Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1hz pump rebuilt costs

Hello guys,

I have just recently purchased a 78 series troopy which seems to have some IP issues. Long story short, because I have found water and dirt residues in the fuel filter just after driving 100ks home from the dealership, I am getting them to pay for it. I got a price in Lismore for a complete rebuild for around 3.5k

However the dealer knows a guy in Omeau who would do it for $1.5k.
    He obviously prefers to use his guy, I am a bit sus about it.

Any thoughts please, last time I got mine done in the 75 series by Diesel Australia in Springwood it cost me 2.5k.

thanks

Jens
    1990 Toyota Hilux LN106 with ATG 2 tank system (sold after running 150.000 ks on mainly WVO)

1993 Toyota 75 Series with 1 HDT conversion, 75l factory tank and a custom 170l under tray tank. (Retired with 680.000ks on the clock mostly running on BIO and on WVO)

2006 Landcruiser Troopcarrier 1HZ with DTS Turbo Kit, 170ltr long range tank currently not converted, running on B100

"him who never made a mistake, made no discovery either"

Re: 1hz pump rebuilt costs

Had my pump rebuilt years ago (maybe 7 or so years? not sure?) by a bloke who i paid $2.5k. Told him it must have viton seals in it when rebuilt. I didnt know what I was looking at and accepted it on face value when it came back. 12 months later the seal failed of course.

$1500 on todays market sounds pretty darn cheap. I would be asking for all the dead parts back, but he would probably just give you a handful of crap from another pump.

agree - sounds a little sus.

Comment

Get the dealership to commit to a warranty on the rebuilt pump. I would suggest 20 - 50KKm.
      Unfortunately, they are unlikely to honour it if you use veggie oil or biodiesel in it.
      Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
      '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
      '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
      '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
      '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
      '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
      '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
      '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
      '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
      '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
      '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
      '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
      '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
      Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

When I was having issues with my Rodeo pump recently, I got a quote for $1,200 for an exchange rebuilt pump, so $1,500 seems in the right ballpark. When quizzed about Viton, he said that is all he has used for more than 10 years. My understanding is that supposedly everyone switched to Viton when low-sulphur diesel was introduced and everybody had to have their pump rebuilt.
        3DB
        1995 Holden (Isuzu) Rodeo 2.8TD 4X4 - B100 since April 2013
        1976 Mercedes 300D Turbo 'The Coal Grenade' - B100 since May 2016 - SOLD
        1994 Peugeot 405 SRDT 1.9L intercooled turbo diesel (Shitbox Rally car.) - B100 since August 2019 - SOLD
        @thirddegreeburns on Instagram
        @thirddegreeburns2019 on Facebook

Comment

Hi 3DB,

Originally posted by 3DB View Post
          My understanding is that supposedly everyone switched to Viton when low-sulphur diesel was introduced and everybody had to have their pump rebuilt.
          Unfortunately that is not the case. Some Original Equipment Manufacturers have switched to viton hoses and seals while others still use Rubber (Nitrile).
          There was a good discussion on the forum about 12 years ago concerning this very problem.
          Here is the discussion, I recommend reading the whole thing- https://www.biofuelsforum.com/thread...ighlight=viton

I did some research a number of years ago about what caused the leaking problem when we switched to ULS diesel and the story goes something like this.
          The leaking problem only occurred on some "older" diesels that used Rubber (Nitrile) seals and hoses. There was not a problem with newer Rubber (nitrile) seals or hoses.
          Apparently the hydrotreatment procedure that removes the sulfur in the diesel also removes some aromatics from the diesel.
          Aromatics causes some types of rubber (nitrile) to swell so older IP's may contain swollen seals. When the aromatics are removed from the diesel fuel, the swollen older seals will shrink thus causing a leak.
          If you have new seals in your IP they will not be affected by the lack of aromatic content so there is no leak.
          That means there is no reason for manufacturers to switch to the more expensive viton seals when the Rubber (Nitrile) will work fine as long as they are only used with ULS Diesel fuel.
          tillyfromparadise
          Last edited by tillyfromparadise; 28 September 2019, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X