Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building my Processor

I finally start my processor.
    it is based on a 44 gallon drum (205 litres for the US members) with a steel rolled cone bottom and a heater element fitted in the cone.

attached are some pictures of the beginning.
    Rob is sizing up the cone in the top picture and then in the second picture we have cut out the bottom of the drum and scored the outer rim for rolling the side up to match with the cone.
    As you can see on the cone is the thread for the heater element to screw into and the threaded nuts are for the earth and element cover to screw into.

As you can see Rob is using his high quality Chinese work boots.

Will post more as it comes along.
    building processor.pdf

Michael
    97 Jeep XJ Cherokee on B100. 0 km's on B100 and counting !!!! (Sold)
    2002 Merc ML270 now on B100. (Sold)
    2006 Ssangyong Musso 2.9 t idi (Sold)
    2015 NP300 Navara ( Sold )
    2018 NP300 Navara ( B5 )

Stainless processor with blue water pump.
    Tetragonula Hockingsi

Take the Leap and grow wings on the way down

Re: Building my Processor

Hi Michael,

How much does the cone hold? I forgot to ask you the other day. If its less than 40L, you might struggle to make 200L batches. For free board etc, you might end up with 150 or 160L batches with that setup?

I usually get about 30 litres or so of glycerin, but this can be minimised using different mix techniques, as you know.

if your glycerine goes hard before you manage to get it out, a tap on the side of the drum above glycerin level would be handy

Are you gunna agitate or pump? Agitate works a treat. I have got a motor for you if you want one. just let me know.

The meth mixers that Grey Hair and I use work really well too.

Congrats mate - exciting stuff!

Comment

Cade

thanks for the input.
      To be honest I don't know how much the cone holds but some rough calcs will take place real soon.
      Yes I have taken your advice with regards to the taps on the side. I couldn't think of anything worse than having to remove a bad batch.

I will have a pump for cycling in and out of fluid but an agitator for the real work. after looking at yours and also experience with pump mixing , the agi is the way to go.
      at this stage it will just be a twisted metal agitator on a shaft with the drive motor on the side of the processor with some kind of drive connnection. work in progress.

As for the methoxide mixer , as I cannot get rid of my old processor I will use these parts to intergrate into the new machine. That way I have a cone bottom Methoxide mixer good for 40 litres and also 200 litre oil storage or wash tank on the other side and will use the gear pump for oil and fuel movements.
      I have been looking at QB70 pumps to install on the side or the processor to help out.
      hopefully after this I can use my QB40 to attach to a storage drum on a dolley to wheel to the car for fuel station.
      2018 NP300 Navara ( B5 )

Tetragonula Hockingsi

Comment

If you wanna stick your head over at some stage I can probably round up the bits and pieces you might need to finish off the project (motors, pulleys, belts - that sort of stuff). Let me know.

Comment

O the drum, all the inside paint will disolve I think. One thing we got caught with was fumes from the brew shorted out the agi motor. Beat it with a good lid and little fans blowing on the 1 horse motor. Have plenty of fans if you want some. Use a brass gate valve on the bottom because it's easy to poke something through to get glunk moving

Comment

Originally posted by SUZUDDIS View Post
            I finally start my processor.
            it is based on a 44 gallon drum (205 litres for the US members) with a steel rolled cone bottom and a heater element fitted in the cone.

attached are some pictures of the beginning.
            Rob is sizing up the cone in the top picture and then in the second picture we have cut out the bottom of the drum and scored the outer rim for rolling the side up to match with the cone.
            As you can see on the cone is the thread for the heater element to screw into and the threaded nuts are for the earth and element cover to screw into.

As you can see Rob is using his high quality Chinese work boots.

Will post more as it comes along.
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]2020[/ATTACH]

Michael
            wow.. that looks great ... how did ya go welding it on ... do you use a mig ? ...i think idd just blow holes all over the place ....

Comment

Yes we did blow holes everywhere. But I think Rob's Mig wire was a bit big. I've got my hands on a Stainless steel tank now so that will be good when I get it home.
              As for the drum I still have it if anyone has a better idea of welding mild steel.

Michael
              Originally posted by scuzzyonethong View Post
              wow.. that looks great ... how did ya go welding it on ... do you use a mig ? ...i think idd just blow holes all over the place ....
              2018 NP300 Navara ( B5 )

Tetragonula Hockingsi

Comment

you could screw and glue.......

Comment

Ok , it's been a while.
                  I have changed direction and have a Stainless processor that Matt found at a mates place. Its been a slow process but because of me taking so long to make decissions and getting parts.
                  Hopefully the photos attached will tell some kind of story but it is of the original stainless vessel. I have had the pipe at the bottom removed and a heater installed.
                  More photos will come with regards to the modifications.

If anyone has any ideas they are always welcome. For the time being while I move house not a lot will happen but as soon as I pick it up this week I'll post up to date images of changes and why I made them.

