Arduino users ????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arduino users ????

Are there any Arduino users on the forum ??

I know it's an odd question but I'm looking for options to my dual tank controller.
    The solinoids have been ordered and have arrived in the country thanks to Jens but know I want ot control the switch over process with something that can switch over the fuel supplies and lines back to the tanks.
    Maybe if it can do other things as well like monitor engine temps or tank temps too ?

Any optional ideas that don't cost a lot would be good.
    From ebay I can get the controller and relay board and LCD displays for less than $100 all up. Just need some brains to combine and build some features.
    Thanks for any help in advance.

Michael
    97 Jeep XJ Cherokee on B100. 0 km's on B100 and counting !!!! (Sold)
    2002 Merc ML270 now on B100. (Sold)
    2006 Ssangyong Musso 2.9 t idi (Sold)
    2015 NP300 Navara ( Sold )
    2018 NP300 Navara ( B5 )

Stainless processor with blue water pump.
    Tetragonula Hockingsi

Take the Leap and grow wings on the way down

Re: Arduino users ????

Hey Michael,

Yep i am an Arduino user (converted about 18 months ago from being a Picaxe user) - hard work up front but once over the initial learning curve then all is good.

Have you had much Microcontroller experience before ?

The sky is the limit with Arduino but budget and maintainability are two big areas.

If i was you i would start with an Arduino Mega R3, 4 x 20 LCD display with I2C/TWI daughterboard.

You will need some good power protection in the car for the unit - i would suggest the easiest and cheapest way is to get one of the quality IPAD 12v chargers (i.e. plugs into your cigarette lighter) as the best way to go.

You will want a Real Time Clock module - the model for the is DS1307 or DS3223 with battery backup

Later on you can add some SD storage and other bits and pieces.

Although not the cheapest - the best place i have found for all of this (especially when learning/starting out) is www.yourduino.com

http://yourduino.com/sunshop2/index....oduct_list&c=1

Here are some links on his site for the gear i would recommend

http://yourduino.com/sunshop2/index....t_detail&p=387

http://yourduino.com/sunshop2/index....t_detail&p=195 (this shield is not exactly right for the Mega R3 - email terry on the site and ask him for the R3 shield)

http://yourduino.com/sunshop2/index....t_detail&p=332

http://yourduino.com/sunshop2/index....t_detail&p=201

http://yourduino.com/sunshop2/index....t_detail&p=151

http://yourduino.com/sunshop2/index....t_detail&p=278

That enough to get you started - taking a temperature reading from (say) your FPHE, display it on the screen, drive the relays to switch over to BIO etc.

You may also want some LED and Buzzer modules so you can do something like Buzz for 10 seconds if you stop the car and have not purged etc

Lots of smart things you can do once you wrap your head around this environment (happy to help out) - might get me going again on my stalled Project conversion !!!

If you are going to work with the Arduino ditch the standard IDE and use UECIDE - much much better

Craig
    Holden Suburban K2500 1998 6.5L Turbo GM engine
    210,000KMs (90,000 on new crate motor)

Currently 2 tanks in and working - 90 litre BIO tank and main tank of 160L WVO

30 plate FPHE in Engine bay and Helton Dual coil in rear
    Walbro FRB-5 pusher pumps x 2

50,000KM on Veg and 10,000Km on B100

Comment

Thanks Craig that's fantastic.

I'll have a look at those links. I have to admit I hadn't thought too far ahead but had considdered the possibility of requiring a time clock and power protection.

I was thinking a large capacitor ?? For power protection.

I have had some e perience with micro processors but admit it was an awful long time ago.
      I have had some time with Linux and Unix and spend my time at work using telnet more than I have had to.

Guess I'll work withit when I can get the bosses approval to purchase.
      I have been spending lots of time reading and watching utube clips. Amazing how many people use these products. I did consider getting raspberry pi but it look more like a processor than a controller.

Thanks again

Mike jones
      97 Jeep XJ Cherokee on B100. 0 km's on B100 and counting !!!! (Sold)
      2002 Merc ML270 now on B100. (Sold)
      2006 Ssangyong Musso 2.9 t idi (Sold)
      2015 NP300 Navara ( Sold )
      2018 NP300 Navara ( B5 )

Stainless processor with blue water pump.
      Tetragonula Hockingsi

Take the Leap and grow wings on the way down

Comment

I can help as well, some knowledge of electronics and have worked with the arduino myself too.

Matt
        Biodiesel Bandit

Landcruiser '98 80 series B100.

