Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Draft setup.

Hi folks.

I've drafted up a conversion plan. I'm grateful for any feedback - negative more than welcome. (I can take it!!)

The reason I have planned as such is so that the main tank can make use of the fuel filter heater when and if needed.

My main concern is that in having the fuel switch before the two filters would mean a longer WVO flush out period. That is OK - I intend to use whatever system I decide on in the end strictly for long trips. I can switch back to diesel well in advance of stopping and that would allow both fuel filters to be flushed.

Another concern is that my heated WVO might cool down too much in going through a second non heated filter/sedimenter.

Anyway - fire away!!

Re: Draft setup.

I see no reason to have two filters is series. One for the vege and one for the dino is how it should be. The 12v heating will help to preheat the wvo in the vege filter before fuel changeover. Otherwise 12v/100w will only make a marginal difference, because wvo is going through way too fast. I don't know what vehicle you're using but a Hiace/Hilux will throughput a half litre per minute. (unless you run a looped system, which has its' own set of drawbacks)

Personally, I prefer separate switching of feed and return circuits to preserve the quality of the startup fuel. Basically, I delay switching return line as follows:
    Switch to veg, return delayed by 20 seconds.
    Switch to dino, return delay 1.5 minutes.

Comment

I would do this on the WVO side --->

WVO Tank -->Pump -->30 plate HE -->CAV Filter -->20 plate HE -->6 way Polak Valve -->IP

And this on the Dino side-->

Dino Tank -->OEM Filter or CAV -->Polak Valve -->IP

If you get 2 Polak Valves you can delay the return to each tank so as you dont get to much cross mixing of the fuels, this is what I have done...
      TroopyHZJ75

225,000km on WVO and counting
      1991 HZJ75 Landcruiser Troopy
      Two Tank System- 90ltr Dino / 140ltr WVO
      30 plate HE
      CAV filter
      20 plate HE
      2 x 6 way pollack valves (one for delayed purge changeover)

Comment

Ok. So if I'm reading this correctly both of you are saying two filters is overkill. I'm listening!!

Thanks for the replies.

Comment

PS. The vehicle is a 2.8L Hilux.

Comment

Originally posted by Socrates View Post
            PS. The vehicle is a 2.8L Hilux.
            Here's the setup I used on a 2.8 Hilux:
            http://www.biofuelsforum.com/svo_use...html#post29287

Comment

two filters is overkill. I'm listening!!
              Yep. You will have enough problems with one. Onboard filtering problems are the most common problem you will read about on this forum.
              In tests I did some years ago, showed that hot vege was somewhere in the region of 4 times the viscocity of dino. Add this to some introduced fats and you've a recipe for fuel starvation with all the frustration that this can give. Power loss, starting difficulties, etc, etc.
              In excess of 500ml per minute is what the filter must pass unless you run a looped system. I personally don't favour looped systems as they have their own problems. In my opinion after running a CAV296, they are borderline to having enough throughput. Whatever your choice, the elements need to cheap and available. Your pusher pump is going to help but only postpone the inevitable filter change. There's lots to consider, lots of opinions and your set up is bound to "evolve" over time.

Comment

Originally posted by Socrates View Post
                Ok. So if I'm reading this correctly both of you are saying two filters is overkill. I'm listening!!

Thanks for the replies.
                Two filters is not overkill but 2 filters in series is not a good idea.
                You need 2 filters. 1 for veg and 1 for diesel. If you want 2 filters on the veg side then plumb them in parallel, not in series. It is not considered good practice to run both the veg and the diesel through the same filter.
                Filters for each system should be before the pollak valve.
                You need a vacuum gauge or, since you have a pusher pump, a vac/boost (pressure) gauge, in the line to the IP inlet. Then you can tell if you are approaching fuel starvation and tell when the filter is starting to clog up and should be replaced.

Comment

Originally posted by 98troopy View Post
                  Two filters is not overkill but 2 filters in series is not a good idea.
                  You need 2 filters. 1 for veg and 1 for diesel. If you want 2 filters on the veg side then plumb them in parallel, not in series. It is not considered good practice to run both the veg and the diesel through the same filter.
                  Filters for each system should be before the pollak valve.
                  You need a vacuum gauge or, since you have a pusher pump, a vac/boost (pressure) gauge, in the line to the IP inlet. Then you can tell if you are approaching fuel starvation and tell when the filter is starting to clog up and should be replaced.
                  Got it!! (I think )
                  I've abandoned the original two filters in series idea and going for something more traditional along the lines of the Vegiecars setup. After some significant reading I think this is my best bet.

Thanks for the replies and priceless advice.

I will be beginning my conversion this weekend and as parts come in I'll add them to the setup. I'm hoping to be finished by the long weekend.

Comment

or put the two filters in parallel to double the flow capacity
                    Toyota Landcruiser 1988 HJ61 Manual Wagon
                    12H-T turbo Direct Injection.
                    Twin Tank setup runs on 100% WVO after warm up. 30 plate FPHE with 80°C output, 12mm fuel lines
                    Start up and shut down electric fuel pump feeds IP direct.
                    Front 4WDSytstems Lokka, Rear ARB airlokka for quick escapes up sandhills. Performance GTurbo with 600mm FMIC gives 450nm @ 1700rpm at 20psi boost.

Comment

Working...
                    X