Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: HZJ75 - I want to be SVO enabled...

Re: HZJ75 - I want to be SVO enabled...

Firstly, thanks to all for your input, it's great to see decent discussions happening on forums such as this.

For some reason I couldn't upload an image, keeps giving me "this is not a valid image file" - this was using jpg's and pngs. You can see it here http://www.aeski.net/wvo-diagram.pdf

I'm pretty sure it's not going to be too hard to trace the remaining problem, I'll hook up just the return loop and run diesel from the main tank, if the same issue continues I know it's either one of a few connections in front of me (not likely) or the return is at fault (solenoid or leak). Unfortunately I've had to fly back to Hobart for a couple of weeks work, so I won't get to test it until about the 20th of this month.

Peter, i'm no mechanic, but I don't consider this to be over complicating things, if it weren't for the sensors (which I feel are very much worth having), there is no change to the main diesel tank lines - just moved solenoids. In fact even the WVO line has less hose clamps now than it did stock (mix of steel and rubber lines), leaving the only additional failure point being the heat exchangers, where I wanted one for hot water anyway. With this setup I should be able to have diesel in both tanks if I want (being able to switch off the FPHE with the ball valve), constant vacuum and temp readings for diagnostics, short purge times and it fails back to diesel if there is an issue with the WVO line.

It might also be worth noting that the troopy has two factory fitted 90L tanks, so all of the infrastructure was really already in place. If it weren't for a faulty solenoid (maybe two) and I hooked up the return to the WVO tank it probably would have worked first go.

Craig, I do have the 30 plate before the CAV, I had ordered a 10 plate to go after the CAV, though it never arrived. Though you may be right in that it would be better to use the 10 pre-filter and 30 post. If i'm not getting the results/heat I need, i'll just use the second 30 plate for post filter WVO and get another for the hot water. I also need to wrap it all up in some insulation.

Tilly, the process of getting my hands dirty, covered in diesel and coolant and the learned patience and knowledge from the whole process I consider to be just as important as the end result, I have learnt so much and will continue to do so. Besides you learn quicker from failures than successes I find! I look forward to collecting some WVO off you .

Tim, I did originally run a few lengths of clear hosing, though I found them rather stiff and hard to work with. While I was chasing my tail looking for a non-existent vacuum leak I removed them in favour for some rubber lines. Maybe I'll put a bit back in.

Definitely horses for courses.

Cheers,
    Kit
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Tony From West Oz; 4th June 2013 at 01:27 AM.

Kit,
    The CAV filter is on the suction side of the fuel pump.
    In this configuration, you WILL get air leaks into the veg fuel system if the filter is not correctly assembled, especially if the O rings are not in the right places (including the O ring on the assembly bolt) another potential source of air is at the Banjo fittings which must be tight and have soft copper washers on both sides of the Banjo.

Temporarily adding a small electric pump to the fuel suction line before the filter will show any fuel leaks out of the filter and assist in sealing the filter correctly. This should be done with the engine off and the system set to diesel, so that you are only pressurising the filter and FPHE.
    Once you have sealed the WVO side, then remove the electric pump and run the engine and when hot change over to Veggie oil.

Please keep us informed of your progress.

Regards,
    Tony

ps, this site has issues with attachments. It currently only accepts .pdf files. I attached your diagram to your post. TFWO
    Last edited by Tony From West Oz; 4th June 2013 at 01:29 AM.
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab. [Head gasket blew!]

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Kit,
    Don't worry about any more FPHE until you have solved the air leak issue. I doubt that you will lose enough heat to make a big difference to the IP. In my opinion, the viscosity of the oil passing thru the filter is the main issue. If the oil is liquid, the inline IP will happily pump it to the injectors.

Regards,
    Tony
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab. [Head gasket blew!]

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Sorry for the long time between updates, we're now heading north of Alice Springs up towards Darwin.

A couple of weeks ago we started dumping some of our not-quite cold filtered into the tank, it clearly had some fats sitting at the surface. Initially we ran 1/5 SVO to Diesel, then 2/5 now we're about 50/50 and can't tell the difference when switching between tanks, in fact it seems my fuel economy has improved considerably (fats?). My temperature gauge is giving pretty stable temps between 50 and 60 when running through the heated line - all of which still needs to be insulated.

To quickly get around my air leak issues and because I'd already hooked up the looping line and had a spare solenoid, I just added the extra solenoid in and made a new return to the SVO tank (to purge air down). Three solenoids wired to three switches, I can now manually select supply tank, return tank and loop - in any combination. This means that if I find that say a 50/50 mix works best I can just run on Diesel for a few km's pumping it back down the return to the SVO tank until my levels are where I want them.

I have just now flicked over to looping the blended tank and it runs fine: reduces the vacuum a little and doesn't seem to be taking air any more! I'm just going to keep dumping the SVO in the tank until I notice a performance difference.

I'll keep you posted when I have more results, but so far everything seems to be running great!

