Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shitbox Rally Spring 2019 completed on 100% home-brewed B100

Well folks, it's all done and dusted.

The Peugeot 405 SRDT was a rally weapon and we raised $7,361 for the Cancer Council.

I used about 300 litres of bio to cover just under 4,600 km from Sydney - Melbourne - Wentworth (NSW) - White Cliffs - Noccundra - Birdsville - Jundah - Hughenden - Townsville.

It was still running the original fuel filter that was in it when I picked it up from my grandparents in Brisbane. Total mileage on B100 was 6,000 km, so the tank must have been quite clean.

The only thing holding the car back was its low ground clearance, otherwise it was comparatively indestructible. We hit 130 km/h on a regular basis if there weren’t too many big dips.

I dropped tyre pressure to about 28 PSI and all we had was a very slow leak in one rear tyre by the end. We did put a small ding in one front rim, but the tyre held. There were hundreds of shredded tyres across the 250 entrants though.

The bash plate saved us many times, particularly on the road out of Birdsville where they lost 5 cars in a day due to rocks through the sump.

The Peugeot only suffered a blown cigarette lighter fuse and one tail light globe. We did shred all the mud flaps and lost 3 of them completely though. Otherwise not a mark on it.

In our buddy group we had:
    • 1 x AU Falcon - starter motor failed and EFI a few issues, but made it. Was only running on about 4 cylinders by the end. We put a call out on the radio for a spare starter motor and another AU dropped one off within 10 minutes! We rolled it across a table drain and replaced it in about 20 minutes. That is the beauty of having a Falcon or Commodore on the rally -heaps of spares.
    • 1 x VR Commodore - MAF sensor caused lots of dramas. One front strut also came loose and put a big ding in the bonnet. Made it all the way though.
    • 1 x Toyota Starlet - zero dramas other than a few tyres blown
    • 2 x Peugeot 505 2.4L petrol (circa 1986) - zero dramas. One tyre maybe from hitting a grid too hard. These things had heaps of clearance and they slowed down for nothing. I understand why they are so popular in North Africa now.

So against everyone’s expectations, the Peugeots dominated.

In total, about 10 out of the 250 total cars did not finish, mostly due to overheating or holed sumps. One car shredded its timing belt also. There may have been a couple of Euros where parts failed and there was no way to repair them. The older petrol Merc K-jet injection was a big problem for them. One W124 destroyed both front strut towers and put massive holes though the bonnet. They were able to weld them up and make it the rest of the way though. I estimate that at least 50% of cars completely lost their exhaust by the end. Another Merc took a grid a bit too hard and nose-dived, destroying the radiator. They removed the grille and strapped a spare out of a Commodore to the front and used parts from a Honda Accord exhaust to adapt the hoses.

There are some great photos up on Instagram and you don't need an account to view them. Check my link in my signature below and also search the hashtag #shitboxrally
    3DB
    1995 Holden (Isuzu) Rodeo 2.8TD 4X4 - B100 since April 2013
    1976 Mercedes 300D Turbo 'The Coal Grenade' - B100 since May 2016 - SOLD
    1994 Peugeot 405 SRDT 1.9L intercooled turbo diesel (Shitbox Rally car.) - B100 since August 2019 - SOLD
    @thirddegreeburns on Instagram
    @thirddegreeburns2019 on Facebook

Re: Shitbox Rally Spring 2019 completed on 100% home-brewed B100

Wow, What an experience!
    Are you keeping the Pug now or letting a new owner have some fun?

Tony
    Originally posted by 3DB View Post
    Well folks, it's all done and dusted.

The Peugeot 405 SRDT was a rally weapon and we raised $7,361 for the Cancer Council.

I used about 300 litres of bio to cover just under 4,600 km from Sydney - Melbourne - Wentworth (NSW) - White Cliffs - Noccundra - Birdsville - Jundah - Hughenden - Townsville.

It was still running the original fuel filter that was in it when I picked it up from my grandparents in Brisbane. Total mileage on B100 was 6,000 km, so the tank must have been quite clean.

The only thing holding the car back was its low ground clearance, otherwise it was comparatively indestructible. We hit 130 km/h on a regular basis if there weren’t too many big dips.

I dropped tyre pressure to about 28 PSI and all we had was a very slow leak in one rear tyre by the end. We did put a small ding in one front rim, but the tyre held. There were hundreds of shredded tyres across the 250 entrants though.

The bash plate saved us many times, particularly on the road out of Birdsville where they lost 5 cars in a day due to rocks through the sump.

The Peugeot only suffered a blown cigarette lighter fuse and one tail light globe. We did shred all the mud flaps and lost 3 of them completely though. Otherwise not a mark on it.

In our buddy group we had:
    • 1 x AU Falcon - starter motor failed and EFI a few issues, but made it. Was only running on about 4 cylinders by the end. We put a call out on the radio for a spare starter motor and another AU dropped one off within 10 minutes! We rolled it across a table drain and replaced it in about 20 minutes. That is the beauty of having a Falcon or Commodore on the rally -heaps of spares.
    • 1 x VR Commodore - MAF sensor caused lots of dramas. One front strut also came loose and put a big ding in the bonnet. Made it all the way though.
    • 1 x Toyota Starlet - zero dramas other than a few tyres blown
    • 2 x Peugeot 505 2.4L petrol (circa 1986) - zero dramas. One tyre maybe from hitting a grid too hard. These things had heaps of clearance and they slowed down for nothing. I understand why they are so popular in North Africa now.

So against everyone’s expectations, the Peugeots dominated.

In total, about 10 out of the 250 total cars did not finish, mostly due to overheating or holed sumps. One car shredded its timing belt also. There may have been a couple of Euros where parts failed and there was no way to repair them. The older petrol Merc K-jet injection was a big problem for them. One W124 destroyed both front strut towers and put massive holes though the bonnet. They were able to weld them up and make it the rest of the way though. I estimate that at least 50% of cars completely lost their exhaust by the end. Another Merc took a grid a bit too hard and nose-dived, destroying the radiator. They removed the grille and strapped a spare out of a Commodore to the front and used parts from a Honda Accord exhaust to adapt the hoses.

There are some great photos up on Instagram and you don't need an account to view them. Check my link in my signature below and also search the hashtag #shitboxrally
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Re: Shitbox Rally Spring 2019 completed on 100% home-brewed B100

Originally posted by Tony From West Oz View Post
      Wow, What an experience!
      Are you keeping the Pug now or letting a new owner have some fun?

Tony
      That is a bit of a sad story. I don't know what the fate of the Pug will be. It got auctioned for essentially the value of its weight in steel. I still feel quite disappointed about that as it was still a very good car, but I just couldn't look after another car where I live in Sydney (that would make 5 cars parked on an already crowded street) and driving it all the way back may have resulted in divorce proceedings. It would have cost $800 to have it shipped home also. I should have been more proactive about lining up a new home for it with someone who would continue to drive it. It was just such an unknown quantity too at the start of the rally because we had no idea what sort of condition it might be in by the end and I wouldn't never have dreamed that it would come out so well - not even needing a wheel alignment.
      3DB
      1995 Holden (Isuzu) Rodeo 2.8TD 4X4 - B100 since April 2013
      1976 Mercedes 300D Turbo 'The Coal Grenade' - B100 since May 2016 - SOLD
      1994 Peugeot 405 SRDT 1.9L intercooled turbo diesel (Shitbox Rally car.) - B100 since August 2019 - SOLD
      @thirddegreeburns on Instagram
      @thirddegreeburns2019 on Facebook

Comment

Working...
      X