Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking at converting my 2002 Landcruiser with 1HZ engine to WVO

Hi all,

My first post. I am considering converting my 2002 landcruiser with a 1HZ motor to run on WVO.

I have been ready the posts on this forum for the past week and I cannot find any info on anyone converting a 1HZ motor to SVO/WVO. a couple have been run on biodiesel.

I am looking at purchasing a kit http://www.4x4outdoortuning.com.au/diesel-to-vegetable-oil-conversion/diesel-wvo-vegetable-oil-conversion/to-75-kw-100-hp-diesel-to-vegetable-oil-conversion-svo-wvo-kit-12v-24v.html. would this kit be suitable or should I source individual components myself.

I have 1HZ motor (320,000 kms) with a rotary IP (Denso) indirect injection. I have ready rotary Injection pumps are not preferred, but will be ok if oil heated sufficiently.

The landcruiser already has 2 tanks so I was wondering if I can use the main tank for the WVO and the secondary for diesel to startup and purge?

I have a steady supply of oil from 2 sources in Newcastle. I currently go through around 80-100 litres of diesel a week, so converting will save me $$$ quickly. Mostly freeway driving. I have already been collecting for the last month. I currently have 2 x 220L blue plastic barrels settling the oil that I filtered through a plastic fly screen and then bed sheet. Just bought a couple of 1 micron filter from Tony from west oz on ebay and will put the settled oil through these before transfering into another 2 barrels.

Look forward to getting further advise from you all and also sharing my experience as I go through the process.

Regards
    Paul

Re: looking at converting my 2002 Landcruiser with 1HZ engine to WVO

Paul, Welcome to the forum.
    I recommend that you source the components yourself.
    As you already have 2 tanks, you need to identify how they are configured. Is the return line switched so that the veggie oil goes back to its own tank and the diesel to its tank? If not, you may need to make sure it does. It is most likely that it is that way.

The kit you linked has components you are unlikely to need.
    Your tanks already have a switch to select the tank in use and the valves that the switch controls.
    You can easily make a heat exchanger by soldering a 1/4" copper pipe to a copper pipe of the same size as the heater hoses. Using the heater circuit is best as it heats up faster than the radiator (due to thermostat).
    The rest of the kit is just the bells and whistles that add to the cost.
    The additional fuel filter is easy. Just get a Toyota fuel filter head from a wreckers.
    You should install the veggie oil filter in the fuel line from the veggie oil tank before the changeover valve.
    feel free to ask if you feel you need help.
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Hi Paul,

Welcome to the world of grease :-)

First of all, I have been running this kit in my first WVO converted car which was a Hilux. It all depends on what your capabilities are. Dirk who sells these kits also installs them very neatly. I had him doing it for me as I did not have much of an idea at the time and didn't want to get stuck on the side of the road on my way to work because a connection came lose or so on.
      The kit itself is very tidy, you get the control panel in the cab, just flick it to auto and it will change once the coolant is hot. It will beep if you forgot to flush the fuel lines and shut off the engine. No need to flush if you're stopping for less than 45 minutes.
      all components are well designed and thought trough.
      To sum it up, if you're after something to get you started, have the money for it and want peace of mind, I would highly recommend it.
      If you're handy with electrics and don't mind trail and error give it a go yourself.
      I run my own business and calling up the client to say I have a broken down vehicle was not very appealing :-)
      I made Bio as a start up fuel and came across a 1200ltr VAT, so no need for WVO anymore, however, I have done a convertion on the Landcruiser so I can run WVO on the long distance trips, but I have to manually do all the switching and have to remember to flush the fuel lines.
      Your 1HZ will do fine, just don't be to stingy with the flushing times, set it to the higher site and you'll be fine.
      1990 Toyota Hilux LN106 with ATG 2 tank system (sold after running 150.000 ks on mainly WVO)

1993 Toyota 75 Series with 1 HDT conversion, 75l factory tank and a custom 170l under tray tank. (Retired with 680.000ks on the clock mostly running on BIO and on WVO)

