Musso / Rexton 2.9L Turbodiesel Injector Pump fault

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Musso / Rexton 2.9L Turbodiesel Injector Pump fault

I have just had the first issue with the engine in my Rexton.
    My wife and I were on our way to the pool on Christmas Eve to have a bit of exercise and when I stopped to reverse into the parking bay, the engine stalled and stopped. No amount of cranking would get the engine to fire on more than 1 cylinder
    I had a friend tow me home and I set the issue aside for Christmas & New Year.
    This morning I rang an injector mechanic who diagnosed the fault as failure of the return line pressure relief valve
    If this valve fails in the open position, if you loosen the injector lines on top of the IP, you do not get any fuel for cylinders 1-4. Cylinder 5 gets fuel.
    My IP return line pressure relief valve has failed, and I can't start the car.
    I have removed the return line pressure relief valve and am trying to get a replacement.
    Bosch have it as an "agent only" part meaning that you have to purchase it thru Ssangyong, who, although they do not have the part, quoted me a price of $1000 for the part.

Do you know anyone who had a spare IP for the 2.9L turbodiesel?
    Alternatively, does anyone have the part number for this pressure relief valve / Return line banjo bolt?

Tony

Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Re: Musso / Rexton 2.9L Turbodiesel Injector Pump fault

Does it look like this?
    I got this form ELsbett but never used it.
    (I hope my pics are attached)
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by penangke View Post
      Does it look like this?
      I got this form ELsbett but never used it.
      (I hope my pics are attached)
      Thanks for the photo. Unfortunately that will not work in the Musso / Rexton IP.
      The attached photos show what it looks like.
      The pale green seal appears to be a requirement for this part, in this IP.
      I purchased a similar one to what you showed in the photo, but it will not allow the engine to run. The only visible difference is the pale green seal just adjacent to the threaded part of the body of the device.
      On mine, I cam blow air thru from the threaded end, but it should have a 1.5Bar relief valve there, so mine is cactus!

Regards,
      Tony
      Attached Files
      Tony From West Oz
      Vice Chairperson of WARFA
      Last edited by Tony From West Oz; 5 January 2021, 06:28 PM.
      Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Previous Vehicles:
      '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
      '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)

Comment

Yes, the one on the musso has that rounded end too.
        Shame.
        Jim

Comment

G'day Tony,
          I have never heard of this part before. Isn't it something that Bosch would supply?

Comment

Originally posted by tillyfromparadise View Post
            G'day Tony,
            I have never heard of this part before. Isn't it something that Bosch would supply?

Tilly,
            Bosh have the IP serial number as an "Agent Only" line. This means that they are not allowed to supply any part for it. I can only get it from the Ssangyong dealership.
            I have asked another dealership parts manager to see if he can get one for me. He will be sending me an email with price and availability (probably on Monday if I am lucky)

I am looking at Korean wrecker yards now.

Previous Vehicles:

Comment

Tony can you put the new wrong one in a lathe and turn a groove for an O ring? If you can’t get the right one that is.
              Johnnojack
              4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 200000km on WVO,(2020) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids FPHE, heated filter fuel line and tank pickup for thicker oil. Mk. 9 version now and no changes planned as trouble free.
              Mercedes W201 190D 1986 model: 2 tank system, bigger fuel line from tank, no heat exchanger, electric pump for diesel 22000km so far sigpic

Comment

Wouldn't the same part be used on the Mercedes and other manufacturers that use this IP?
                Also, there is a UK Ssang Yong website- they are in large numbers in the UK and Russia

Comment

Originally posted by tillyfromparadise View Post
                  Wouldn't the same part be used on the Mercedes and other manufacturers that use this IP?
                  Also, there is a UK Ssang Yong website- they are in large numbers in the UK and Russia
                  To get a part from any Dealership you need the VIN. The MB100 Van has a similar engine to the Musso, so I could get a MB100 van VIN to seek the correct part. That will be another avenue to obtain the part if the current enquiries fail to yield the part I need.

I am a member of the UK Ssangyong page as well as the Aussie one, so could enquire there.
                  As an interim measure, I have purchased a cheap Musso.
                  Upsides:
                  • Vehicle looks good but duco has marks from bush bashing.
                  • A/C works,
                  • Heater works,
                  • upmarket double DIN stereo installed
                  • engine runs well.

