Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weird Starting Issue with 2.8TD Rodeo - 1997

Re: Weird Starting Issue with 2.8TD Rodeo - 1997

I think Qwarla and Rodeo Nick are right on the money. In the past I have had similar issues, and it mostly related to air in the fuel system. use the clear hose technique championed by myself and others, and I think you will be surprised at how many bubbles are in the fuel line.

First port of call when you have misfiring, poor starting or low power should be checking for filters blocked and air in the line.

Hi everyone,
    I too have a Rodeo 96 model 2.8TD,when I first bought it it had a tad under 300000kms and a leaking injector pump,but I didn't know that at the time.I bought it in Feb and I found coming into winter I was getting the hard start and white smoke symptoms,only in the mornings.It would even stall within 1-2 km from leaving home.
    The clear hose test is spot on.I bought mine from bunnings 8mm dia.Its the reinforced hose (120psi) I think,in the water fittings isle.I started with one piece at the injector pump and day by day worked my way back.
    One thing that you can do to eliminate if air is your problem or not,in the morning before you start ( if it can sustain some idle if not get two people) pop the bonnet,start it up and get some one to pump the **** out of the diaphragm pump on your water trap,if pumping improves the idle and smoke then air is your problem.
    As a point of interest my original diaphragm pump was leaking aswell as the injector pump,you can test components ie:Water trap,fuel filter housing by putting light air pressure (5-7 psi) and have a pressure gauge at the other end.
    Hope this helps you and is not old information.
    The previous postings of other people are great and would trust this forum/peoples info over a lot of the local diesel mechanics.

Cheers
    Pete
    P.S I would upload a couple of photos of my CAV filter butget a invalid image error?????
    96 Dual Cab Rodeo B100% since Jan 2011

Diesel engines are "compression ignition" not "glo plug ignition". If the engine will only start with application of the glo plugs when hot it is missing only one thing - sufficient compression at cranking speed to promote combustion. Forget about air, forget about fuel, the only thing that changes with the use of the glo plugs is the temperature in the pre-combustion chamber [which will then be high enough to allow the engine to start and and reach sufficient speed to build enough compression to continue to run]. This leaves two possibilities, low cranking speed or low compression. Most diesel engines requires a minimum of around 300 psi to reach combustion temperature.
    The history of the engine in question is typical of an engine that has been slowly loseing compression. If the cause of the compression loss is piston related - worn or siezed rings - engine runaway is probably not too far away!
    Last edited by 250downunder; 10th February 2012 at 09:57 PM.

hey folks. Thanks 4 the feedback. I now strongly suspect compression issue. We chekd timing etc and now we cant get the motor to fire. The engine was getting harder to start, was very rattly in the last few weeks and always needed glow plug heat to start. I suspect among other things maybe unknowinglythaving the glow plugs on may hav contributed. Hard to say. Wil b confirmed mon. Bugger as only 150k on the motor. Fb

You got news, Farm Boy? What did you find inside that long suffering engine??

gday 250,

the mechanic couldnt get there till the weekend, but i have decided to let the car go in peace. the body has racked up over 400k and i really suspect the rings are gone in the motor. I didnt link the two but about the time the car started to really play up - it had a really bad oil leak from the front crankshaft. Im told thats a tell tale sign of compression problems???

Anyway Ill get the verdict over the weekend but it wont matter - im letting the poor bugger go. Time to move on and upwards and look for a 21st century vehicle.

Heard some stories about the 4jb1 that the motors dont tend to go the journey (ring problems are common..). maybe i got a lemon or maybe i contributed through my lack of understanding of the GP circuit.
    Thanks for the feedback fellas

FB

"Common rail & Biodiesel" should be on your research list when looking for a more modern vehicle.

Farmboy,
    you said " Bugger as only 150k on the motor. Fb " and " the body has racked up over 400k "
    Question is when you replaced the engine did you get it from the wreckers or was it rebulit/reco?

I' curious for an engine to have only 150K on it,compression issues would be an odd occurance to have compared to air in the fuel.
    Sorry just my 2 cents as I have the same motor and am always learning.

Cheers
    Pete
    96 Dual Cab Rodeo B100% since Jan 2011

hi pete,
    the mech couldnt make it again this weekend (sigh) but hopefullysoon.

I suspect possible overfuelling may have contributed to my problems. It pays to get this stuff professionally done and not attempt to do it yourself. Thats where I reckon the problem has come from. I dont think a bio issue just silly mistakes on my behalf and not getting it professionally looked at.

As I said I will be looking to get myself a early 2000 hilux or similar as I just think in general the toyotas are a good choice. My old man has racked up nearly 250000km on bio on his ute.
    Cheers
    FB