Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sump oil into Diesel. Is it to good to be true.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sump oil into Diesel. Is it to good to be true.

Originally posted by The Raptor View Post

Does anyone know if the system works or is it a CON ?

No, but I am suspect if the grave dig of a post with links to something being offered for sale is?

You could not have looked too hard if this is all you could find. There is loads of info on doing this which come up with a simple Google search.

Comment

Originally posted by peter1 View Post
      There is loads of info on doing this which come up with a simple Google search.
      Thanks Peter,
      It was being sold on ebay, it just caught my eye.
      I can get very clean VWO & waste sup oil.

Obviously I will search this site.
      It is good to see an active Ozi site.

Comment

The thing that Mr Verrall had there was basically a fractionating? device. A crude sort of oil refinery (not a filter). He lives down the coast a bit from me and I haven't noticed any new Mercs parked outside recently. While you can actually make diesel out of sump oil, there is going to be a good bit of polluting smoke/fumes coming out of it without sophisticated scrubbers on the exhaust of the thing. Crude oil is obviously still too cheap or the oil companies would be buying up all the old sump oil and just putting it through their refineries. Instead it is very difficult to get rid of it responsibly without paying someone to take it.
        Johnnojack
        4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 200000km on WVO,(2020) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids FPHE, heated filter fuel line and tank pickup for thicker oil. Mk. 9 version now and no changes planned as trouble free.
        Mercedes W201 190D 1986 model: 2 tank system, bigger fuel line from tank, no heat exchanger, electric pump for diesel 22000km so far sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnojack View Post
          The thing that Mr Verrall had there was basically a fractionating? device. ~ ...there is going to be a good bit of polluting smoke/fumes coming out of it without sophisticated scrubbers on the exhaust of the thing.
          Understandably, making pollution in a densely populated environment would be asking for trouble.
          This may now be his new site: http://wasteoildiesel.com/plans.html
          It looks like a lot better design unit, but a 4 yrs old site & some images not loading/working, says lack of professionalism for such a simple site.

I have found several other people advising against mixing WVO and WSO, apparently the byproduct from both being mixed in the sump created a type of glue substance.
          That would/may gum up the cylinders, the gunk can however be dissolve by thinners, but you risk everything gumming up eventually.
          So, it is recommened by several that you either do one or the other.

Comment

Waste vegetable oil mixed with used engine oil reacted in my Mazda Capella to become a jelly like fluid which had difficulty passing thru my engine oil filter (set up to filter fuel)

Regards,
            Tony
            Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
            '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
            '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
            '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
            '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
            '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
            '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
            '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
            '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
            '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
            '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
            '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
            '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
            Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnojack View Post
              While you can actually make diesel out of sump oil, there is going to be a good bit of polluting smoke/fumes coming out of it without sophisticated scrubbers on the exhaust of the thing.
              I disagree completely.
              The setup I made emits less smoke/fumes than cooking snags on a gas BBQ. The vaporised oil is condensed through a water bath and the amount of emissions coming off the top are next to nil. I have seen some setups on the net that just cool the vapor and have smoke either emitting or return that to the burner. Either way I think is pointless because the vapor is uncondensed fuel basicly that is being wasted. The water bath condenses all this out very effectively and the distilled fuel just floats and overflows off the top. I do have a condensing/ cooling section but it's pretty irrelevant I have discovered and easier to leave it there than re plumb everything.

You can set up multi stage condensing coloumns to take off say petrol and Diesel/ kero fractions but I just use a superheating setup and condense it all back to one output. It's pretty much diesel on steroids or an diesel- petrol mix. Perfect for blending with WVO.

Comment

You can set up multi stage condensing coloumns to take off say petrol and Diesel/ kero fractions but I just use a superheating setup and condense it all back to one output. It's pretty much diesel on steroids or an diesel- petrol mix. Perfect for blending with WVO.
                Hi Peter,

I would love to see your system, do you have a thread ?

I read/heard elsewhere that you should not mix filtered WVO & processed WSO, as you will end up with a goo type sludge in your tank.
                I have a supply of WVO and WEO (Auto tran fluid), have just to purchase the Raco housing and possibly a 2 micron filter ...if that is the correct filter.

Regard,
                Den

Comment

Originally posted by The Raptor View Post
                  Hi Peter,

I would love to see your system, do you have a thread ?
                  I did do a write up on it here somewhere a while back on another thread. I'll see if I can find it again.
                  A couple of weeks ago I started cutting up some fire extinguisher bottles and got some 4" pipe to build a new system that is more of a continous rather than a batch setup like I hav3e now where I heat 50L of oil at a time and Boil that off.
                  The idea is to do it more like a WVO setup and heat the oil on the fly so to speak so I'm only doing about 5L or so at a time. Never had any trouble but having 50L of Boiling oil sitting in a vessel has never been something I have been really comfortable with even though by many peoples standards I'm a " Thrillseeker" due to my disregard for pedantic saftey and OH&S drivel. I'm considering the best way to put a cap or method of clean out on the thing. In reality due to the power of the Waste oil burners I have made, I'm thinking the best way to " regenerate" the system will be just give it a run with no oil going through it and burn out the deposits. Once they get to pure carbon it will be just a matter of giving the thing a wack on the ground and it will all fall out.