2006 Landcruiser Troopcarrier 1HZ with DTS Turbo Kit, 170ltr long range tank currently not converted, running on B100

"him who never made a mistake, made no discovery either"

Comment

G'day Paul, I run a 1hdt series 80 cruiser on VO, as long as you have it set up right it works well. I don't use a kit, made it up myself and you need to have the following for it to work in my opinion. A good heat exchanger, inline filter, bypass the return lines to the tanks and an inline pump. Without a push pump, in cold weather the engine may tend to starve as the oils is thick and during winter her in Tas, I put 10% dino.bd in the vo. On all my other engines, have 12mm fuel lines, but these engines have 10mm lines and by re-routing the returns, the pumps don't have to work hard and you get heated fuel quicker after starting. If you don't re-route the return lines, you will end up contaminating your aux with vo and that may lead to trouble

That way you can use the aux tank for dino/BD and the main for VO, I also have a 5lt purge tank under the bonnet for emergencies and you must purge for at least 12klm, I do 16-20klm. Some where on this forum there is a post of mine with photo's of the setup, it's easy to do and doing it yourself, means you know the system so can fix any problems that arise.

My 1hdt has only done about 7000klms on VO, but have been running Di in a 60series 12ht for years without any problems. Had a main tank fuel block in mine a couple of weeks ago and it was just a matter of switching tanks and pumping the fuel through with the inline pump. If you decide to do it yourself, don't hesitate to ask questions here.
        Alga
        Last edited by Alga; 22 October 2018, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Hi Alga,

Originally posted by Alga View Post
          G'day I put 10% dino.bd in the vo.
          I am curious what "dino.bd" is

Comment

Originally posted by tillyfromparadise View Post
            Hi Alga,

I am curious what "dino.bd" is
            ​Really Tilly???
            1990 Toyota Hilux LN106 with ATG 2 tank system (sold after running 150.000 ks on mainly WVO)

1993 Toyota 75 Series with 1 HDT conversion, 75l factory tank and a custom 170l under tray tank. (Retired with 680.000ks on the clock mostly running on BIO and on WVO)

2006 Landcruiser Troopcarrier 1HZ with DTS Turbo Kit, 170ltr long range tank currently not converted, running on B100

Comment

Thanks for the replies and advice.

I will research buying components myself and check the 2 tank return lines before committing to purchasing the kit. I spoke to Dirk about him installing it but he's a bit too far away and would be beyond my current budget.

my trip to work is 75km each way so I have to wait for the oil to warm up (how long does this usually take?) and then purge for at least 12 km. So if i'm guessing around 25km will be on diesel and the remaining 50km will be VO, will still a good saving. And better for environment!

I'll keep collecting oil and getting my settling system all setup and running smoothly while doing the research into the mods and parts for the engine conversion. so much learnt from this forum already and so much more to go. I didn't know about testing for moisture in the oil was required until reading some of the posts here. Naive me though this would be a weekend job to convert and run the car for free

Cheers
              Paul

Comment

Hi Bueff,

Originally posted by Bueff View Post
                ​Really Tilly???
                Yes, I have never run across something called "dino.bd" before

Comment

Hi Paul,

In terms of heating up times, just have a look on your coolant temp gauge how long it takes to get to "normal operating temperature" that's when you would switch over to WVO. In my cruiser it takes 3 km max. But that includes a hill. It may be warming up fast because of that.

You're not wrong. It will take a weekend to convert the car to WVO, if you have all the bits and pieces handy And don't forget, no system is ever completed or perfect, it's kind of addictive in a way to change a little thing here or there.

Comment

This is just my opinion, but don't do it. Have a look at this thread http://www.biofuelsforum.com/threads...th-1HDT-on-SVO

I had been making bio and running it on all my vehicles for years, but a while back I got lazy and thought I'd give WVO a go. If you want to go this route make sure you read all the stickys.

