Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HZJ75 - I want to be SVO enabled...

Re: HZJ75 - I want to be SVO enabled...

I'm amazed it took so long for someone to mention Biodiesel! Thankfully that suspense is now over and I can continue on with life...

Seriously though, I may well investigate Bio when I return home from travelling, though at the moment i'm setting up to go around oz – and I can't do Biodiesel on the road.
    Though If I end up having a successful SVO setup, I don't see any real benefits in moving to Bio.

Quote Originally Posted by Aesk_HZJ75 View Post
    I'm amazed it took so long for someone to mention Biodiesel!
    I think the reason is that most biodiesel users have so few problems that they just get on with their life and leave the SVO users to suffer their trials and tribulations by themselves.
    When I feel like a bit of light entertainment, I go read the SVO forums to see what the latest disasters are.

If I end up having a successful SVO setup, I don't see any real benefits in moving to Bio.
    Indeed. IF...

PS
    If you make it to Paradise I will give you 200 litres of very nice well settled WVO to help you on your way.
    Last edited by tillyfromparadise; 3rd April 2013 at 07:01 PM.

So close, yet so far.
    I'm almost a month into travelling, trying to finish off the SVO stuff as I go, I thought I would've had this done by now.

I reran all the fuel lines, moving the original solenoids up into the engine bay. I have added in the fuel vaccum and temperature sensors and everything is hooked up and almost done.

The front SVO/diesel tank has 12.5mm hose going straight to a 30 plate FPHE, then to the CAV and onto the main supply solenoids before the IP. I have the return solenoid looping the SVO tank and returning the diesel - for now I just have diesel in both tanks and am always returning to the rear tank.

I think I have a vacuum leak on the SVO line, though i'd like some help diagnosing where my problem may be..
    When I run on the rear tank (dedicated diesel, default tank) everything runs correctly, the vacuum reads near 0 at idle and moves a bit with revs. When I flick the switch to the front tank the gauge moves towards -1 (hg i'm assuming) and survives idle but shudders at 2000 revs. I flick it back to the rear tank and it clears - all good again.

I have checked and redone all connections several times (even removing the hand primer) and they all appear to be solid. I'm now wondering if there could be another cause. Is it possible the plugged return on the SVO tank or higher bore fuel lines could causing any issues?

I'm a little stumped, I even ran the tank straight to the solenoid, no change.

Any ideas, or suggestions from other cruiser/1hz owners?

The stock supply solenoid appears to have been faulty, I have just replaced it with a new one and this problem disappeared. No more stuttering and vacuum gauge doesn't even read when on the vege tank at 2500 rpm, meaning the higher bore lines and shorter line lengths appear to be taking the load off the pump.

I also hooked up the return/loop solenoid and went for a drive, after a minute or so I got the same stuttering, so i'm not sure if this is an air leak that gets trapped in the loop or another faulty solenoid, essentially blocking the line out from the IP.

My feeling is both original solenoids are no good - I will test further tomorrow.

I'm a bit lost with what's what on this long thread.

What is different between the two lines?
    Yes it could be the stock solenoids. They're not regarded as very reliable on WVO.
    Is the CAV filter, also used by many biodiesel users on the circuit with the problem? If it is, then you have likely fallen foul of the common problem of not reinstalling all the O Rings correctly.

Once you get a gut full of air, it's hard to get rid of it in a looped setup. A bit like being in sleeping bag after a meal of pea and ham soup, where does it all come from?

It may be time to start installing some clear plastic fuel lines to help your diagnosis. And also a completely separate fuel container that supplies the IP direct and also returns to the jerry can. This will rule out an air leak coming from the IP.

Just don't leave the clear lines in place as permanent, it's just temporary for problem solving.

Tim
    Toyota Landcruiser 1988 HJ61 Manual Wagon
    12H-T turbo Direct Injection.
    Twin Tank setup runs on 100% WVO after warm up. 30 plate FPHE with 80C output, 12mm fuel lines
    Start up and shut down electric fuel pump feeds IP direct.
    Front 4WDSytstems Lokka, Rear ARB airlokka for quick escapes up sandhills. Performance GTurbo with 600mm FMIC gives 450nm @ 1700rpm at 20psi boost.

As Tony suggested, either all the heat exchangers will be in parallel, or the two 30's will be connected in series. The 10 plate is definitely on its own, so as to not restrict flow, the primary SVO 30 plate before the water one if they go on the same line, as I imagine i'd only really be using one of them at a time. I'm looking at getting a couple of 3/4" ball valves, so that I can shut off or restrict flow through the HE's. Probably not necessary, but it allows me to adjust the temperature coming out of the 10 plate (in case it's too hot)
    You can NEVER get your oil too hot with a coolant powered heat exchanger - or three. The maximum temperature will equal the coolant temperature, it cannot get any hotter than this. Most of the time this will be 80 degrees, sometimes rising to 100 degrees. These temperatures are just fine for the regular components we use, and certainly not a problem for the WVO.

It IS useful to have a tap on the coolant side so you can turn off the coolant when you are running 100 per cent diesel, or even biodiesel. There is no need to heat these fuels, and super hot diesel may not have great lubricosity.