I have been looking at doing a fractionating coloum but that requires some science and care in the processing where as the single output is just as sticks and stones simple and I am and it'a a matter of light a fire under the thing and run the oil through and your good.

I read/heard elsewhere that you should not mix filtered WVO & processed WSO, as you will end up with a goo type sludge in your tank.
                  Yes, I have read the same thing many times myself. My only "testing " with this has been when I throw WVO and WMO together in the drums I use for my waste oil burners. Usualy that's to get rid of the sump oil from the fleet of cars now in the driveway which goes in with the WVO I use any other time. I can't say I have seen this goo form in the burner tanks even though some of the WVO I put in there is pretty sub standard reject stuff I won't burn in the vehicle. My thoughts are at this time the problem may be a long term one. If you mix the 2 and have them sitting in your tank for 3 months there may be a problem. That said, I have done that in the burner tank and not seen any issue but there are always variables. If you put them in the vehicle that gets agitated once or twice a day and it's all used up in a week or so, My thoughts are at this time you would probably be OK. I am even more confident that if you have say 5-10% unleaded mixed in, the chances of having problems are significantly reduced because both oils are readily minciable with ULP.

It would be very easy to get a clear drink bottle and mix the 2 in the desired ration and let it sit and see what happened before putting it in the vehicle. At this stage, I wouldn't have a lot of hesitation of Filling the tank before a country drive and taking off knowing I was going to burn it all off in one go and refil with WVo or dino as I'm not a WMO burner as yet.

I have a supply of WVO and WEO (Auto tran fluid), have just to purchase the Raco housing and possibly a 2 micron filter ...if that is the correct filter.

Regard,
                  Den
                  I think the racor thing is another over rated parroted mantra from the US. They are dear as buggery here and not easy to get and at the end of the day, are just filters.
                  I have been using OEM Subaru filters for the last 18 Months and am highly impressed with the things. They are an all metal sealed design which means I can ( and do) sit them directly on the manifold next to the turbo to get a bit of warmth to melt out any fats in winter. They seem to hold a LOT of dirt and therefore last a long time. They are much better then the OEM Nissan filter, and leave the CAV units for dead as well as the inline disposeable which won't keep up with the fueling rate of my truck at full tilt. The suby filters seem to handle it with ease.

I got rid of the CAV type pain in the arse on the tractor and put one of these Suby filters on and it's been fine as expected. also pu them on the rideons, wood chipper, yard ute and the wood splitter. Doubt I'll ever have to change them for the life of the small machines.

I get them off cars at the wrecking yard so the things are already dirty when I start but I get many months out of the things on my vehicle before they start to slow down.

Personally I don't see the point of buying expensive and hard to get filters when there are cheaper alternatives for a throw away that do the job perfectly adequately. As the suby filters are off injected vehicles and I have never even heard of a car with blocked injectors let alone seen one, I can only take it from that and 18 months experience with the things that whatever rating they are is perfectly adequate. I filter all my oil to either 5 or more usualy 1 UM so all the onboard should be doing is catching anything that got in when filling the tank as I know the system on the vehicle is perfectly clean. For filtering out of the WVO processor, I use household water filters which are the cheapest of all at 4 odd bux and last over 2000L on settled oil.

For filtering cracked engine oil, the things should almost last indefinately because you would be filtering something that once was a gas so should be perfectly clean to start. I don't filter my condensate at all, never seen a reason to.

Comment

Good day Peter 1 and all :-) , just hoping to revive this old thread and find out the latest :-)

I have been running a few engines for a few years on settled and filtered waste motor oil , thinned with petrol[gasoline ] 15% or diesel 25%[if i get vapour lock using petrol] Some of my engines engines love it [no smoke , no coking start immediately ], some smoke a bit at low revs/load , some coke the injectors a bit if only used for short [cold] runs , some are a bit hard to start unless shut down on diesel , and indirect injection ones coke the narrow swirl chamber outlet pipe thing .

But i want to try the distillation thing, thinking it would solve smoking , the coking on short cold runs /hard starting on the di engines and the swirl-chamber coking on the idi engines . Plus I should not need to thin with gasoline or diesel with the distilled fuel .

Does that sound right ? Hope to hear from everyone running on their own distilled fuel :-) or see any links to relevant utube vids , threads , articles etc :-)

l
                    I disagree completely.
                    The setup I made emits less smoke/fumes than cooking snags on a gas BBQ. The vaporised oil is condensed through a water bath and the amount of emissions coming off the top are next to nil. I have seen some setups on the net that just cool the vapor and have smoke either emitting or return that to the burner. Either way I think is pointless because the vapor is uncondensed fuel basicly that is being wasted. The water bath condenses all this out very effectively and the distilled fuel just floats and overflows off the top. I do have a condensing/ cooling section but it's pretty irrelevant I have discovered and easier to leave it there than re plumb everything.

Comment

Working...
                    X