Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Joined the Musso club

Costra

I believe the turbo version of the Daewoo is rare because it was an option that the dealer fitted when the car is purchased.

The newer Musso with the 2.9l IDI came with the turbo as standard. I am very happy with mine and looks to be very good on fuel even though I do a lot of city driving and it stays up with the traffic. At least it does with me driving it.

I am looking into Firestone air bags for the back and a change to the front ride height and maybe an exhaust upgrade if I can afford it.
    needs a better radio for the kids to listen to music in the back.
    Window tint in Qld is a must so that happens next week.
    I have been very busy trying to do oil pickups now that I have the ute so have not posted any pictures but have promised so maybe this weekend.

They come standard with a tub liner and tye points in the tray on the four corners so this works well for me with oil drums. I simply stap them in and take off. If I spill any oil I wash the tub liner out and away I go again.

It is a good vehicle but a little agricultural though.

Michael
    97 Jeep XJ Cherokee on B100. 0 km's on B100 and counting !!!! (Sold)
    2002 Merc ML270 now on B100. (Sold)
    2006 Ssangyong Musso 2.9 t idi (Sold)
    2015 NP300 Navara ( Sold )
    2018 NP300 Navara ( B5 )

Stainless processor with blue water pump.
    Tetragonula Hockingsi

Take the Leap and grow wings on the way down

Comment

Hi Michael,

The turbo diesel on the Daewoo Musso SUV is a factory installation and it looks just like the one on our utes including the intake crossover.
      It also came with the EGR. I am not sure whether they had a catalytic converter or not. The Musso ute does.
      The one I looked at a couple of months ago had some extra plastic trim on the engine that is not on the ute.

The reason they are so rare is that most of the Daewoo Mussos came with the petrol engine.

Biodiesel and WVO has NEVER been inside the passenger compartment in my Musso.

Comment

Hi Costra,
        If you are looking for an SUV that has the Merceded idi engine, be aware that some of the early 2004 Ssangyong Rextons came with the same 2.9 idi turbo diesel that is in the Daewoo Musso SUV and in the Ssangyong Musso ute.
        However, very few of these were imported into Australia because they knew the 2.7 di turbo diesel was just about ready to go and Ssangyong Australia made it a policy not to push Rextons sales until the 2.7 was ready.
        I have seen a few of these and even driven one. They are more civilized than the Daewoo Musso turbo but just as limited on power.

And if you want a really really rare bird, try and find one of the Ssangyong Korando's from 2004- 2006. I was thinking about buying one at one stage after I bought my Musso Ute. They have the same 2.9 idi turbo diesel but were not promoted at all by Ssangyong Australia.
        One time I was travelling between Sydney and Paradise, and I think it was in Muswellbrook I stopped at the Ssangyong dealer to see if they had a Korando in stock. The Salesman did not even know what a Korando was or that Ssangyong sold them.
        I thought they were pretty little car, especially the RED Targa. They are based based on the Jeep idea.

Ssangyong Korando

tillyfromparadise
        Last edited by tillyfromparadise; 8 November 2013, 04:32 PM.

Comment

Tilly , I have seen a Korando on the road but was some time ago. Tough looking thing that needed some suspension changes.

Anyway I have gone and purchased an antenna and will fit sometime soon but I'll probably upgrade the radio and two speakers at the same time. Four speakers and real radio will make some difference.

I have started to play with Bio / Diesel / WVO mixes in tank and am enjoying the BBQ smells.

currently I have run 4000 km's since purchase from 105,000 km on B50 approx and running really nice.

For Tony if he wants the Data yet or maybe a bit early.
          Ssangyong Musso 2006 2.9 litre 5 cylinder Intercooled Turbo IDI Mercedes Engine.Bosch inline IP. now with 111,110 km's running B50 in single tank.

No issues yet. changing fuel cheap filters every month as a precautional maintanence.

Micahel
          2018 NP300 Navara ( B5 )

Tetragonula Hockingsi

Comment

Michael,
            Get yourself a couple of the clear bodied filters that are used on the Mercedes OM617 diesel.
            They are 5/16" in and out (and have a 90° offset on the pipes - not an issue usually) These, being transparent, allow you to see any contaminants in the filter and change it out at a convenient time. Use the "butterfly" hose clamps for tool-free pre filter changes. Carry a spare with you in a 'zip-lok' bag. If you need to swap out the filter, you can put the blocked one into it.
            I wash the filters out using a solvent (ULP in most cases) then dry them out, before placing it back into the (washed) 'zip-lok' bag.
            If making biodiesel, the byproduct also does a good job of cleaning these filters, although it is a bit slower than solvent.

