Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Axle breathers

Hi Team,

My Rodeo has extended axle breathers - basically a rubber vacuum hose that extends from the axle up high above the high tide mark if you were doing a water crossing.

My front one has been somehow leaking oil and a lot as of Saturday. The end of the pipe is up really high - like a couple of inches from the bonnet and there is something generating enough pressure to force oil all the way from the axle housing up and out the pipe. Seems really strange, especially as I haven't driven the ute in about 5 days. It has just been parked up and is oozing oil out the breather. It got quite warm on Saturday (but nowhere near like normal summer temps) and that is when I noticed it on the ground - a good 500 mL patch. It looked very clean too.

I haven't done any water crossings in at least a year, maybe more, so I doubt there is water in the diff.

Any thoughts one what could be causing it?
    3DB
    1995 Holden (Isuzu) Rodeo 2.8TD 4X4 - B100 since April 2013
    1976 Mercedes 300D Turbo 'The Coal Grenade' - B100 since May 2016 - SOLD
    1994 Peugeot 405 SRDT 1.9L intercooled turbo diesel (Shitbox Rally car.) - B100 since August 2019 - SOLD
    @thirddegreeburns on Instagram
    @thirddegreeburns2019 on Facebook

Re: Axle breathers

First thing I'd be doing is check the oil level.

Comment

Re: Axle breathers

Sounds odd, are you sure the breather only comes from the front diff? I have the gearbox teed into mine, however have never seen oil come out the top end of it. The only way I can imagine oil being forced out is by turning the diff upside down and parking (overturned car) in the hot sun.?.?
      Johnnojack
      4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 200000km on WVO,(2020) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids FPHE, heated filter fuel line and tank pickup for thicker oil. Mk. 9 version now and no changes planned as trouble free.
      Mercedes W201 190D 1986 model: 2 tank system, bigger fuel line from tank, no heat exchanger, electric pump for diesel 22000km so far sigpic

Comment

Working...
      X