Posting an Image

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Posting an Image

Had to start a new thread as the other one is closed.

Yes Tony - I've seen the posting about the Word Document, but it's not really a whole lot of use if it doesn't appear in the actual post.

Is there no way other than a photohosting site?

Re: Posting an Image

I've now set up a photo hosting account at imjur but it won't let me post on this site. I copy and paste the URL but it keeps saying Invalid File.

Comment

Mark,
      When you reply to a thread, the [Quick Reply] window opens. To access the Manage Attachments function, you need to click on [Go Advanced].
      Then scroll down to click on the [Manage Attachments] button to open the attachment function.
      Unfortunately, this function has not worked well for many years.
      Using a Doc file is the best I have been able to provide.
      I will ask the forum owner if he can look at the Manage Attachments function and make it work for other file formats.
      Regards,
      Tony
      Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
      '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
      '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
      '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
      '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
      '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
      '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
      '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
      '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
      '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
      '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
      '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
      '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
      Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Originally posted by Tony From West Oz View Post
        Mark,
        When you reply to a thread, the [Quick Reply] window opens. To access the Manage Attachments function, you need to click on [Go Advanced].
        Then scroll down to click on the [Manage Attachments] button to open the attachment function.
        Unfortunately, this function has not worked well for many years.
        Using a Doc file is the best I have been able to provide.
        I will ask the forum owner if he can look at the Manage Attachments function and make it work for other file formats.
        Regards,
        Tony
        Well yes, that'd be good, but I can't get the photo hosting approach to work either. I click on the Insert Image icon abd it gives me the option of uploading an image from my computer or inserting a URL. At the moment neither is working. I've never encountered a forum website where inserting images was so difficult to do

Comment

Made a basic change. Essentially downgraded an option for handling images to an older method that is not as good. Hopefully however it works. Not as good is better than not at all!
          I have added a small image as an attachment by the following method - Click "go advanced", scroll down to "Manage Attachments" and click the button. This will bring up another little window that should allow you to upload files. You can choose either ones from your own computer, or post a link to them. Add them in and click "upload". They should then show in "current attachments". Close this window when complete. Submit your reply and the attachment should be under it.
          Attached Files
          Robert.
          Site Admin.

Comment

OK, that worked. Now I'm going to try adding an image inline rather than underneath as an attachment. Click on the "insert image" button above the text window.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Insert Image.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	94673 Browse to the image and click "Upload File" (You can also link to another image elsewhere with this method if you want).
            At this point, it should show just a text code for now. The image should appear properly inline after you post.

Name:	BBcode Image.PNG
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	94674
            Now I click "post quick reply" and hopefully you will see 2 images inline with my text.

Yes, it worked. Please note, it will only show thumbnails of the images, you need to click them to show full size.
            Robert.
            Site Admin.

Comment

Now I will check attaching an image via side-loading it from another site.
              I go to google images and look for a picture and I find this one. (Click "Insert Image" icon above and then click "from URL". Paste in the URL where the image is. If you wanted to, you can click "Retrieve remote file and reference locally" which will download a copy from the other site and then store it also on this site.) It should now display under this text.

Name:	biofuels222278.jpg
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	94675
              This is essentially the same as attaching an image, just a different method to achieve the same end.

I will now try the same thing, but this time not ticking the "Retrieve remote file and reference locally". This should have the same end-result, but it will side-load the image directly from the site it is hosted in. This option is better for the storage and bandwidth of this site, but it can also cause some issues. Some side-loaded items can be malicious, so some ad-blockers and other online safety utilities can block them out of hand. Also, some providers don't like this practice and some of the photo hosting sites try to prevent side-loading from other sites. Your mileage may vary, as they say, but for the purposes of this test, this image should work.

You'll notice that the image code for this now displays the link in an IMG tag instead of the ATTACH tag, which you should only see before you submit the post. Once it is submitted, it should just display the image inline. It may take slight longer to load it depending on where it is coming from.

You'll see also that the attached image shows as a thumbnail, while the side-loaded image shows at full size.
              Robert.
              Site Admin.

Comment

OK boys & girls. This seems to work now. Sorry it was broken for so long. It was an easy fix, though I'm not happy with the method being used at the moment and I suspect while it worked OK on my tests above it may not be robust enough to survive general use - time will tell.

Finally, I will also try attaching some other file types, not just images. I'll do a DOC, a TXT and a PDF and test that they work too.

Seems to work OK, however, it didn't like the more modern (current) version of Microsoft Word (.docx) and it rejected the upload. I had to save it into the older (.doc) format and then it uploaded happily. You should see 3 working attachments below.
                Attached Files
                Robert.
                Site Admin.

Comment

Robert. Thank you. It will help forum members explain things with the aid of attachments.
                  Attached Files
                  Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
                  '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
                  '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
                  '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
                  '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
                  '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
                  '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
                  '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
                  '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
                  '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
                  '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
                  '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
                  '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
                  Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Thanks Robert

Much appreciated

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mark View Post
                      Thanks Robert

Much appreciated
                      Test Image test

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-04-23 at 7.06.51 pm.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	94680

Comment

Hi Rob

Much as I try I still can't post images

I used the method you described for a random image online, and it worked - but when I attempt to post the image that I want from an imgur account this happens:

Which tells me that there is some formatting issue with the image itself. Do you know what it might be?

Edit - the image I see when I attempt to post does not come up when the post is published. It's a small icon with an image inside it of a piece of paper that is torn - I am accustomed to seeing this when an image cannot be opened by the browser or software you are working with
                        Dr Mark
                        Last edited by Dr Mark; 22 May 2019, 02:20 PM.

Comment

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="ynMMqtX"><a href="//imgur.com/ynMMqtX"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Comment

Hi Mark,

This is the thumbnail in your top post this page.

[img]

Mark said:
                            used the method you described for a random image online, and it worked - but when I attempt to post the image that I want from an imgur account this happens:

Edit - the image I see when I attempt to post does not come up when the post is published. It's a small icon with an image inside it of a piece of paper that is torn - I am accustomed to seeing this when an image cannot be opened by the browser or software you are working with
                            This is the "torn" Picture

tillyfromparadise
                            Last edited by tillyfromparadise; 22 May 2019, 10:02 PM.

Comment

Just trying to post an image, with a bbcode ignore me if it doesn't work.

Well it does work! just got to imgur, fine your picture.
                              hover mouse over the picture.
                              and click on the V next to "copy"
                              copy the BBcode
                              paste the code on to the text in your post.
                              you will see the picture when you post
                              smithw
                              Last edited by smithw; 17 June 2019, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X