• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My first wash. AARGGHH

Yeah, I selected the wrong one, too early in the day, this one is better,

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Digital-...AAAOSwI~FdEcU0

works a treat.

off topic,

I'd be up for a visit in the big smoke to catch up with you lot.
    1990 Toyota Hilux LN106 with ATG 2 tank system (sold after running 150.000 ks on mainly WVO)

1993 Toyota 75 Series with 1 HDT conversion, 75l factory tank and a custom 170l under tray tank. (Retired with 680.000ks on the clock mostly running on BIO and on WVO)

2006 Landcruiser Troopcarrier 1HZ with DTS Turbo Kit, 170ltr long range tank currently not converted, running on B100

"him who never made a mistake, made no discovery either"

Comment

Originally posted by tillyfromparadise View Post
      Hi Cade,
      Yes, the 5% pre-wash is certainly counter intuitive, but it does work- I have done it before when I was water-washing my biodiesel.

The amount of yield gain will depend on the titration of the WVO.

Just a quick explanation.
      Neutral performed experiments that showed that for every 1% soap produced in the reaction, the soap will take about 2% biodiesel into the glycerin layer with it.

EXAMPLE
      WVO with a KOH titration of 2 equates to the WVO containing about 1% FFA's which, during the reaction will be converted into about 1% soap.
      This soap is of course a reduction in your yield in the order of 1%
      However, when this 1% soap settles out with the glycerine, it binds with about 2% biodiesel and the biodiesel also goes into the glycerine along with the soap.
      You then have a total loss of volume of around 3%, 1% being soap and 2% being biodiesel.
      It is some of this biodiesel that is bound with the soap that is released from the soap and returns to the biodiesel layer and so you have an increase in yield.

However, from the reading I have done, it seems that the bigger advantage of this procedure lies in a significant reduction in wash time.
      "The concept is that you add water after the reaction is complete, but before settling has started. This helps the settling process, giving a faster more complete settling. Testing has shown a 30% to 50% reduction in soaps in the unwashed biodiesel. I have seen 95% settling in as little as 30 minutes"
      http://www.make-biodiesel.org/Biodie...r-prewash.html
      Hi John, Didn't Neutral actually say that for every 2 litres of soap produced it takes 1 litre of biodiesel with it into the glycerol layer.

Comment

Hi Dgs,

Originally posted by smithy View Post
        Hi John, Didn't Neutral actually say that for every 2 litres of soap produced it takes 1 litre of biodiesel with it into the glycerol layer.
        No.

Comment

Ok fellas, I’m a convert. Did what you reckon with the 5% prewash and it worked fine. No real noticeable increase in yield though. The only thing I have found that I need the second heat cycle after the second wash to clear the fuel. Problem is I found it needs to cool down before it is subsequently heated. This means I am not yet at a stage where I can make fuel ready to use in one day. The brewer is still insulated which is essential for me to able reach temperature, but it’s a curse for cooling the brew. I turned off the heater late yesterday afternoon after the second wash, and it’s still 45 degrees now as I write this. Big Shed doors were open all night. About 10 degrees over night.

I just turned heater back on now to clear it up as per Tilly’s observations. So I can do it in 2 days, but not 1.

Very happy with my progress so far though

Comment

Hi Cade,

Originally posted by Captaincademan View Post
            Ok fellas, I’m a convert. Did what you reckon with the 5% prewash and it worked fine. No real noticeable increase in yield though.
            Yes, there is not a huge increase in yield
            This is what Neutral posted about the testing he performed with it.
            Around a 3% increase with WVO containing about 5% FFA.

"My own experiments with a fairly low grade oil of about 5% FFA showed the following:

Water %, Yield %
            __0.0_____84.4
            __3.5_____86.5
            __5.5_____87.3
            __7.5_____87.3
            _15.0_____87.0
            _20.0_____87.2

where Yield % is the weight of washed and dried fuel relative to the weight of oil used. A standard base-only reaction was done."

Comment

What if you used an old radiator with a 12v fan behind it and cycle the fuel trough it. I know it's more hardware and power consumption, but if you had a 12v pump as well, you could throw a couple of solar panels on your roof and let it do its thing.
              I bought an oil cooling system fairly cheap if eBay to cool my water for meth recovery and that seems to work pretty well.

You did say you're going HiTech
              1990 Toyota Hilux LN106 with ATG 2 tank system (sold after running 150.000 ks on mainly WVO)

1993 Toyota 75 Series with 1 HDT conversion, 75l factory tank and a custom 170l under tray tank. (Retired with 680.000ks on the clock mostly running on BIO and on WVO)

2006 Landcruiser Troopcarrier 1HZ with DTS Turbo Kit, 170ltr long range tank currently not converted, running on B100

Comment

Thats actually a pretty good idea. I think I have everything I need. As for solar, I'm pretty sure I have that licked. my existing 14 kW system should be able to handle that!!

as for hi tec, well I have progressed beyond the days of mixing with a drill and a bent bit of reo!.

Comment

Originally posted by tillyfromparadise View Post
                  Hi Dgs,

No.
                  Thank you so much John for your two letter explanation of this. I realise now it is 2 litres of biodiesel per one litre of soap.

