Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre-diesel pump heat exchanger

Hi all,

I'd like to thin out veg oil before it hits the diesel pump, as a means to ensure the pump isn't overworking - this won't resolve the temperature of the oil which is after the exchanger when first starting, but, to me it would seem logical that while the pump might be overworked during the first few minutes of starting, at the very least post-warmup it's under less stress.

Is this a reasonable conclusion and worth the effort? I run blended fuel and would like to reduce the percentage of unleaded which will thicken the viscosity of the oil, hence my above thinking.

Re: Pre-diesel pump heat exchanger

Medion,
    I have moved your post from Making Biodiesel section to SVO Users, so that it is in the correct section.
    My thinking is that the more stress you have on a piece of machinery (above what it is designed for), the shorter it's life.
    If you have a rotary IP, then I feel that it would be well worth the additional heating. You don't need to get it to 80°C because you have already thinned the oil with petrol, so a small heat exchanger should suffice.

Regards,
    Tony
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Thanks Tony - I inadvertently was in the wrong forum when I posted that, you put it in the right place!

Appreciate your advice - I'm still a bit worried about starting on blended oil, it simply can't be that good for the pump. I think maybe it's time to add a small diesel starter tank and switch over to pure WVO - it would remove the blend step from my process.

I'm thinking about a 4 litre surge tank for holding my starter diesel:

With the surge tank (containing diesel) and main tank (containing WVO) switched with this:

Which then feeds into a FPHE and into the fuel filter:

Conceptually is that more or less sound?

Comment

Hi Medion,

I think you are on the right track. The Twin tank setup is generally the easiest to run. Allows for clean diesel startup and flush. There is plenty of information on it in the forums, and plenty with extra ideas.

Personally I never found SVO starting a problem in WA in summer months. And once up to temp, the residual heat from both engine and return of heated oil back into your tank meant for SVO starting all day.

I gave up blending with Unleaded after my first 20 litres.. LOL

SVO all the way...

I have only returned to blending ( this time with diesel and under pressure ) when I converted my CRD 3l Patrol.

-merv
        Nissan Patrol 2007 CRD 3.0l

Pre-heated oil - Blended Injection Pre-Rail - Flash Tuned for efficancy

2004 TD42T Nissan Patrol - Wife Proof ( Electronic change over / temp control / auto purge etc )

100% SVO since 2006 - SIMPLE NO FUSS Setup. 5 West to East to West Crossings, Numerous Adventures, and Many Weekend Trips... 350 000 kms + on SVO and counting

Conversions to date :
        1 x Nissan CRD 3.0l, 2007

2 x Nissan RD2.8t 1998,1999
        4 x Nissan 4.2TD 1996,2001,2004,2006
        2 x Ford Ranger (pre TDCi) 2004,2006
        2 x Toyota Trayback Commercials 3l TD : Both 2000+ Imports Di's
        1 x Electric Start 8hp Cement Mixer - NON TURBO !!!
        1 x 5hp Water Pump - Also NON TURBO !!!!

Comment

Merv,
          I recommend that you consider using motorised ball valves to control the fuel flow. They only draw power when they are opening or closing. Search ebay for "motorised ball valve +3 port + 12V"
          You should find some good ones from China for around AU$30 each (plus or minus $10) including shipping.
          If your vehicle already has a return line from the IP and injectors back to the fuel tank, you should add a valve in that path also, so you return the fuel to the tank it came from.
          Keep up the good work,
          Tony
          Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
          '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
          '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
          '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
          '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
          '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
          '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
          '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
          '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
          '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
          '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
          '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
          '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
          Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Working...
          X