And then there was smoke on me a bit.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And then there was smoke on me a bit.

Just as I was heading to work this morning, overtaking the frustrating pensioners doing 60 on a main road it sort of backfired on me a bit.
    All of a shudden there was a rattleing noise and a massive amount of white to greyish smoke.
    My first thought was, engine run away, so thanks to Cade and other members for sharing your runaway stories here.
    I managed to pull over and stall it, the engine started to rev just over 3500rpm so not too bad, thanks to the slow pensioners and when I checked the oil level it seemed to be normal between the full and empty mark.
    My guess after a bit of research would be blown turbo seal and oil feeding into air inlet.

Its a 1hdt engine and my question to you gentlemen is what damage could I expect given it still has normal oil levels in it and hasn't reved like stupid. I wasn't gaim enough to try to start it up again and had it towed back to the shed.

thanks for your help as always

Jens
    Bueff
    Biofuel Enthusiast
    Last edited by Bueff; 8 June 2019, 03:41 PM.
    1990 Toyota Hilux LN106 with ATG 2 tank system (sold after running 150.000 ks on mainly WVO)

1993 Toyota 75 Series with 1 HDT conversion, 75l factory tank and a custom 170l under tray tank. (Retired with 680.000ks on the clock mostly running on BIO and on WVO)

2006 Landcruiser Troopcarrier 1HZ with DTS Turbo Kit, 170ltr long range tank currently not converted, running on B100

"him who never made a mistake, made no discovery either"

Re: And then there was smoke as she ran away

I doubt there is any damage at all mate. Pop the intake manifold off and clean it. Shine a light into the ports and inspect the valve stems and ports for crud. Of course new seals if you think that’s the culprit. Put it back together and go again mate. Good save.

Comment

Originally posted by Captaincademan View Post
      I doubt there is any damage at all mate. Pop the intake manifold off and clean it. Shine a light into the ports and inspect the valve stems and ports for crud. Of course new seals if you think that’s the culprit. Put it back together and go again mate. Good save.
      It is good that you recognised the symptoms of self fueling from the sump oil (via the turbo seal) you most likely have dodged the bullet and survived without any engine damage.
      Be sure to check the high pressure side of the turbo compressor system for engine oil. Flush out the intercooler and while you have it apart, clean all the airways from turbo to valves.
      Knowledge is power - in this case, power to avoid massive engine damage.
      Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
      '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
      '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
      '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
      '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
      '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
      '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
      '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
      '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
      '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
      '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
      '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
      '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
      Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Dead right about the intercooler. I took the pipe off the manifold and put a bucket over the with lots of rags and the ran the engine through a heap revs to clean it out. It dried out in no time. Was easier than pulling it off.

Comment

Thanks gents,

I will have a look at these things, it doesn't have an intercooler so a bit less to worry about.

Again many thanks and I will report back once everything is back in working order.

Enjoy your weekend!
          1990 Toyota Hilux LN106 with ATG 2 tank system (sold after running 150.000 ks on mainly WVO)

1993 Toyota 75 Series with 1 HDT conversion, 75l factory tank and a custom 170l under tray tank. (Retired with 680.000ks on the clock mostly running on BIO and on WVO)

2006 Landcruiser Troopcarrier 1HZ with DTS Turbo Kit, 170ltr long range tank currently not converted, running on B100

Comment

Good morning Gentlemen,

The ute is back on the road and as suggested by you, the runaway was caused by a faulty turbo.

we have replaced it with one of these guys

https://www.turbochargersplus.com/pr...-17010-billet/

And it's running quite well. We also checked the compression and it's around the 400 mark evenly on all cylinders. Mechanic says that's okay for an engine of its age. Any feedback from you guys?

Thank again for your input, have a great day!

Jens

Comment

Glad to hear it mate, and glad it was a cheap episode to recover from.

I'm sure the aftermarket turbo will be fine (for a while anyway!! )

I would consider a catchcan if you have the inclination. I made one up that will hold over a litre, and it has the 'water in fuel' float in the bottom of it which will connect to the car wiring system. it will activate with only a small qty of oil in it, so I have a chance of shutting down prior to run away. My concern is leaking IP seals not turbo seals.

The reason I suggest a catchcan is to keep your air flow dry of oil from the PCV. that way if you do regular inspections (10 sec job - pop a turbo hose off) you will know if the new turbo seals are leaking / weeping, as that is the only other source of oil. If you dont want to make one, there are lots available.

Comment

A lot of people use catch cans but unless you have an EGR which you can't or won't disable then I see no point in them. With everything in good order a bit of oil going into the intake from the crankcase ventilation does no harm whatsoever. At 370000 my Isuzu engine always has a film of oil through the intake and intercooler but everything stays quite clean. The engine was fortunately made without an EGR. If it had one that would want different story
                Johnnojack
                4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 200000km on WVO,(2020) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids FPHE, heated filter fuel line and tank pickup for thicker oil. Mk. 9 version now and no changes planned as trouble free.
                Mercedes W201 190D 1986 model: 2 tank system, bigger fuel line from tank, no heat exchanger, electric pump for diesel 22000km so far sigpic

Comment

Hey Johnno,

a little bit of oil without soot is no problem, agreed. However I was only suggesting it so Jens could identify the oil source, if any is discovered. And the only reason I suspect there may be some leakage from the turbo is that it is an aftermarket turbo. It may last just as long as a factory one, (after all the factory one failed too), but it also may not.

it will certainly give you no protection for a runaway caused by failing turbo seals.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnojack View Post
                    With everything in good order a bit of oil going into the intake from the crankcase ventilation does no harm whatsoever.
                    But if everything is not OK and you have no piston rings to speak of (as in my Merc) and you blow torrents of smoke and oil through your crankcase vent, you might want consider one of these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrvciHy2wD8

I was given one that was surplus to requirements and it has been excellent. No smoke or oil comes out the other side, just clean 'air' and you never have to empty it as the oil drains back into the sump. Don't forget the non-return valve option on the drain though. There are also plenty of cheaper knock-offs on eBay.
                    3DB
                    1995 Holden (Isuzu) Rodeo 2.8TD 4X4 - B100 since April 2013
                    1976 Mercedes 300D Turbo 'The Coal Grenade' - B100 since May 2016 - SOLD
                    1994 Peugeot 405 SRDT 1.9L intercooled turbo diesel (Shitbox Rally car.) - B100 since August 2019 - SOLD
                    @thirddegreeburns on Instagram
                    @thirddegreeburns2019 on Facebook

Comment

Working...
                    X