Comment

So what do these things do? cooking tea while you're driving? ( next to no electronic background ) gimme a hammer and a some nails, or better a battery drill and screws and let's have a chat then
          Bueff
          Biofuel Enthusiast
          Last edited by Bueff; 4 February 2014, 01:13 PM.
          1990 Toyota Hilux LN106 with ATG 2 tank system (sold after running 150.000 ks on mainly WVO)

1993 Toyota 75 Series with 1 HDT conversion, 75l factory tank and a custom 170l under tray tank. (Retired with 680.000ks on the clock mostly running on BIO and on WVO)

2006 Landcruiser Troopcarrier 1HZ with DTS Turbo Kit, 170ltr long range tank currently not converted, running on B100

"him who never made a mistake, made no discovery either"

Comment

Originally posted by Matt View Post
            I can help as well, some knowledge of electronics and have worked with the arduino myself too.

Matt
            we're doing a Brisbane workshop soon? these things sound pretty interesting
            1990 Toyota Hilux LN106 with ATG 2 tank system (sold after running 150.000 ks on mainly WVO)

1993 Toyota 75 Series with 1 HDT conversion, 75l factory tank and a custom 170l under tray tank. (Retired with 680.000ks on the clock mostly running on BIO and on WVO)

2006 Landcruiser Troopcarrier 1HZ with DTS Turbo Kit, 170ltr long range tank currently not converted, running on B100

"him who never made a mistake, made no discovery either"

Comment

Originally posted by SUZUDDIS View Post
              Thanks Craig that's fantastic.

I'll have a look at those links. I have to admit I hadn't thought too far ahead but had considdered the possibility of requiring a time clock and power protection.

I was thinking a large capacitor ?? For power protection.

I have had some e perience with micro processors but admit it was an awful long time ago.
              I have had some time with Linux and Unix and spend my time at work using telnet more than I have had to.

Guess I'll work withit when I can get the bosses approval to purchase.
              I have been spending lots of time reading and watching utube clips. Amazing how many people use these products. I did consider getting raspberry pi but it look more like a processor than a controller.

Thanks again

Mike jones
              Michael, You can use a capacitor to give you a power down time, but it will do little to save the arduino from the sort of power spikes you will typically see in a car - far better off with one of the IPAD (2.1 amps or so) Cigarette lighter type units (a good quality one) or something like one of these (hard wired in) - but make sure you get a good quality one

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_o...erter&_sacat=0

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by craigcurtin View Post
                Michael, You can use a capacitor to give you a power down time, but it will do little to save the arduino from the sort of power spikes you will typically see in a car - far better off with one of the IPAD (2.1 amps or so) Cigarette lighter type units (a good quality one) or something like one of these (hard wired in) - but make sure you get a good quality one

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_o...erter&_sacat=0

Craig
                Yeah the Raspberry PI is another great solution but is not quite as at home in controlling things - that will be my next step - put a 7 inch touchscreen in the car and have the Rpi control it and throw up a combination of web pages etc with data being sourced from the Arduino and the ECU/OBD2 port in the Suburban

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Bueff View Post
                  So what do these things do? cooking tea while you're driving? ( next to no electronic background ) gimme a hammer and a some nails, or better a battery drill and screws and let's have a chat then

Bueff, These units are essentially a purpose designed microcomputer. In the case of an Arduino it is designed specifically (and primarily) to interface to the real world - to gather data of some type and to control objects.

So for instance - you could use it to monitor the temperature of your FPHE in the car and then have it output on an LCD screen that it is optimal to now switch over to WVO - it could be further proagrammed to then control the soleonoid valves and do the change over for the fuel supply from your DINO tank to your WVO tank and then 30 seconds (or whatever period of time) later it could then do a delayed switch of the return lines to minimize tank contamination.

It could also be tied into the car ignition system to monitor if you shutdown whilst still on Veg without doing an adequate purge and could then warn you through an LCD screen and/or buzzer.

You could also use it to monitor fuel pressure at your IP (if using a pusher pump) and to alert when this drops down below a certain value - indicating that your filters may be getting blocked - but you could do this only when the fuel was WVO and only when the temperature of the FPHE was above X degrees.

All of this could be done with a single LCD screen thus saving you having pressure gauges, temp sensors and the like lined across your dashboard.

You can also (as an example) get a module that plugs into your cars OBD2 port and can then suck out relevant info that the ECU provides (such as Turbo Boost, EGTs etc etc)

You can also do things like having an underbonnet temp probe that might cycle up a seperate fans to circulate more air under the bonnet - engage your Water Mist Injection system etc etc

Craig

Comment

Working...
                  X