More Ssangyongs in the stable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Ssangyongs in the stable

Following the demise of my Ssangyong Musso early this year, I have been trying a Ford Courier 4X4 on veggie but it wasn't happy, so I have gone back to Ssangyong for transport.
    I bought a Musso 4X4 tray back. It is a bit too rough for my wife to travel in, but for $2K what can you expect?
    I was looking thru Gumtree last week and came across a Rexton with the IDI diesel in it.
    Bonus is that it has Auto transmission and 4X4.
    My wife likes it and that makes a big difference to my happiness [ ]
    I will still keep the Musso as a hack for bush work and on the property collecting firewood etc.

At $1.50 per litre for diesel and ~10L/100km, I figure that in 30,000km the Rexton will have paid for itself.

A few, very minor, issues to deal with. (Console vents for back seats, console storage bin lid hinges buggered, etc.)
    I will give it a full service, replacing all fluids and checking all wear components, so it is ready for a long life on veggie oil.
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Re: More Ssangyongs in the stable

Good to hear you've gone out and got yourself a project Tony, or two. Have been wondering how the Courier/Mazda engine with VE pump was going on straight oil. What fuel systems do the Musso and Rexton have?
    Johnnojack
    4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 200000km on WVO,(2020) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids FPHE, heated filter fuel line and tank pickup for thicker oil. Mk. 9 version now and no changes planned as trouble free.
    Mercedes W201 190D 1986 model: 2 tank system, bigger fuel line from tank, no heat exchanger, electric pump for diesel 22000km so far sigpic

Comment

JJ, These have a Mercedes designed 5 cylinder turbo intercooled IDI engine with inline Injector pump.
      Just the bees knees for veggie oil.
      Much less power than the courier, but no fuel issues. The weak spot on these engines is the head. I had cranked up the fuel on my first Musso and that may have contributed to it's head gasket failure. I will leave the fuel at factory settings for this one.
      Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Previous Vehicles:
      '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
      '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnojack View Post
        What fuel systems do the Musso and Rexton have?
        Same as the 190D
        1987 Mercedes W124 300D
        1997 Ssangyong Musso Wagon

Comment

Yeah but if only the 190D had a turbo like the Musso. Could possibly fit a Musso one to it, but would have to delete the steering to fit it in.
          Johnnojack
          4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 200000km on WVO,(2020) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids FPHE, heated filter fuel line and tank pickup for thicker oil. Mk. 9 version now and no changes planned as trouble free.
          Mercedes W201 190D 1986 model: 2 tank system, bigger fuel line from tank, no heat exchanger, electric pump for diesel 22000km so far sigpic

Comment

JJ
            You could get an IP from a pre 2000 Musso as they had the NA version of this engine.

Tony

Previous Vehicles:

Comment

Tony I was talking about fitting a turbo from a Musso not the IP. I think the yanks got turbo versions but then their steering was on the other side obviously.
              Johnnojack

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnojack View Post
                Tony I was talking about fitting a turbo from a Musso not the IP. I think the yanks got turbo versions but then their steering was on the other side obviously.
                We were talking about fuel systems, which is why I was talking about the IP.

Previous Vehicles:

Comment

Working...
                X