Have no fear that I will not hesitate to contact you if I need further assistance.

Comment

So I have done another couple of batches now, and they have been quite the success.

On the last one I noted a definite reduction in by-product. probably in the order of 8-10 L out of a normal 45-50 Litres or so.

I do the pre-wash as described prior (i can only get in 10 litres of water as my mixer overflows otherwise), let that settle for maybe 30 mins, tap off the by -product and wash water, then spray in about another 10 Litres and let that settle for about 30 mins, then tap off the wash water and turn heater on to get it up to 100 degrees.

Let it cool and tap off the drop out. Then turn the heater back on again in a couple of days to get it back to 100 degrees. let it cool again and this time I have good clear fuel with a pass on water content.

I now have an old radiator to use for quick cooling, so that is the next bio project.

You know I have made many hundreds of batches and constantly made improvements over the course of doing this for 15 years. its very exciting and refreshing to learn a new process after this time.

It works great for me, and so far I see there is absolutely no need to bubble wash. heating is definitely the way to go.

I know that there is lots of people who have always washed (and have been doing so for years) that probably scoff at me not washing for that length of time, but in years gone by I could store enough fuel and let it 'wash itself' well in front of my uses. I now have 2 cars on bio full time, so that option has gone. I also thought the idea of running a bubbler for days at a time in a shed full of fuel and other very flammable products was less than ideal.

Thankyou one and all, particularly Tilly.

Comment

So I knocked up a rough radiator fan setup this arvo, I think it’s gunna work a treat. Click image for larger version

Name:	CF20C8BB-9B9D-4F59-947C-BB34A5A32972.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	94686

Zero cost. All made from scrap in my shed. Just need to make a simple stand and plumb it in.

Thanks for the the good idea Jens.

Comment

Well I managed it, and I am a happy little chappy. The radiator concept worked a treat. Saturday I plumbed up my radiator and the wash water sprayer with the flow meter / controller. Sunday morning about 7am I pumped 200 litres of cold oil into the brewer. got the batch heated and meth mixing in by 9am. prewash went in at 10am. drained off wash water around 10.45. kicked on flow meter and put in 8L. I thought I would just try a lighter wash, I will try using more water and review results in successive batches. gave it another 20 mins to settle out and tapped off the wash water. turned heater on and got it back 100 degrees. took about an hour I guess, I didnt take note of the time. now I pumped it through the radiator, and it only took 40 mins to drop the temp back to about 40 degrees. tapped off a bit more drop out. heated it back again to 100 degrees, this time it took a little longer of course as it was cooler. the temperature differential across the radiator inlet / vs outlet was a constant 15 degrees. very happy with the performance of it. cooled it down again with the radiator. tapped off a little more ugly stuff. by about 5:30pm I had the fuel washed, dried and out of the mixer, and pumped into my refueling IBC.

it passed the water test with flying colours, not even the slightest hint of water.

I must say that I am absolutley stoked with the result. I couldnt have done it without the encouragement and support of this forum. Thankyou.

I am interested to hear what volume / proportion of wash water everyone uses? I am not talking pre wash (I cannot get 12L in the brewer without over topping - about 8L is as far as I can go), I am talking a post wash volume. After the glycerine is dropped out I have plenty of room in the brewer for wash water.

Comment

Fantastic Cade.
                          That's a lot of setup for a small test batch < Wink Wink.

Now you need to draw up plans , make an eBook and list for sale for $4.99 on ebay and start getting your money back.
                          97 Jeep XJ Cherokee on B100. 0 km's on B100 and counting !!!! (Sold)
                          2002 Merc ML270 now on B100. (Sold)
                          2006 Ssangyong Musso 2.9 t idi (Sold)
                          2015 NP300 Navara ( Sold )
                          2018 NP300 Navara ( B5 )

Stainless processor with blue water pump.
                          Tetragonula Hockingsi

Take the Leap and grow wings on the way down

Comment

I like the way you think mate, but that would ruin my strategic advantage......

Whilst its all going well at the moment, I have developed a leak in my bund, which is somewhat problematic to resolve. its pretty hard to get sealants to stick to concrete blocks that are soaked in BD and waste oil. hmmm. Me thinks a massive cleanup effort is required. not looking forward to that one. that will be a complete dissasembly of the setup.

Comment

Happy to hear that it is all going well, can't wait to see the set up!

Comment

Originally posted by Captaincademan View Post
                                I like the way you think mate, but that would ruin my strategic advantage......

Whilst its all going well at the moment, I have developed a leak in my bund, which is somewhat problematic to resolve. its pretty hard to get sealants to stick to concrete blocks that are soaked in BD and waste oil. hmmm. Me thinks a massive cleanup effort is required. not looking forward to that one. that will be a complete dissasembly of the setup.
                                Can you get a liner for your bund?
                                If you need to take the setup down, it would be a good opportunity to make your bund a whole lot better.
                                Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
                                '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
                                '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
                                '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
                                '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
                                '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
                                '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
                                '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
                                '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
                                '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
                                '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
                                '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
                                '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
                                Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Working...
                                X