Downsides:
                  1. Transmission

• Transmission does not select first gear when moving from stationary it is in 3rd gear..
                  • Transmission does not shift up to 4th, remains in 3rd. Still OK to do 100km/h in 3rd though
                  • I can select first or second to move off from stationary and manually change up to 2nd and 3rd, but select D and you start in 3rd.
                    I have another transmission available, but it is slow to select reverse when cold.
                  • Rear bench armrests have come loose and come off the back rest. I replaced the rear seat today with one from my first Musso (which I have sold a lot of parts from)

2. Speedometer
                  • Speedometer and Odometer are not working. I use a GPS to check my speed. I will sort the speedo cable soon.

Price $600.

Previous Vehicles:

Comment

If anyone has had this issue with their Musso Automatic transmission and fixed it I would be grateful of any tips you can offer to overcome the transmission issues.
                    Thanks in Advance.

Previous Vehicles:

Comment

Tony I might have that part for you - as I am sure I have a IP in my workshop.

That trans is the same as in Ford Falcons, made in Albury - so you could try Falcon forums or Ford service centres etc.
                      1980 Mercedes 300TD 2 tank setup mainly using SVO and some WVO
                      1987 Toyota Landcruiser, 2 tank setup mainly using WVO
                      2006 Musso Sports - SVO two tank, stock dino, 140lt veggie

Comment

Originally posted by Grampiansmerc View Post
                        Tony I might have that part for you - as I am sure I have a IP in my workshop.

That trans is the same as in Ford Falcons, made in Albury - so you could try Falcon forums or Ford service centres etc.
                        Thanks,
                        I would appreciate obtaining a replacement return line pressure relief valve. Can I pay you for it? I am happy to pay for the valve and postage and what you may like for the valve also.
                        I will get onto a ford Falcon forum to see what they recommend with the transmission.
                        Tony
                        Tony From West Oz
                        Vice Chairperson of WARFA
                        Last edited by Tony From West Oz; 13 January 2021, 12:47 AM.

Previous Vehicles:

Comment

Tony I reckon this is not the first time you’ve fixed a car fault by buying another car. I’m not sure where you have the greatest skills, fixing cars or buying bargains. If you want to get out of that loop I reckon you should get a Jackaroo.
                          Johnnojack
                          4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 200000km on WVO,(2020) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids FPHE, heated filter fuel line and tank pickup for thicker oil. Mk. 9 version now and no changes planned as trouble free.
                          Mercedes W201 190D 1986 model: 2 tank system, bigger fuel line from tank, no heat exchanger, electric pump for diesel 22000km so far sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnojack View Post
                            Tony I reckon this is not the first time you’ve fixed a car fault by buying another car. I’m not sure where you have the greatest skills, fixing cars or buying bargains. If you want to get out of that loop I reckon you should get a Jackaroo.
                            JJ, I think that my budget is the cause of my need to fix vehicles. Being on a tight budget does not allow me to spend up big on the motoring front. I saved some cash from sales of chickens, sheep and vegetables which allowed me to buy the Musso. Even with the transmission issues, it is much better than the Musso tray-back ute. Air conditioning and heater are the main benefits, both of which are expensive to repair. With the tray-back, neither works.
                            I believe that the transmission issues are software related and I will work thru the procedures I have downloaded, from someone else's journey to fix their transmission issues, to see if I can overcome the Limp home mode which I believe that the transmission is stuck in.

When you see a potential bargain, one should research it and work to make it a real bargain, not just potential one.
                            I could be wrong though, but at least I will have a vehicle that will be easier on the body in Summer or Winter, even if it is only in 3rd gear.
                            If I can repair the Rexton IP, I will sell the tray-back Musso to recoup some of my costs with the new Musso ute.

If I bought a Jackeroo, I would likely have to buy one which has problems -and I will be in a similar boat, with less information and knowledge of the vehicle. At least I have spare parts in my first Musso (which I have sold parts off - including the IP - bugga)

Previous Vehicles:

Comment

Probably no help to you, but...

My auto Musso would not go into reverse. I "fixed" it by buying one form Melbourne wreckers for $800 delivered to Bris. He claimed it had only done 40,000 Kms. If true, it was worth it I reckon. Anyhow it has done about 10,000 k now and all fine.
                              Oh yeh, it also would jump down to 3rd for no reason. New box did the same. looked it up on British site and people said it was a common problem. Needed to change the Throttle sensor.(ABOUT $100 for the thing) Sure enough, fixed it immediately.
                              Changing heavy auto gearbox is not easy though, so another fix would be better for two reasons- money and work.

Comment

Working...
                              X