is this the Musso that you were working on? I have a spare fuel pickup / gauge sender here on my old Musso Sports.
                If you like, I can pull it out and take the strainer off, wash it and send the strainer to you.
                Not really critical though, You have an inline filter at the lift pump, so it is protected against any cr@p getting from the tank into it.
                Tony

Previous Vehicles:

Comment

Originally posted by Tony From West Oz View Post
                  Tilly, Is this the Musso that you were working on? I have a spare fuel pickup / gauge sender here on my old Musso Sports.
                  If you like, I can pull it out and take the strainer off, wash it and send the strainer to you.
                  Not really critical though, You have an inline filter at the lift pump, so it is protected against any cr@p getting from the tank into it.
                  Tony
                  Hi Tony, that would be lovely if you wold do that.
                  PS- I tried to send you a PM but you have exceed your quota. You will need to delete some messages.
                  tillyfromparadise
                  Last edited by tillyfromparadise; 20 July 2022, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X