Fuel filter performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel filter performance

10,000 km ago I removed my OEM split-system filter & sediment trap assemblies from my Rodeo and replaced them with a single CAV unit because biodiesel had perished the rubber primer diaphragm.

Click image for larger version

Name:	MANN P917X Filter.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	94864Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6629.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	94865

Previously, I was concerned about a build-up of sticky, tar-like substance in the bottom of the sediment trap. I don't think we ever got to the bottom of exactly what it was, but the only thing I've found that dissolves it well is methanol. I get a little bit in the bottom of my cubies too and a splash of methanol clears it up with a few shakes. Some theories include glycerol that hadn't previously dropped out, bacteria (aka diesel algae or 'bug') or may favourite, oxidised biodiesel.

I make my bio with KOH and bubble wash 4 times at 15 minutes, then 30 minutes, 1 hour and 2 hours before bubble drying.

Anyway, I thought I would cut open the 10,000 km filter and inspect.

As you can see it has done a pretty good job of catching the tarry substance and I suppose other contaminants from the tank (my 4-year-old thought it would be fun to put sticks and leaves in the filler port while I was re-fuelling over Xmas) and those not caught by my 10-micron gravity filter on my wash tank.

You can also see a bit of the tarry stuff in the bottom of the glass bowl, which easily wiped away with a rag. The beauty of glass vs plastic I suppose - no methanol required.

(I still seem unable to upload new photos - the ones above were added a long time ago and are still available - but here is a link you can access the new ones from)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qp1yix9qj...Hu7zVLDEa?dl=0

Others have also had concerns about this type of filter as the bottom of the painted metal filter housing comes in contact with bio and on some brands, the paint peels off prematurely blocking the filter (best case) or ending up in the IP (worst). Among other reasons, I chose this particular brand as it has a label on the box saying 'biofuel compatible' so I figured that has to better than nothing and it looks like it is as the paint is completely intact, apart from where it got scratched in the vice while I was cutting it open.

Anyway, I thought this might be of interest.
    3DB
    1995 Holden (Isuzu) Rodeo 2.8TD 4X4 - B100 since April 2013
    1976 Mercedes 300D Turbo 'The Coal Grenade' - B100 since May 2016 - SOLD
    1994 Peugeot 405 SRDT 1.9L intercooled turbo diesel (Shitbox Rally car.) - B100 since August 2019 - SOLD
    @thirddegreeburns on Instagram
    @thirddegreeburns2019 on Facebook

Re: Fuel filter performance

Ahh! I recognise that filter. Glad it's working for you Ethan.
    Johnnojack
    4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 200000km on WVO,(2020) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids FPHE, heated filter fuel line and tank pickup for thicker oil. Mk. 9 version now and no changes planned as trouble free.
    Mercedes W201 190D 1986 model: 2 tank system, bigger fuel line from tank, no heat exchanger, electric pump for diesel 22000km so far sigpic

Comment

Hi Ethan,

Thanks for the good info. Do you happen to know what the micron rating or flow rating is for the filter? and how much are they roughly?

I'm always on the look out for better products, so keen to hear your answers.

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnojack View Post
        Ahh! I recognise that filter. Glad it's working for you Ethan.
        Yep - it is a great bit of gear - thanks again, John.

Originally posted by Captaincademan View Post
        Do you happen to know what the micron rating or flow rating is for the filter? and how much are they roughly?
        Cade - I got these from Active Air Spares in Sumner Park, QLD https://www.activeairspares.com.au

Here's what they said:

P917X is $6.47+GST

3-5 micron @ beta 2 and 100Lph

Not recommended for use on Common rail applications

Regards,
        3DB
        Last edited by 3DB; 11 April 2019, 10:53 PM.
        3DB
        1995 Holden (Isuzu) Rodeo 2.8TD 4X4 - B100 since April 2013
        1976 Mercedes 300D Turbo 'The Coal Grenade' - B100 since May 2016 - SOLD
        1994 Peugeot 405 SRDT 1.9L intercooled turbo diesel (Shitbox Rally car.) - B100 since August 2019 - SOLD
        @thirddegreeburns on Instagram
        @thirddegreeburns2019 on Facebook

Comment

Working...
        X