Here's what you have to take into account. The IP must be flushed extensively with dino before you stop the engine. The amount of flushing required completely offsets the cost saving by not using bio (I make bio for about 20c/L but WVO is free). And obviously the more short trips you do the more this is an issue.

If you don't flush adequately, it can destroy your engine by glazing the cylinders. There is at least one account on this forum of that happening. Conversely, if you run on bio, the very worst that can happen is that you'll need to get your IP rekitted with biocompatible seals.

Also, there's all the buggerising around with heat exchangers.

So, as far as I'm concerned at least, manufacturing biodiesel is the better option.

Comment

Paul,
                      The simplest, cheapest option is to run a blend of 10%ULP and 90% veggie oil.
                      This will happily run in your vehicle with no problems (once you get rid of the diesel bugs in the tanks)
                      I recommend adding a prefilter before the main filter to catch any diesel bug from the tank.
                      Leave the factory filter in place and get a reasonably large filter (larger than the factory one, but not massive) to use as the prefilter. It should be in the order of 5 - 15 microns rating.
                      I have been running a blend for about 6 years now and apart from a problem with O rings in the C250 D that I had, the blend was great.
                      If you get hard hot starting in Summer, reduce the ULP proportion, If you get hard cold starting issues in Winter increase the ULP proportion (max 20%)

There is an increasing number of us doing this.
                      Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Previous Vehicles:
                      '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
                      '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mark View Post
                        This is just my opinion, but don't do it. Have a look at this thread http://www.biofuelsforum.com/threads...th-1HDT-on-SVO

I had been making bio and running it on all my vehicles for years, but a while back I got lazy and thought I'd give WVO a go. If you want to go this route make sure you read all the stickys.

Here's what you have to take into account. The IP must be flushed extensively with dino before you stop the engine. The amount of flushing required completely offsets the cost saving by not using bio (I make bio for about 20c/L but WVO is free). And obviously the more short trips you do the more this is an issue.

If you don't flush adequately, it can destroy your engine by glazing the cylinders. There is at least one account on this forum of that happening. Conversely, if you run on bio, the very worst that can happen is that you'll need to get your IP rekitted with biocompatible seals.

Also, there's all the buggerising around with heat exchangers.

So, as far as I'm concerned at least, manufacturing biodiesel is the better option.

Mark, I have been using Blended WVO in a 1 tank system without heating or flushing the system for over 6 years with no impact on the engines of the cars I have had in that time.
                        Try 10% ULP in your tank and forget about flushing.

Previous Vehicles:

Comment

Thanks Mark and Tony,

i am am not keen on making bio as I don’t understand the process yet and would prefer to do as little as possible. I Have set up a filtering system that will give me the 100l a week by settling and having a couple of filter feed by gravity. I am on rural block off grid and don’t have access to power where my setup is.

tony
                          ill definitely research more into the blending. Sounds simpler. Is there any mods required to the engine apart from the prefilter? I have been waiting for the filtering system to fill. I currently only have 600 litres running through it and willl need another 400 litres until final product is coming out. I will need to test the outcome first but hoping all that settling works.

cheers Paul

Comment

Yes I reckon blending is by far and away the better option to all the mucking around involved with an SVO setup. I've only done it on one vehicle (a W124 Merc) and it worked a treat. I wouldn't do it on a common rail engine as the fuel systems are far more sensitive to viscosity issues but that's not a problem you'll have with your 1HZ

Comment

The 1HZ engine uses a rotary injection pump.

Blending is fine, but it's still a 2 tank conversion for you (use one of the tanks for diesel or bio diesel for purging/flushing on shutdown), unless you want to be stranded with a vehicle that won't start when the temperature drops a little and causes your blend to thicken.

And then there's the long term wear on the pump if you somehow manage to regularly start the vehicle on a blend.
                              83Patrol
                              Donating Member
                              Last edited by 83Patrol; 30 November 2018, 08:00 AM.
                              1987 Mercedes W124 300D
                              1997 Ssangyong Musso Wagon

Comment

Working...
                              X