Tim
    Toyota Landcruiser 1988 HJ61 Manual Wagon
    12H-T turbo Direct Injection.
    Twin Tank setup runs on 100% WVO after warm up. 30 plate FPHE with 80C output, 12mm fuel lines
    Start up and shut down electric fuel pump feeds IP direct.
    Front 4WDSytstems Lokka, Rear ARB airlokka for quick escapes up sandhills. Performance GTurbo with 600mm FMIC gives 450nm @ 1700rpm at 20psi boost.

Just confirming your setup (maybe a diagram would be a good idea) ? DO you have your 30 Plate FPHE before your CAV filter ? You will lose a lot of heat doing this - you are far better off putting the 10 plate FPHE before the CAV to warm the oil to go through the CAV, and then have the 30 plate FPHE just before the IP and shared by both fuels - if you are going to run straight diesel then either cut off coolant flow to the 30 plate or add some small amount of WVO to your Diesel to provide the extra lubrication.

Also you might want to do some real world temp measuring of each of your FPHE - fluid dynamics is a complex field and just because you put two FPHE in parallel does not mean that fluid will flow equally through them. You WILL NEED to have a control tap on both of them to balance up the flow.

Craig
    Holden Suburban K2500 1998 6.5L Turbo GM engine
    210,000KMs (90,000 on new crate motor)

Currently 2 tanks in and working - 90 litre BIO tank and main tank of 160L WVO

30 plate FPHE in Engine bay and Helton Dual coil in rear
    Walbro FRB-5 pusher pumps x 2

50,000KM on Veg and 10,000Km on B100

Seems to me your biggest error is over complication.
    The simpler you keep things, the less to go wrong. I realise you are just following the traditional advise given but once (if) you carry on with WVO you will come to realise that these vehicles will run just fine with the minimum if any modification. The more solenoids, heat exchangers, filters and other things you put on, the more air leak and problem potential you have.

How many Hose clamps are in your system? 30? 40? More? each one of those is a potential problem point and at least 50% of them are capable of stopping your Vehicle in it's tracks or worse still, making the thing run like a dog. You are then left trying to work out which clamp ( or clampS) is causing the grief or if its a bit of hose, a filter, or a heat exchanger that has blocked or got a leak.
    If I were traveling doing long runs and away from Home, I sure as hell would be keeping things to the simplest arrangement possible.

Tillyfromparadise is correct in people using biodiesel don't tend to add all these failure points to their vehicles, they keep them the way they were made and the failure points to a minimum. For WVO use, blending is far and away the best way to go even if it hasn't gained the popularity of the sheeple the way complicating things to the max has. As far as I'm concerned, the need for startup and shut down on Diesel is a fallacy and the cost and complication of a 2 tank system is not near worth the bit extra it MIGHT cost to run blends and do away with all the failure points. I have had several 2 tank systems and currently run my own distilled fuel ( NOT Bio) and there is no way I'd have hoses and vales and multiple heat exchangers making a nightmare under the bonnet and anyones guess as to what is causing a problem when they ocour with gauranteed certainty.

I guess once you get brainwashed reading of all the complication people tell you is necessary to get your vehicle to work reliably, it's hard to believe anything else. If you ever get really stuck and end up putting a drum of oil in the front seat with a couple of hoses and nothing in between the engine but a filter and see how well the thing runs and all your problems disappear, You'll know not to believe everything you read and the simpler you keep things, the better.

I don't expect my rant will prompt your to rethink what you have been lead to believe, but one day if you see the light for yourself, at least you can't say no one ever told you. :0)

Hi Aesek,
    So close, yet so far.
    I'm almost a month into travelling, trying to finish off the SVO stuff as I go, I thought I would've had this done by now.
    I would have been absolutely amazed if you had been capable of getting your system up and running in the the time you had left. I thought your timeline was very unrealistic.

While it is true I have never attempted to install an SVO system in my car, I have read quite a bit about other peoples SVO systems.
    The one thing that sticks in my mind is how complicated many of them are.
    Extra fuel tanks, filters, Solenoids, heat exchangers as well as extra fuel hoses and water hoses running everywhere. I am sure many people find it very satisfying to be able to design and fabricate all of this and then actually make it work. It just sounds like a nightmare to me.
    And to top it all off, if most of your driving is normally just running around town like I do, you probably can not use the SVO system anyway because the oil has not heated enough.

The one big difference I have noticed about the discussions in the respective forums is that while on the Biodiesel forum the discussions are usually about something to do with making or testing biodiesel, the discussions on SVO forums are often about sorting out why the car is not running.

I wish you all the best in sorting out this SVO system.
    If you make it to Paradise I will give you 100 litres of biodiesel or if your SVO system is working the 200 litres of WVO is still availiable.

I must admit without seeing a diagram it's not going to be easy to offer much help. I recommend before anyone spends a dollar on a VO setup they should post up their proposed idea/diagram so the experienced here can point at potential issues, offer another (reliable) way of achieving the goal etc etc. My first VO setup was super simple (one 3 way valve, looped) and worked first go. No air leaks, nothing. Second time around I tried being clever and spent hours finding leaks. Lets see a diagram. Draw it in pen and take a photo of it with your phone at worse.