Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mazda Capella for urgent sale in VIC (1993, Diesel, Station Wagon, 155,000km)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mazda Capella for urgent sale in VIC (1993, Diesel, Station Wagon, 155,000km)

I bought a Mazda Capella not long ago planning to convert it to run off Waste Vegetable Oil (as I believe many people in Australia have done) and have since found out that the engine needs some work (it hasn't been converted to WVO yet).

It runs ok for short trips in the city but it isn't up to scratch and needs a bit of work which I just don't have the time for.

I bought it to get to and from my property in the country but it really doesn't like those long hauls or hills in its current condition. Given I just got the property, I really need something immediately that will get me back and forth, rather than spending a few months tinkering with this one. I will be sorry to sell it as it is a very practical diesel and the body is in amazingly good shape. It even has fold out, backwards facing seats in the boot (with regulation seat belts) so it is a 7 seater!

I will be honest with you, my mechanic thinks that it will be in the ball park of $2k for the parts to get it running nicely, but I am sure there is someone out there who wants a practical diesel such as this who has the time and inclination to fix it up. I would really prefer not to have to scrap it as it is such a nice little car and would make a damn good project for someone, plus it is so rare to find a diesel car (rather than 4WD) with such low KM. I am happy to provide a list of items from the mechanic to any interested parties.

It has a roadworthy certificate which is valid until the 3rd of January 2008.

Also, please note that it is a Japanese import, but I managed to get comprehensive insurance for it from Justcar for $600 which isn't too bad.

Some of the specs:

Transmission: Automatic
    Body Type: Wagon
    Colour: Maroon
    Engine: Diesel 2.0L with supercharger
    Stereo: Tape Player
    Kilometers: 155,000
    Registration to February 08
    RWC: to 3 January 2008
    Tyres: Near New
    Features: Electric everything (windows, rear vision mirrors etc) - running off a separate battery, roof rack, 2 spare tires.

Cost: Make me an offer!

Re: Mazda Capella for urgent sale in VIC (1993, Diesel, Station Wagon, 155,000km)

Binary,
    Can you please describe the issues with the engine of this car.

The main failure of these engines is the supercharger boost limiting mechanism, which is a shaft thru the exhaust side of the 'charger.

This results in impressively poor performance. If the supercharger is removed from the engine and the boost limiting shaft freed up (possibly with new bushes) and its operation checked, then reinstalled, you will find that the performance of this engine is quite lively.

There are other issues which can also affect the engine power output, including an air hose disconnected on the IP, only injection correct fuel for non-boost operation.

Regards,
    Tony (I had one for 4 years, 3 years running on used cooking oil.)
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Re: Mazda Capella for urgent sale in VIC (1993, Diesel, Station Wagon, 155,000km)

Thanks for this information Tony.

That is interesting to learn that the supercharger can be removed. Did this cost a lot to get done or have any other repercussions? I am thinking that if it is relatively easy to do it may be worth a shot. It would certainly make engine maintenance a lot easier I should think.

In terms of the issues, I found out this morning that quite a few of them should have been picked up by the roadworthy that was provided when I bought the car, and that I will be able to get them fixed at the expense of the mechanic who did the roadworthy. These are an oil leak (sump), water leak (thermostat housing), rear oil leak, new wiper blades, stem seals and blowing black smoke on acceleration.

The additional issues that will need addressing are:
      • Bottom Radiator Hose Swolen
      • Possible dirty injectors
      • Possible injector pump problem
      • Decarbonise intake and engine

Comment

The intake manifold will ALWAYS be black because of the high amount of exhaust gas in the intake air (function of the supercharger).

On my Capella, after losing coolant and stuffing up the head, I bought an imported supercharged engine from Japan. I installed it and it went like the clappers. I checked the boost pressure and it was boosting over 14psi, sometimes peaking at 20 psi, whenever above 1000 rpm under load. As a result, the head bolts at the cam belt end of the engine stretched, causing significant oil leaks at that end of the engine. I found that the boost limiter was siezed at the full boost position.

Perhaps you should try setting yours to give about half boost? Do not set it to give full boost as that would cause the same issues as I had.

I had removedthe supercharger whilst in the car as I thought that I had a bearing problem in it (loud squealing from supercharger) but it turned out to be a belt too loose, as the supercharger spun freely when I had it off.
        Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Previous Vehicles:
        '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
        '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)

Comment

Hey I saw your capella last year! It's still kicking around, last I saw it was unregistered in Northern Victoria sitting at a Roadhouse, the bloke told me the story about how there's only one in aus, they bought 2 wagons and 2 sedans both auto and manual all supercharged, one of them caught fire and one missed the boat (your one) the other 2 went back to Japan, if I could grab the rego or the vin If it has one that would be great

As for Tony's capella, I almost thought your car was my car except your in Australia, mine had a new engine in 2002 (it's a 1989 imported to NZ in 1992) it's got 310k km on it but RUCs �� she seems to handle veg aleiggt, just 10-15% made the diesel knock substantially quieter

Not sure what else to write about it, Tony if your still around tell me about your capella as perhaps this one isn't the only one in Australia (that said I haven't seen any others like it since I saw this one in Aus)

Cheers lads

Comment

This s a bit of a "Blast from the Past".
            At the time of writing my first post on this thread, my Capella was off the road with head issues. I then sold the car to another Capella fan and it was given a replacement head and put back on the road again. I have not seen one around for over 10 years in my patch of Oz.
            A quick search found: https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/lisa...tre/1237056907

It is the only one I found on Google in Oz.

Tony

Originally posted by Michaelsdieselcapella View Post
            Hey I saw your capella last year! It's still kicking around, last I saw it was unregistered in Northern Victoria sitting at a Roadhouse, the bloke told me the story about how there's only one in aus, they bought 2 wagons and 2 sedans both auto and manual all supercharged, one of them caught fire and one missed the boat (your one) the other 2 went back to Japan, if I could grab the rego or the vin If it has one that would be great

As for Tony's capella, I almost thought your car was my car except your in Australia, mine had a new engine in 2002 (it's a 1989 imported to NZ in 1992) it's got 310k km on it but RUCs �� she seems to handle veg aleiggt, just 10-15% made the diesel knock substantially quieter

Not sure what else to write about it, Tony if your still around tell me about your capella as perhaps this one isn't the only one in Australia (that said I haven't seen any others like it since I saw this one in Aus)

Cheers lads
            Tony From West Oz
            Vice Chairperson of WARFA
            Last edited by Tony From West Oz; 28 December 2019, 11:50 PM.

Previous Vehicles:

Comment

Ah yes,
              I remember "Neutral" had one of these.
              It uses a Comprex Pressure wave supercharger which is quite unusual.
              Instead of using a mechanical pump to compress the air it uses the exhaust gas to compress the intake air.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pressu...e_supercharger

Comment

Well I have a s***load of these cars and parts. One nice 1994 (Comprex S/charger) Wagon I have been right through, still a couple of small issues but is registerable, 2 spare super chargers, another Capella wagon I have been converting to standard trans and naturally aspirated with a 64 k jap import engine to go in it and loads of parts, a bottom end, a head, fuel pumps, an auto trans. Putting my rural property on the market, retired, not driving much, moving into town and I have 2 diesel AE corollas which are registered so none of the Mazda stuff is needed nor is there space for them. And WTH do I do with 6 drums of glyc byproduct these days?

Comment

Working...
                X