Mazda Capella Supercharged conversion to manual trans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mazda Capella Supercharged conversion to manual trans

Have just done this with not too many hitches except motor mounts under and over the trans are different AND the r.h. drive shaft is exactly the right size but the stabilising brace is too long and doesn't sit flat on the block although the boltholes look correct if they could somehow miraculously come together properly. Is there a difference between axles for a manual vehicle vs auto?? and if so does anyone have a suitable halfshaft kicking about? Or a left rear motor mount?
    Thanks
    GS

Re: Mazda Capella Supercharged conversion to manual trans

Originally posted by gsmiley View Post
    Have just done this with not too many hitches except motor mounts under and over the trans are different AND the r.h. drive shaft is exactly the right size but the stabilising brace is too long and doesn't sit flat on the block although the boltholes look correct if they could somehow miraculously come together properly. Is there a difference between axles for a manual vehicle vs auto?? and if so does anyone have a suitable halfshaft kicking about? Or a left rear motor mount?
    Thanks
    GS
    That model was my first Fatmobile.
    Sorry, I cannot help with your question as I never swapped the transmission, only the engine. Mine had the 5speed manual transmission.
    Mine was a non-supercharged 1990 station wagon. After losing coolant due to insufficiently tightened coolant line to my fuel heater (running on animal fat), I replaced the engine with a supercharged one.
    I had a boost gauge on it and it was running max boost whenever above 1500rpm. This caused the head bots to stretch and lose compression, and leaking oil. I found that the actuator to control the boost was frozen at the max boost position.

Tony
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Originally posted by Tony From West Oz View Post
      That model was my first Fatmobile.
      Sorry, I cannot help with your question as I never swapped the transmission, only the engine. Mine had the 5speed manual transmission.
      Mine was a non-supercharged 1990 station wagon. After losing coolant due to insufficiently tightened coolant line to my fuel heater (running on animal fat), I replaced the engine with a supercharged one.
      I had a boost gauge on it and it was running max boost whenever above 1500rpm. This caused the head bots to stretch and lose compression, and leaking oil. I found that the actuator to control the boost was frozen at the max boost position.

Tony

But I don't suppose this is still out there in your paddock with the rh axle in it. Its not bad keeping these things around you know to just go out and sit there for quiet reflection. There has to be one out there somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by gsmiley View Post
        But I don't suppose this is still out there in your paddock with the rh axle in it. Its not bad keeping these things around you know to just go out and sit there for quiet reflection. There has to be one out there somewhere.
        Sorry, didn't have a paddock back then. Sold it to another Capella enthusiast. he fixed the problems and got it back on the road again.
        Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
        '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
        '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
        '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
        '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
        '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
        '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
        '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
        '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
        '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
        '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
        '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
        '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
        Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Working...
        X