The biodiesel bible and drying reccomendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The biodiesel bible and drying reccomendations

Hello I am a Biodiesel researcher, looking at taking over a small scale biodiesel production plant. I am looking for the biodiesel bible by Keith Adddison, can anyone help? I tried to purchase on the journey to forever site, however its been inactive since 2013. Any recommendations on helpful biodiesel books for beginners.

I am looking into the dry washing of biodiesel with puroleit, if I am only producing 350 litres per batch with a wet wash will I have a cheaper and more effective process if I moved to a dry wash?

Thank you in advance for any advise,
    Kind regards.

Re: The biodiesel bible and drying reccomendations

G'day Caylee,
    Welcome to the forum.
    I am afraid that Keith was not the biodiesel expert he thought he was. Lots of inaccurate information on his JtF website.
    Do not bother reading his "Bible". If you are new to biodiesel, you will not know what is accurate and what is totally BS.
    I suggest you do a bit of searching on this forum to find out what you want. As far as I can tell, this is the last reliable biodiesel forum left.

Unfortunately, the Infopop biodiesel forum, with the huge wealth of information it contained, is gone. A massive loss to biodiesel home brewers.

What do you want to use your biodiesel in?

Hooroo, Tilly

tillyfromparadise
    Last edited by tillyfromparadise; 5 August 2021, 09:30 PM.

Comment

All right ; Just read that you want to dry wash rather than wet wash . I dry washed with magnesium silicate with good results . Magnesium silicate was also named Magnesol . On biodiesel forum Ireland years ago wood chips were being used in dry wash . I believe the proceedure was make crude biodiesel , demeth , then dry wash through wood chips . Cellulose in the wood chips helped remove impurities in the biodiesel . I don't know what puroleit is . I participated in doing organic chemistry research at a university here in Texas . I'm glad to assist in it , helps me keep current in biofuels . In dry washing ... if you don't put water into it , you don't have to get it out .

Comment

Hello, I thought Magnesol was only a polishing agent and thus will not fully do the job of removing all the Na, glycerol, soap and water. I wanted to incorporate a dry wash process using Puroleit which is similar to amberlite (ion exchange resin), however the start up cost for now are too much. Currently I am using an acidic aggressive wash to save time and the acid is to prevent an emulsion. Is there anyway I can improve this wash method? A 5 % prewash method was recommended to me but I do not know enough about it, kind regards.

Comment

Hello could I get your email, I have a couple of questions to ask.

Comment

Hello Wesley: if you are interested in technology for small production, we still manufacture the SAVOIA industrial grade modules, to make from 50 to 1500 gal/day. Please study them at> www.savoiapower.com/biodiesel.html-- Regards

Comment

It is most likely that I will not do large scale production . I've made maybe 20-30 batches of biodiesel . The largest batch was maybe 3/4 liter . I studied organic research in a university . I wanted to keep up on my chemistry education related to fuels . There's potentially a lot of money in liquid fuels . I made several different types of biodiesel with alcohols other than methanol . Methanol , ethanol , 1-propanol , 2-propanol . I made about 200 milliliters of biodiesel from acorns also .

Comment

Originally posted by WesleyB View Post
                It is most likely that I will not do large scale production . I've made maybe 20-30 batches of biodiesel . The largest batch was maybe 3/4 liter . I studied organic research in a university . I wanted to keep up on my chemistry education related to fuels . There's potentially a lot of money in liquid fuels . I made several different types of biodiesel with alcohols other than methanol . Methanol , ethanol , 1-propanol , 2-propanol . I made about 200 milliliters of biodiesel from acorns also .
                Hi Wesley,
                I am sad that I missed so much info on biodiesel with the disappearance of other forums. I am trying to find a good guide to making biodiesel , I wanted to try a small scale first like 1 liter or so. I do have a small exposure to organic chemistry ,1 year of it.
                What can you point me to?
                Thanks

Comment

G'day ptroyano,
                  Welcome to the forum.
                  You are at the correct location.
                  For your first 1 litre batch of biodiesel, may I recommend using the World Famous Dr Pepper Technique (Pat Pend) https://www.biofuelsforum.com/thread...que-(Pat-Pend)
                  tillyfromparadise
                  Last edited by tillyfromparadise; 29 September 2021, 03:36 PM.

Comment

ptroyano ; The world famous Dr. Pepper technique is a good start . I used mostly virgin vegetable oils and rendered grease to make various types of biodiesel . When vegetable oil is used it breaks down producing free fatty acids that complicate well done biodiesel production . Room temperature synthesis of it works , it's slower . Make sure your oil is dry or you can get saponification (soap making) rather than transesterification (biodiesel/fatty acid ester production) . Usually primary alcohols are used , methanol , ethanol , propanol et cetera . Isoprpyl , 2-propanol doesn't seem to work for normal transesterification (biodiesel making) . The alcohols need to have no or almost no water in them . Dry methanol is most commonly used and is cheapest . Using new vegetable oil is surest to achieve a good result initially .

Comment

Working...
                    X