Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Methanol supplies

Hi
    I'm an absolute beginner and keen to have a go at a trial batch of BD. I'm stuck on trying to find a small quantity of methanol. Coogee Chemicals Kwinana will happily sell me 800 litres for $640, which is a great price but rather a lot for starters. Any tips anyone?
    Eric

Re: Methanol supplies

Hi Eric, methanol is used by the model aeroplane hobby and is mixed with oil and sometimes nitromethane to make a two stroke fuel for the model engines. If you ask at some of the hobby shops you might find one who will supply a quantity of methanol but make sure it is not mixed with any oil, you just want neat methanol. Most of them will have the fuel premixed and buy it in like that, but some carry bulk methanol for those that like to mix their own fuel.
    Another source could be people involved in racing cars, dragsters and the like. Some service stations here (QLD) sell 20ltrs for about $40.
    Regards
    Peter

Comment

Eric,
      The prices are a bit old, but try these companies:

Great Western Petroleum (Shell)
      22 Bracks St, Fremantle WA 6
      ph: (08) 9430 7888
      Methanol
      20L $43.00 ($2.15 @ litre)
      200L$214.50 ($1.07 @ litre)

Cooper & Dysart
      119 Kurnall Rd, Welshppol WA 6106
      ph: (08) 9351 8881
      Methanol
      20L $39.38 ($1.97 @ litre)
      200L$217.80 ($1.08 @ litre)

Recochem
      Bracks St, Fremantle WA
      ph: (08) 9433 4111
      DAA Ethanol (100% - no water)
      20L $93.50 ($4.68 @ litre)
      200L$327.80 ($1.64 @ litre)

Westfuel
      Ph: 08 9353 2566
      Methanol$183.50 per 200 L drum, delivered

BM Racing
      ph: 0419919343
      27 McIntyre Way, Kenwick
      200 ltr. Drum of methanol for $210.00

Please let us know how you get on.
      Tony
      Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
      '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
      '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
      '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
      '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
      '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
      '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
      '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
      '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
      '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
      '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
      '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
      '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
      Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Excellent!
        Thanks very much. I will get back as soon as I get a chance.
        Eric

Comment

There is also the 2nd Coogee Methanol Agent in Osborne Park / Northern Suburbs to consider as well. RPW service Centre.

One thing to also consider with methanol supplies. is that many of the methanol suppliers are not supplying pure methanol. Many of them have caster oil and other additivies in them.

Coogee methanol is the only Pure Methanol in Australia that is refined and disributed from Australia. Drumed and sold direct to the user, there is no additives etc added to it at all.

One of our customers, who is making Bio Diesel locally asked me to hop onto these forums and let people know about us who were looking for not just methanol, but a quality methanol.

The Coogee Methanol is the one that the majority of racers use due to its high consistancy and purity.

Feel free to ask any questions on this if you wish and I will try to answer them.
          Want Methanol in Perth? Contact us at RPW - Largest Coogee Methanol distributor with stocks on hand at all times, with a delivery service.

Comment

How important is it to get quality menthanol? wouldn't the impurities just blend out during the methoxide mix and wash stage? I thought water % was more of a concern? I bought some methanol from a hobby shop with 1% water content but it cost me $25 for 5 liters. very expensive(this will be for some test batches before I get into the larger quantities).
            biomyown
            Last edited by biomyown; 20 December 2007, 04:11 AM.

Comment

Hey guys, sorry to bump this old post, but I figure its so high on google search results its still got its use >.<

Just found

Watsons Express Transport = (08) 9258 4855
              (Welshpool)

is happy to sell racing methanol (no additives) $50 for 20L, you have to supply your own fuel safe container though

Sigma Chemicals, Balcatta also sell methanol $162 for 20L ....lol i reckon it'd b one hell of a pure methanol for that price though

Comment

That's horrily expensive, its usually $250 for 200 litres. Share it between mates or decant to 20 litre containers. Much better bottom line costs.
                Biodiesel Bandit

Landcruiser '98 80 series B100.

Comment

Your telling me, but to be fair they'd only charge $250 for 200L, but since i only want 20L, (am trying to convince the missus that i definitely do need 200L of flammable fuel in my shed >.<) there bumping up the price... i reckon if i pull of my 1st batch successfully I'll go ahead and shell out the money for a big barrel

I was wondering if anyone out there in WA would be able to let me buy 20L from there personal barrel??

Cheers

Comment

CCD,
                    Did you check out the suppliers in my earlier (2005) post and the subsequent posts by others?
                    I am sure that the prices they charge would be significantly better than what you were quoted.

It id normal practice to charge the customer, any costs associated with selling small volumes of a product normally sold in larger volumes. There would also be a cost incurred in holding the remaining 175 litres until someone else wants to buy a 25L container full.

Regards,
                    Tony
                    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
                    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
                    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
                    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
                    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
                    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
                    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
                    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
                    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
                    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
                    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
                    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
                    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
                    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Hey Everyone,

I'm so glad I found this forum,!!

A few years on and I'm in the same boat as the original poster? I'm looking to make my first test batch for my first Diesel ever Ford Ranger.

I am in need of Methanol and Potassium Hydroxide. For some crazy reason No one in Australia puts Ingredients on their products. Someone told me Caustic Salt = Potassium Hydroxide(I bought some form Bunnings - https://www.bunnings.com.au/glitz-50...-soda_p4470481), but I'm worried... :0

Can anyone please direct me where I can buy Potassium Hydroxide and maybe 20-25liters of Methanol?

I will contact the suppers above but I just wanted to pre-emptively ask this since those responses are a few years old... lol

Cheers
                      Tonto...and the Loan Ranger

Comment

What you have there from Bunnings is Sodium Hydroxide. NaOH. Potassium Hydroxide is KOH. It will do the job, but remember the quantities need to be varied. If you want KOH look for chemical suppliers in the yellow pages.
                        To find Methanol search the yellow pages for 'Fuel merchants', then do a ring around.

Comment

Originally posted by Qwarla View Post
                          What you have there from Bunnings is Sodium Hydroxide. NaOH. Potassium Hydroxide is KOH. It will do the job, but remember the quantities need to be varied. If you want KOH look for chemical suppliers in the yellow pages.
                          To find Methanol search the yellow pages for 'Fuel merchants', then do a ring around.

Thanks so much for Clarifying. I am new to this . Yes, I checked yesterday after my reply realised it's Caustic Soda.

If anyone is looking for Methanol in small quantities from 1 liter up to 5 liter, I found some at Hobbytech Toys - https://hobbytechtoys.com.au/collections/methanol. They will post it out to your location.

I am so exited to make my first batch. Probably just going for a 10-20 liters to test.!!!

Thanks again for clarifying. I'll be doing the Dr Pepper way

Comment

Hi I was wondering where I can get 200 litre drums of methanol from in Newcastle or Sydney for a reasonable price?

Comment

This is $315 for 200 litres
                              https://powerplusfuel.com.au/shop_pr...tml?product=69
                              They have a location in Cesnock

Have a look at this page
                              https://www.google.com/search?q=meth...hrome&ie=UTF-8

tillyfromparadise
                              Last edited by tillyfromparadise; 15 December 2021, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X