Spam Tsunami

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Spam Tsunami

I finally manage to register this morning.
    Let me tell you it has been a marathon!
    Special thanks to Tony and the other moderators for finally getting things sorted out!

Comment

Re: Spam Tsunami

The registration process was turned back on about a week ago (1/11). The random questions and picture questions that I've added to the registration process take care of 90% of the automated spammers. However, there are still some real human spammers that do make it through. The 3rd line of defence is automated and includes checks of IP, email address and username with 2 different databases of known reported forum spammers. If a new user tries to register and they happen to use a username that has been used by a spammer in another forum, they will be denied (this happens a few times a year to legit users who happen to have a name that has been used to spam). There are also of course some real people who are not listed in spam databases who make it through and try to post spam. Fortunately, our 4th line of defence, our tireless moderators can tag them as spam which not only cleans up the crap they post, but also reports the email, username and IP to spam databases.
      The user registration system is back online, but I do expect to get a lot less new traffic from searches to this forum for the next month or so as I've had to change the way all the links are done and google will penalise this site in search results until it rebuilds everything again.
      Robert.
      Site Admin.

Comment

Working...
      X