Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pro's and cons of blending vegetable oil with diesel fuel.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pro's and cons of blending vegetable oil with diesel fuel.

I live in a townhouse and it isn't practical to be processing waste oil into biodiesel because of fumes etc.
    Is it a practical solution, if I can get some waste oil free or cheap, to filter it and then add it to regular diesel say in the ratio of 10-20% as a fuel extender. I have heard of marine diesel users adding olive oil as an additive to their diesel fuel, and getting better fuel economy, but this is taking it a step further, actually burning the raw vege oil in my car, but not to the extent that it will clog injectors etc.

I already use several aftermarket diesel additives which are supposed to make the fuel burn more cleanly, so I would continue to use these, and hopefully I would get away with adding a few litres of filtered waste oil per fill without causing damage to the engine. I have a 2003 Citroen C5 with a 2.0 litre common rail turbodiesel engine.

If anyone has any experience with this, or an opinion on whether it is possible or advisable, please comment.

Also, I am on the Gold Coast, so if someone knows of an oil source in my area that would be handy to know too.
    As my needs would not be great, perhaps I can join forces with a local if I go ahead with this.
    Of course, if someone is making biodiesel on the Gold Coast, I'd be happy to pay a reasonable price for some ready made biodiesel.
    I was contemplating driving to Brisbane for it at one point, but it didn't make sense cost-wise as I'd be burning more than I'd be saving,
    just to get there. If I could pick some up locally, I'd be much more interested in taking some biodiesel off the hands of a local for an agreed price.

Re: Pro's and cons of blending vegetable oil with diesel fuel.

Originally posted by AusKiwi View Post
    I live in a townhouse and it isn't practical to be processing waste oil into biodiesel because of fumes etc.
    Is it a practical solution, if I can get some waste oil free or cheap, to filter it and then add it to regular diesel say in the ratio of 10-20% as a fuel extender. I have heard of marine diesel users adding olive oil as an additive to their diesel fuel, and getting better fuel economy, but this is taking it a step further, actually burning the raw vege oil in my car, but not to the extent that it will clog injectors etc.
    This is exactly the same thing as you describe using olive oil

I already use several aftermarket diesel additives which are supposed to make the fuel burn more cleanly, so I would continue to use these, and hopefully I would get away with adding a few litres of filtered waste oil per fill without causing damage to the engine. I have a 2003 Citroen C5 with a 2.0 litre common rail turbodiesel engine.
    Most aftermarket fuel additives are an expensive purchase with no proven benefits

If anyone has any experience with this, or an opinion on whether it is possible or advisable, please comment.
    If you search the site for 'common rail' you may find others using vegetable oil fuel.

Also, I am on the Gold Coast, so if someone knows of an oil source in my area that would be handy to know too.
    As my needs would not be great, perhaps I can join forces with a local if I go ahead with this.
    Where do you plan to store the unfiltered oil, filter it and store the filtered oil? If you are in a townhouse, you may not have the room to store much oil. How much oil would you use per month? How much oil do you have room to store? (under cover so it does not get water in it). How do you plan to blend the oil / fuel to ensure a consistent blend?
    Oil filtering is easier with long term settling of the oil. Filtering options include cartridge filters, bag filters and even centrifuging the oil.
    Of course, if someone is making biodiesel on the Gold Coast, I'd be happy to pay a reasonable price for some ready made biodiesel.
    I was contemplating driving to Brisbane for it at one point, but it didn't make sense cost-wise as I'd be burning more than I'd be saving,
    just to get there. If I could pick some up locally, I'd be much more interested in taking some biodiesel off the hands of a local for an agreed price.
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Working...
    X