Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head gasket in a can

Hi Team,

As the Shitbox Rally nears, I'm thinking of taking along a little insurance policy of sorts in the form of liquid cooling system sealant.

Many years ago a friend of mine had a Toyota Corona and the water pump stared leaking profusely. Being students, we grabbed a bottle of Goss Chemi-Weld and poured it in and watched the leak seal before our eyes. I asked him about it the other day and he said that the fix lasted for 'years' after.

I also had a Suzuki Vitara briefly and the same stuff 'fixed' the same issue for a couple of months. In my case it was corrosion of the aluminium housing that caused the failure. Other issues killed that vehicle before the water pump did.

Has anyone had other experiences with these types of products? I note there are now several different brands and formulations on the market:
    • Bar's Leaks
    • Risone Liquid Aluminum
    • K-Seal
    • Others?
    3DB
    1995 Holden (Isuzu) Rodeo 2.8TD 4X4 - B100 since April 2013
    1976 Mercedes 300D Turbo 'The Coal Grenade' - B100 since May 2016 - SOLD
    1994 Peugeot 405 SRDT 1.9L intercooled turbo diesel (Shitbox Rally car.) - B100 since August 2019 - SOLD
    @thirddegreeburns on Instagram
    @thirddegreeburns2019 on Facebook

Re: Head gasket in a can

Mate I have used the putty steel kind of 2 part mix a few times. It’s not an additive but something that you apply on the outside. It has got me out of trouble sealing fuel tanks, radiators etc. bloody good stuff. Definitely take some with you. It lasts for years on the shelf and in use.

Comment

Originally posted by Captaincademan View Post
      putty steel kind of 2 part mix.
      Good tip, thanks Cade - I will get some of that
      3DB
      1994 Peugeot 405 SRDT 1.9L intercooled turbo diesel (Shitbox Rally car.) - B100 since August 2019 - SOLD

Comment

This is the stuff.

http://www.selleys.com.au/fillers-pu...nead-it-steel/

I was on the plenty highway years ago on my way to a new job a roxborough downs on the border of Qld / NT in my trusty Ford Tesltar TX5 loaded up to the roof lining, and needless to say I ended up with several holes in the fuel tank from road shale. I only just ( and I mean just) managed to get into the homestead befor ethe engine concked out from lack of fuel.

I managed to get some of this from a servo in Boulia a few weeks later and put it on the fuel tank. 4 holes, 1 quite large.

I sold the car 150,000 km later with the patches still on and no leaks.

I used it for a temporary fix on a work wagon on property too - thermostat housing that had let go (mainly because the fool of bush mechanic managed to hit the housing with a hammer and had cracked the housing). anyway I quickly relieved him of his duty and patched it up. it lasted fine for a few weeks till till I got a new part.

I dont travel any distance without it in my tool kit. I cut a small wad off about 2 months ago I guess to check if it was still ok - yep sure was. I have had that tube now for close to 6 years. Probably treat myself and get a new one soon.

Comment

I know the stuff and have used it myself on various things, but never a fuel tank! I imagine the surface preparation on a biodiesel tank would need to be a lot more rigorous than on a petrol car. Any hint of bio and I reckon it would struggle to stick? Was the tank in your Telstar steel or plastic? The Peugeot appears to be plastic, unless that is just an outer skin to protect the steel. I have made a bash plate for the sump and transmission out of a sheet of flat Colorbond steel I found in the council cleanup. Used a pool noodle glued to the lowest points with contact cement and pulled the fairly flexible bash plate tight over that. It will take most of the energy out of any flying rocks. I will post photos on Facebook soon.
          3DB

Comment

Hay mate, yep it was steel. I just gave it a wire brush at the time from memory. Maybe try it out? wet some black steel with bio and see if you can easily / wipe clean it and get it to work. might find that a small bottle of acetone should also be in the kit if you need to clean the surface? it wont help if fuel is running out and down your elbow at the time, and my tank was empty and dry when i did it, so I am not too sure....

Comment

Working...
            X