If you get stuck on the side of the road with a blocked pre-filter, remove it, and blow backwards, to try and dislodge as much from the filter as possible. Then re-install it and drive on. This method has got me out of the poo a couple of times (before I started carrying a spare on board).

Happy New Year,

Tony
            Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
            '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
            '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
            '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
            '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
            '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
            '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
            '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
            '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
            '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
            '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
            '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
            '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
            Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Thanks Tony I will take that advice on board.
              One 44 gal of home brew used and several litres of filtered wvo in as well. Love the smell now.

Had the make up a new EGR seal today . The old one was leaking gasses out one side so out came the angle grinder and an old tomato tin. But I missed a bit with the hole in the middle. Oh well next time I have it out ill cut a hole.

Now on to planning a second tank.
              Michael
              2018 NP300 Navara ( B5 )

Tetragonula Hockingsi

Comment

I use these inline filters.
                $3 from Super Cheap

Comment

Tilly,
                  This is the filter I recommend as a pre-filter.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	prefilter1.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	94639

The inlet side is the 90° port. It will stop the rocks and let the main filter look after the smaller particles in the fuel system. I have had these collect a lot of flakes of stuff from the tank on my 300D
                  It can be washed out over and over again, it can even be blown out on the side of the road (I don't mind the taste of WVO - with a little petrol added for flavour) to get you going if you have forgotten to pack a spare.

I pay only $5 for them and they do the job I need.
                  Unfortunately, the C250D uses 10mm fuel hose so this does not suit the vehicle. Good news though, the stock pre-filter for this vehicle is cleanable and accessible by removing one hose and one bolt.

Good night,
                  Tony
                  Tony From West Oz
                  Vice Chairperson of WARFA
                  Last edited by Tony From West Oz; 24 September 2017, 02:57 AM. Reason: Updated image link
                  Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
                  '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
                  '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
                  '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
                  '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
                  '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
                  '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
                  '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
                  '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
                  '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
                  '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
                  '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
                  '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
                  Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Tilly
                    I have two of your type filters spare in a bag behind the back seat in the tool box and I will be fitting one this weekend as I think the current filter looks like it might not be able to handle the pull of the massive merc fuel pump. I watched last weekend as the fuel pump milked the filter, funny to watch but I also thought over time it might fracture.

Tony thanks I will try one of those as well. Looks impressive ....
                    Good long drive today after blanking the egr and I must say the car goes much better. I'm not sure if the joint was leaking before but simply blanking the valve makes it run so much better.
                    Less lag but I cant hear the turbo wind up now. Not sure what that means but it goes better so I dont really care yet until I make the exhaust change from the muffler back.
                    More progress notes to come.

Michael
                    2018 NP300 Navara ( B5 )

Tetragonula Hockingsi

Comment

I suggested blocking the EGR on another forum. Boy did I get flamed out over it, worst kind of environmental vandal ever. No matter that a clagged up EGR/manifold can cause smoke like a Canadian sled puller.
                      http://www.8-lug.com/events/1104_8l_...dge_sled_pull/
                      Johnnojack
                      4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 200000km on WVO,(2020) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids FPHE, heated filter fuel line and tank pickup for thicker oil. Mk. 9 version now and no changes planned as trouble free.
                      Mercedes W201 190D 1986 model: 2 tank system, bigger fuel line from tank, no heat exchanger, electric pump for diesel 22000km so far sigpic

Comment

Johno
                        Unfotunately not everybody agrees with what we do.
                        I certainly won't give you a hard time. Go for it. I have but I think it fixed a problem and infact it made the bio smell less. I love the smell of Bio in the morning but this thing loves it and you certainly notice the engine tone when running Bio and WVO.

MUCH NICER
                        I have fitted a new aerial as per Tilly's advice and yes the radio is better now buttook longer than I thought it would. Tomorrow I fit a new clear filter.
                        Wheni work out to copy photos off my samsung tablet I'll share.
                        Have a great weekend.