From the outset I planned on making a processor from a 44 Gallon drum with a welded cone on the bottom. this proved to be too hard. I don't have the required skills or the equipment to perform this myself so asked a mate to do it. I think his welder wasn't what was needed so we gave up and started again.

Now it's a stainless processor and I don't know what volume yet until I correctly measure up.
                  I plan to install an agitator with some kind of drive and impellor.[
                  ATTACH]2022[/ATTACH]

regards

Michael
                  Attached Files
                  2018 NP300 Navara ( B5 )

Tetragonula Hockingsi

Comment

Lookin good.
                    Can you still drain the cone from the bottom?

Regards,

Tony
                    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
                    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
                    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
                    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
                    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
                    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
                    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
                    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
                    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
                    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
                    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
                    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
                    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
                    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

suz, IMO a big pump is the best mixer my processor does 700litre batches (1000L capacity cone bottom) 2 inch in and outlets with a i think its 500litres per minute pump cost me about $300 i think. it causes alot of turbulance and mixes extremely well and with the outlet going through the lid i dont get meth vapour going everywhere. I previously used stirers on smaller reactors and they worked well but this pump is the ducks guts.
                      Cheers
                      Nick.
                      Harold 2002 Toyota Landcruiser 105 series. 4.2lt turbo glide turbo, Too lazy to make bio nowdays times money. 3'' lift.

Roidio 2001 Holden Rodeo 4x4 2.8L TD. 2.5" exhaust sytem, H/E shower system. 4" Lift, Airbags, And lots of fruit, B100 for 55,000 . SOLD

Elsa 1983 Mercedes-Benz W123 300D. Still The Fastest Merc in Oz, Self built and Female proofed. COUSINS NOW
                      sigpic

Comment

If your having trouble rounding up bits Michael, Grey hair and I should be able to peice together anything else your missing mate.

Just let me know what you need and I'll see if I can scrounge it.

Cheers.

Comment

Sorry for the late replays.
                          Tony , yes I can still drain from the bottom. I have asked that the bendy pipe thing be chopped and replaced with a "T". that way I can tap off one side or pump off the other side.

Nick , my concerns with pumps is the amount of time needed to process with pumps. while I understand I wouldn't require a large pump like you have I figured an agitator with motor would be more suited to this device. Who knows what will happen but I'll certainly look into it.

Cade , thanks mate for the offer. I haven't picked it up yet because I have quickly run out of time this week. Hopefully I won't piss Matt off by leaving it at his place too long. Promise mate I'll get it soon !!!
                          I have plenty of options but my biggest is the bearing conundrum with how I mount the drive assembly. One step at a time for now.

I'll post some more when I pick up. Thanks for all the advice.

Michael
                          2018 NP300 Navara ( B5 )

Tetragonula Hockingsi

Comment

In my experience A big pump makes it quite a violent mixing process and it is definantly more practical than an agitator for larger setups. Plumb and play. no bearings, mounts or spark hazards right above your brew. If you only have ever used qb80's and the like i understand your hesitaion but trust me on this a big F@#k off pump is the best and safest option.
                            RODEONICK
                            Too Busy To Bio.
                            Last edited by RODEONICK; 11 February 2013, 07:45 PM. Reason: Clarification of personal experiences Vs Publicised facts.
                            Cheers
                            Nick.
                            Harold 2002 Toyota Landcruiser 105 series. 4.2lt turbo glide turbo, Too lazy to make bio nowdays times money. 3'' lift.

Roidio 2001 Holden Rodeo 4x4 2.8L TD. 2.5" exhaust sytem, H/E shower system. 4" Lift, Airbags, And lots of fruit, B100 for 55,000 . SOLD

Elsa 1983 Mercedes-Benz W123 300D. Still The Fastest Merc in Oz, Self built and Female proofed. COUSINS NOW
                            sigpic

Comment

Hi Nick,

I just had a look at your other piccies on your other thread, and boy, the extra space would be great! Love your trolly by the way....

With regard to small setups (reletively speaking that is) like Michael is proposing, I think there is value in using cheap (if not free) components. I am guessing you dropped some major coin on that pump and drive unit? How long do you run the mixing pump for? There would be no doubt that inside the impellor housing it would be unbeleivably turbulent, not to mention inside the mixer! but if you are going to run your mixer for a reasonable length of time anyway, a smaller agitator does the trick nicely. doesnt use much power, is quiet, easy to install yourself and above all can be built and installed for no cost.

I take your point regarding sparks and fumes etc, but that is easily overcome. Mount the motor to the side and run a pulley with a belt. Slap a sealed lid on it and viola!

I do bio for cost savings primarily, the green aspects are a side extra for me, so I try to keep my setup and running costs to a minimum. I know that not everyone has the same reasons as me, but there is no better place for money than in my back pocket!

great suggestion for a big setup though. the only thing better would be an outboard motor. Might have fun with the water galleries and water pump though!
                              Captaincademan
                              Last edited by Captaincademan; 8 February 2013, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X