X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Room Temperature Biodiesel process

G'day WesleyB,
    Originally posted by WesleyB View Post
    Cement is partly calcium oxide . One molecule of water adds to one molecule of calcium oxide to make calcium hydroxide . CaO + H2O ------> Ca(OH)2 . So some water is removed from the reaction in making methoxide .
    According to the MSDS for portland cement < 90% is portland cement clinker, 3 - 8% is gypsum, 0 – 5% is limestone, 0 – 5% is GRANULATED BLAST FURNACE SLAG and a trace of CHROMIUM (VI) HEXAVALENT.
    Cement clinker which is typically 95%- 97% of Cement powder has a calcium oxide content between 0% and 1%.
    In reality there is very little or no Calcium oxide in portland cement

Comment

I looked in a Condensed Chemical Dictionary giving , Portland Cement - A type of hydraulic cement in the form of finely divided grey powder composed of lime , alumina , silica and iron oxide as tetracalcium aluminoferrate ... I found a internet reference to cement saying lime is about 57% of cement . I worked in a cement factory once , stacking warm bags of cement emerging from a furnace on a conveyor belt . The ground material is passed through a natural gas flame making lime from lime stone . I used technical grade calcium oxide in making the methoxide solution before making room temperature biodiesel , I didn't use cement . Lime is calcium oxide . I believe using cement was suggested by Dr. Mark Imisides .

Comment

G'day WesleyB,
        I found a internet reference to cement saying lime is about 57% of cement
        Please provide a url to the website that said lime is about 57% of cement.
        This MSDS http://www.adelaidebrighton.com.au/a...CEMENT_SDS.pdf1 for Portland Cement gives the ingredients as:
        PORTLAND CEMENT CLINKER < 90% 65997-15-1
        *GYPSUM CaSO4 2H2O 3 - 8% 10101-41-4
        *LIMESTONE CaCO3 0 – 5% 1317-65-3
        *GRANULATED BLAST FURNACE SLAG 0 – 5% 65996-69-2
        CHROMIUM (VI) HEXAVALENT Cr6+ Trace 18540-29-9
        *NOTE: Ingredient may contain crystalline silica (CAS No. 14808-60-7).

This MSDS for Portland Cement Clinker https://www.holcim.bg/sites/bulgaria...clinker_en.pdf
        Tricalcium silicate CaO.SiO2 Typical concentration 63% Range from 0% – 85%
        Dicalcium silicate 2CaO.SiO2 Typical Concentration 15% Range from 0% - 85%
        Tetracalcium aluminoferrite 4CaO.Al2O3.Fe2O3 Typical concentration 10% Range from 0% – 30%
        Tricalcium aluminate 3CaO.Al2O3 Typical Concentration 10% Range from 0% – 20%
        Calcium oxide (free lime) CaO Typical concentration 1% Range from 0% - 10%

I think I will stand with my original observation, there is not much if any Calcium Oxide in Cement

I used technical grade calcium oxide in making the methoxide solution before making room temperature biodiesel
        The procedure being discussed calls for Cement not technical grade calcium oxide They are not the same thing.
        As I recall you also made room temperature biodiesel just using the normal procedure with no magical ingredients.
        tillyfromparadise
        Last edited by tillyfromparadise; 4 January 2021, 03:41 PM.

Comment

I don't know what a URL is . I used the yahoo.com search engine with words cement composition . Then scrolled down to see a listing showing cement is 57% calcium oxide (lime) . Yes I did make biodiesel at room temperature using potassium hydroxide only to make the methoxide solution , at room temperature . I don't remember how long I stirred it . I've got several lab notebooks , I usually write what I do in experiments . If the proceedure uses cement then using technical grade calcium oxide and caustic is novel , a possible improvement for industrial scale biodiesel production . When I made biodiesel at room temperature using calcium oxide and potassium hydroxide to make the methoxide/methanol solution , as I mixed the oil and methoxide solution there was a quick color change . There's no magic involved . It's plain chemistry .

Comment

G'day WesleyB;
            I don't know what a URL is .
            "WHAT IS A URL AND WHERE IS IT LOCATED
            A uniform resource locator (URL) is basically what you would call the website address. It's a text string that refers the user to a location of a web page or another resource (such as a program or a graphic document). Surfing the web, you can always see the URL of the currently opened page in the browser's address bar."
            This is the URL for the page I coppied this information, just click on the URL: https://www.bitdegree.org/learn/unif...source-locator

I used the yahoo.com search engine with words cement composition . Then scrolled down to see a listing showing cement is 57% calcium oxide (lime) .
            While it is true that Calcium oxide is a large percent of the ingredients for producing cement, the resulting cement produced contains virtually no Calcium oxide.
            As an example, roughly 80% of what goes into a biodiesel reactor is triglycerides. If all goes well, the resulting finished biodiesel produced will contain well under 1% triglycerides.
            tillyfromparadise
            Last edited by tillyfromparadise; 6 January 2021, 02:15 AM.

Comment

i do ambient reactions to make my biodiesel most of the time. Why we are getting mixed up with drying methoxide with cement and ambient reactions I don't know. There is absolutely no need to add the cement at all, the reaction will continue as normal without it. The biggest drawback with ambient reactions is the length of time the glycerol takes to drop.

I have used Calcium Oxide to dry the methoxide several times and yes, it does work in that the yield is increased and very little potassium soap is formed but if you make a mistake and add the methoxide without the cement or calcium oxide fines being totally settled you can be in trouble by producing calcium soaps ( giving the snowstorm effect) they are insoluble in water and are difficult to remove. it is such a 'prat on' using the cement it isn't worth bothering with.

Comment

G'day smithy, it has been a long time,
                Originally posted by smithy;67329[SIZE=4
                i do ambient reactions to make my biodiesel most of the time. Why we are getting mixed up with drying methoxide with cement and ambient reactions I don't know.
                Exactly! Apparently there is a chemist (PhD) who does not understand this very basic fact about making biodiesel.

There is absolutely no need to add the cement at all, the reaction will continue as normal without it.
                This is amazing, you and I actually agree on something.

Hooroo, Tilly
                tillyfromparadise
                Last edited by tillyfromparadise; 26 January 2021, 06:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tillyfromparadise View Post
                  G'day smithy, it has been a long time,Exactly! Apparently there is a chemist (PhD) who does not understand this very basic fact about making biodiesel.

This is amazing, you and I actually agree on something.

Hooroo, Tilly
                  OMG Tilly, one of us is going loopy with old age, I hope its not me!
                  smithy
                  Last edited by smithy; 28 January 2021, 02:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X