Michael
                        2018 NP300 Navara ( B5 )

Tetragonula Hockingsi

Comment

it's been some time but I'm coming up to 20k on Bio along with other mixes.
                          I won't say mix cause I believe that's not allowed.
                          B70 / WVO20 / D10

got to say it really loves this new fuel and goes really nicely. after a good long run the engine really sounds like it's purring.
                          maybe it has something to do with the fuel in the tank being warmed up ?? any thought ?

Got my WVO design heat exchanger and fuel solanoids just recently so that is the next install project. wish I could afford an exhaust upgrade and suspension upgrade.

Michael
                          2018 NP300 Navara ( B5 )

Tetragonula Hockingsi

Comment

Hi Michael,
                            The D10 is not necessary in the mix.
                            B70 WVO30 is fine,

The 5 cylinder Mercedes diesel is a very nice sounding engine.

Comment

I've put in some of the inline alcheepo filters. all good. I change every month as a precaution and have noticed no problems so far.
                              While I have had the processor apart I have been running a Dino / WVO mix and still no problems.

Lately though I have had to replace a Glowplug and two front shocks. the number 4 glow plug is fairly easy and the front shocks where easy as well.

I'm getting better at this mechanic thing. The car is relatively easy to work on now that I have some tools.
                              Fitted a radio but it died so will have to sort that next before the trip to Forster this weekend.

Michael
                              2018 NP300 Navara ( B5 )

Tetragonula Hockingsi

Comment

Originally posted by SUZUDDIS View Post
                                I've put in some of the inline alcheepo filters. all good. I change every month as a precaution and have noticed no problems so far.
                                I gave up on those things as a bad joke. I think they are OK for low power engines but for things with some decent grunt, they don't seem to have the flow. The internal diameter of the spigots is very small to start with. As soon as they picked up any dirt ( no idea where from as I filter my oil to 1UM) they would cause the engine to lose power and be a right pain in the backside. They were OK on my NA vehicles which wouldn't go up a hill at the highway limit or without down shifting but on the Turbo 4.2 that will do the limit loaded up any hill between syd and bris without touching it, they were just a painful joke.

I also tried the CAV type Filters which are equally annoying and twice as messy... That's when they don't leak air through the gaskets. I had 4 in the finish and every time I'd change the whole unit out. I'd change the element and then go round the things with PVC cement to seal them up. That stopped the air leaks but was more work than should be needed and the elements didn't last well anyway. Of course carryings spares took a lot of space.

I went to the OEM type Subaru Filters which are in a metal can and haven't looked back. These things last and last and I sit them on the exhaust manifold next to the turbo so they get a bit of warmth to melt out any fats that may drop out in winter, not that I ever see any in my drums. They are metal so you can tighten the clamps without crushing plastic spigots and there is plenty of length for double clamps if you want. On the cars they are held with a neat little clamp arrangement that is very relocatable to another vehicle. They use 2x10MM bolts to hold them in place. They are more exy to buy than the disposeable filters of course but in my exoperience, last more than 10 times as long so are probably cheaper in the long run.

I came down from Brissy to Taree a couple of weeks ago. The run up was OK but the run back with all the endless roadworks was a nightmare. I'm sure I did more miles at 50 and 80 than I did 100. I have made some changes to the fueling and replaced the engine driven fan with electrics and was comparing sonsumption to the run I did last year. I got 1L/100 better but I put that down as rather meaningless. I reckon that could be attributed to the miles I did dwardling along as much as anything. The section through Ballina is real good fun atm. about a 20KM stretch of crawling along. Then you get to the new Kempsy Bypass which seems to have you in a right hand bend for about 5 Minutes non stop. Then you straighten out a bit then start turning right again for another few minutes. Road is smooth as glass but the right hand bend seems like it's never going to finish!

I'm not going up north this weekend to the holiday house or you could drop in and I'd give you a couple of filters to try. Could also give you a stereo/cd player. I have a heap of them atm I'd be happy give to a new home.
                                If you do start having any stumbling or power issues on your trip, definately swap out the disposeable filter first even if you only just did them.
                                I have had the things block in hours on a country run on oil I know damn well was clean. I chased my tail looking for problems that weren't there thinking it couldn't be the filter. Wasted a lot of time figuring out my mistake.
                                Don't underestimate how quick these things can limit power especially if you are loaded and trying to climb hills at highway speed.

Comment

Working...
                                X