Glow Plug Destroyer - see pics...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Glow Plug Destroyer - see pics...

Ive ordered some glow plug reamers from ebay, and I will try it on my pug, as it is getting hard to start again and has had new glow plugs around a year ago. Ill report back after Ive cleaned the glow plug ports out and let you know if it was worth the effort.
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/171835813...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Comment

While the GPs are out, check that they all glow red hot withing 20 -30 seconds of power being applied.
      You could have a GP which looks OK, has right cold resistance but fails to get red hot. That will just not do for GPs in any climate.
      Tony
      Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
      '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
      '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
      '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
      '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
      '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
      '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
      '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
      '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
      '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
      '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
      '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
      '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
      Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Update on my update..
        Re my experimental reduced current for GP's idea as outlined earlier in this thread.
        I'm down to 20 seconds of glow now and the engine still starts satisfactorily. The air temperature was about 12 - 13°C at the time. The engine is a 4cylinder.
        Folks, these don't need to have 11V GP's!!
        I'm still looking for higher voltage GP's to test.
        I'm only running the van about 2 or 3 times a week so experiment results are taking time.
        Next is 15 second glow cycle. The thought is I'll find the threshold (of time) where the glow cycle simply isn't enough resulting in difficult or no start.
        Note this is with only 2 working GP at half power.
        HTH

Comment

Originally posted by Tony From West Oz View Post
          While the GPs are out, check that they all glow red hot withing 20 -30 seconds of power being applied.
          You could have a GP which looks OK, has right cold resistance but fails to get red hot. That will just not do for GPs in any climate.
          Tony
          Hi tony,
          I agree that you realy need to take the plugs out to check them properly, but the main issues is they need to glow on the tip of the plug not in the middle.
          If they glow in the middle chuck em in the bin.

Comment

Tbird if you only have 2 glow plugs working the other 2 cylinders must give off a lot of white smoke when you start. Really need them all working to do any proper testing.
            Johnnojack
            4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 200000km on WVO,(2020) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids FPHE, heated filter fuel line and tank pickup for thicker oil. Mk. 9 version now and no changes planned as trouble free.
            Mercedes W201 190D 1986 model: 2 tank system, bigger fuel line from tank, no heat exchanger, electric pump for diesel 22000km so far sigpic

Comment

Johnnojack, yes I'm going to fit a full working set as soon as some become available. There would be white smoke from any cylinder that doesn't fire, not that I can see it easily. When it starts, it runs on 4 within one second. What I notice is, if the first compression is one where a GP is working, it will fire. It can crank over 2 compressions at the most where it doesn't fire.
              I think I've established a good basis. It's a good find for those having trouble, like the originator of this thread. What was it?? 1500km on a set of new Bosch's? It disheartened him and he lost interest in WVO. Standard price today at Supercheapauto is $112 NZD. That same amount of money would buy 103 liters of NZ pump diesel. That amount of diesel in my van would be nearly 1000km. Who wouldn't lose interest??
              Experiments are continuing.. and for that matter my GP's might still burnt out.

Comment

Are you using a second, isolated battery with series GPs? If so, you can connect 2 other GPs in the same manner, the fact that they share a 'common' terminal (the engine) is of no consequence with an isolated GP battery. This way you will have all cylinders ready to fire up.
                Give it a go, you have nothing to lose and more information to share. BTW, if one of the GPs fails, the other one on that side of the battery will just operate at a higher voltage (still less than the Battery voltage).
                Tony
                Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Previous Vehicles:
                '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
                '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)

Comment

Yes, there is a second isolated battery. It's a good thought Tony however, I only have 3 good GP's in total, 2 of which are fitted. What is interesting is how low the current draw appears. OK, I haven't measured it but there's only a slight spark when I connect the leads. Amazingly the engine starts easily so I gotta be impressed. When I first saw the current/spark I thought I'd need to glow for like a minute so I did the first time. I reduced the duration each time and now I'm down to 20 seconds. I'm due to drive on Friday and/or Saturday next so I'll see what can be learned. To recap here, the first start of the day needs glow but subsequent starts throughout the day need none (so far). Current 24hr temperature ranges approx between 2°C - 18°C

Comment

Todays' test results: at 15°C ambient temperature with 15seconds glow time, the engine started from stone cold. It wasn't as convincing as the previous starts with 20seconds+ so I think that's about the limit. I recorded the amps as 4A draw total. I hope this is interesting

Comment

• Re: Glow Plug Destroyer - see pics...

Originally posted by tbird650 View Post
                      Todays' test results: at 15°C ambient temperature with 15seconds glow time, the engine started from stone cold. It wasn't as convincing as the previous starts with 20seconds+ so I think that's about the limit. I recorded the amps as 4A draw total. I hope this is interesting
                      20+ seconds! I'd call that almost a failure to start, anything over 2-3 seconds needs improvement. 20 second starts will drastically reduce the life of the battery as well as the starter motor. Not worth it to save a few dollars on glow plugs.
                      Johnnojack
                      4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 200000km on WVO,(2020) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids FPHE, heated filter fuel line and tank pickup for thicker oil. Mk. 9 version now and no changes planned as trouble free.
                      Mercedes W201 190D 1986 model: 2 tank system, bigger fuel line from tank, no heat exchanger, electric pump for diesel 22000km so far sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnojack View Post
                        20+ seconds! I'd call that almost a failure to start, anything over 2-3 seconds needs improvement. 20 second starts will drastically reduce the life of the battery as well as the starter motor. Not worth it to save a few dollars on glow plugs.

JJ,
                        20 seconds at 4A is S.F.A. compared to engine cranking currents.
                        Our Mercedes C250Ds usually glow for 20 - 30 seconds from cold, before the glow light goes off. My old 300CD glows for ~10 seconds, but they are operating on full 12V, whereas TBIRD's 2 GPs on a 4 cyl engine are on half battery voltage and it still starts reliably.
                        Regards,
                        Tony

Previous Vehicles:

Comment

JJ, I think T bird is talking about glow time, not crank time. I agree 20 seconds of crank would almost kill your starter in time. 20 seconds of glow though wouldn't be an issue.

Comment

To be clear, I'm referring to the glow time. Cranking time was a couple of seconds or so, possibly 3 -4 compressions.
                            Agreed, 20 seconds of cranking time would be a fail.!!
                            What is encouraging is how little current and glow time is required! Also what surprises is how long I can leave a hot engine sit cooling off and still restart with zero glow. Today it was over 3 hours parked in temperatures of about 12°C. When I turned the key to on position, the engine temperature gauge only just moved. The engine fired perfect with no glow whatsoever.

Comment

Nothing to do with wvo you are using, high FFA and its affecting the metals? My direct injection toyota has no preheat at all, removed it years back, starts perfectly on whatever you use. Then again its not as cold as some parts here.
                              Biodiesel Bandit

Landcruiser '98 80 series B100.

Comment

Oo
                                Originally posted by tbird650 View Post
                                To be clear, I'm referring to the glow time. Cranking time was a couple of seconds or so, possibly 3 -4 compressions.
                                Agreed, 20 seconds of cranking time would be a fail.!!
                                What is encouraging is how little current and glow time is required! Also what surprises is how long I can leave a hot engine sit cooling off and still restart .....whatsoever.
                                Ok glad you cleared that up. Is your engine a direct injection? Mine is indirect and needs glow plug heat to start when cold. Yet my Toyota Dyna which has a direct injection starts instantly without glow plugs?? Think it has 14B engine
                                Johnnojack

Comment

Working...
                                X