Home heating using Veggie Oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home heating using Veggie Oil

I have been using veggie oil to heat our home for a few years now.
    I am running a converted slow combustion wood stove on used cooking oil.
    It uses an air blower, which provides air for the combustion and a copper pipe in the airflow carries the fuel into the burner bowl (High Temperature Stainless Steel) where combustion occurs.
    In our house, we have a wet back in the fire to boost our hot water system in Winter.
    I have a circulation pump to circulate the hot water to 3 hydronic radiators in the house. I can vary the speed of water circulation using a light dimmer. This allows me to concentrate on boosting the hot water system, or both boosting and home heating.
    The fuel is in a large storage tank on the outside wall of the house and I have a fuel filter and a small 12v fuel pump to provide pressure to push the oil thru the valves and into the burner bowl.
    I have a thermostat, monitoring the temperature of the water as it leaves the stove. I normally have it set at 60°C, but can set it higher or lower as required. The thermostat switches controls 2 solenoid valves which sends the oil flow to either of 2 needle valves, which set the low and high oil flow rates.
    On the high setting, the burner bowl glows cherry red.

Oil consumption is about 1.5 to 2 litres per hour.

Check out my you tube videos

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiQ8nhQjTxAs9MCSwUutblw

The first one is the prototype system which proved the concept and was outdoors to avoid accidental incineration of our home.
    The second video is when I converted the slow combustion stove to use cooking oil. Since then, I have had a cupboard made to cover the plumbing and electrical bits and moved the blower outside the house to reduce the noise levels.
    While the burner is noisy, like a flame thrower or small jet engine. We can still hold a conversation in the same room, without any difficulty, at normal speech levels.

Just thought that y'all might be interested in this, given that noting has being posted on the forum for a few days now.
    Stay safe, stay healthy.
    Tony
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Re: Home heating using Veggie Oil

Thanks for posting that. I've considered a similar option and may do it one day when I have some time.
    Currently I mix oil (and some pretty nasty fatty stuff at that) with sawdust, pack it into cardboard boxes and burn in the wood heater.
    I can get plenty of hardwood sawdust from a local furniture maker so it is easy enough for me to do this.

Comment

Re: Home heating using Veggie Oil

Originally posted by fattima View Post
      Thanks for posting that. I've considered a similar option and may do it one day when I have some time.
      Currently I mix oil (and some pretty nasty fatty stuff at that) with sawdust, pack it into cardboard boxes and burn in the wood heater.
      I can get plenty of hardwood sawdust from a local furniture maker so it is easy enough for me to do this.
      I used to do something similar with used cardboard 1 L Milk cartons.
      I had them packed in cardboard boxes holding 12. I had 20 - 30 boxes of them in my shed, at one stage, and it was not unusual to go thru 2 cartons on a cold Winter night.
      I still have 3 chaff bags of Jarrah sawdust in the workshop.
      Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
      '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
      '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
      '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
      '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
      '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
      '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
      '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
      '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
      '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
      '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
      '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
      '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
      Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Working...
      X