Hi Kit,
    just to clear things up, do you mean that before you added the not quite cold filtered oil to the tank you had been running on 100 SVO in your system or do you mean this was your first effort to run on SVO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aesk_HZJ75 View Post
    Sorry for the long time between updates, we're now heading north of Alice Springs up towards Darwin.
    A couple of weeks ago we started dumping some of our not-quite cold filtered into the tank, it clearly had some fats sitting at the surface. Initially we ran 1/5 SVO to Diesel, then 2/5 now we're about 50/50 and can't tell the difference when switching between tanks, in fact it seems my fuel economy has improved considerably (fats?). My temperature gauge is giving pretty stable temps between 50 and 60 when running through the heated line - all of which still needs to be insulated.

Tilly, the not quite cold filtered oil was the first attempt to run on the SVO.

It seems I spoke to soon and that my loop is now taking air again, I know it's in front of the supply solenoid as it takes air on both diesel and svo lines. I'll get to the bottom of that one shortly. I'm currently running about 75% SVO and my highway temps are now showing about 70c (probably just because it's hotter outside).

Wow, time flies on the road, I had no idea it had been this long between updates - I really thought i'd posted more recently.

We have now been running on 100% SVO for nearly 9000km's and I thought it would be a good time to share some of the experience. Since the SVO system has been working we've been able to find enough oil to run at all times - we once ran out of oil and had to drive 40km's to Jabiru on diesel, where a restaurant generously gave us 180 litres to fill us back up.

With a few minor bugs here and there, i've been fairly happy with the system, although when doing long (full tank / 90l / 600km) drives, the drying and filtering to replenish the tank can be a bit tiresome.

Since leaving the Kimberley and heading south i've noticed a drop in running SVO temps (5c outside drop equating to roughly a 10c drop), which i'll attempt to address shortly using an old wetsuit as insulation.

Initially I started out with dumping in oil on top of diesel, which I soon realised wasn't necessary and the troopy happily ran on 100% SVO with no noticeable performance difference. In fact it seems I'm getting better fuel economy when running SVO. Since i've only had it running north of Alice Springs, it's obviously quite probable i'll run into issues back in Hobart if I don't improve the heating and insulation.

Having no prior mechanical experience or knowledge, I'd say the single biggest hurdle for me was working with all the plumbing. Starting with 2 hose diameters (supply and return) and then adding in heat exchangers, filters, additional solenoids, higher bore fuel lines and all the fittings to match was a challenge. That coupled with making all this work in confined space of an engine bay I found doable, but not nearly as neatly or compact as i'd have liked.

Getting to know how to go about troubleshooting issues was another learning curve. I'd definitely say temperature and vacuum gauges helped a lot here and would recommend them to anyone setting up an SVO system. I ended up having two faulty solenoids (both reused stock) and a faulty hand primer that really threw me for a while.

Having separate tanks for diesel and SVO and making these as isolated from one another has also made life easier when there has been an issue. I just flick back to diesel to clear to the fault and drive to some place shady to fix it. If it doesn't clear the fault, it can only be one of a couple of hose connections to check.

My CAV filter gave me a couple of issues, the mentioned primer and more recently the large rubber O-ring on the assembly bolt started to disintegrate, I think because of the heat and perhaps over tightening. This part isn't supplied with new filters, so I ended up using heat tolerant gasket silicone to reinforce it (bush fix).

We are now heading down the West Coast, before heading back towards Tassie – hopefully on SVO all the way home. I'm certainly still learning a lot and working out better ways of doing things but for now the system is reliable and we have been able to explore oz on SVO. This Troopy is SVO enabled.

If anyone's interested, I can post up a diagram of the final system and a photo of the (not so tidy) setup.

For those interested, that second 30 plate FPHE I installed is more than enough for a hot water at 17L / minute (we turn it down via ball valve to shower).
    Last edited by Aesk_HZJ75; 23rd September 2013 at 01:46 AM. Reason: Weird double spacing.

Good to hear your system is working for you!!! The "learning" curve can be quite harsh sometimes :-) I remember when I started a few years back, something would happen and I just thought "bugger what have I done, I have ruined the car" cold sweat and the like :-) now its, "ah the fuel filter is blocked, switch to diesel, change it when we get home" :-) Thanks to the haynes repair manual I am quite familiar with the old Hilux now. These manuals are extremely handy, anyway enjoy your travels keep us updated and maybe post some pic? Have fun!
    1990 Toyota Hilux LN106 with ATG 2 tank system (sold after running 150.000 ks on mainly WVO)

1993 Toyota 75 Series with 1 HDT conversion, 75l factory tank and a custom 170l under tray tank. (Retired with 680.000ks on the clock mostly running on BIO and on WVO)

2006 Landcruiser Troopcarrier 1HZ with DTS Turbo Kit, 170ltr long range tank currently not converted, running on B100

"him who never made a mistake, made no discovery either"

Well done! Yes lets see some photos and a diagram.
    Looks like you have come across most of the SVO demons: Solenoid failure, hand primer failure, CAV filter issues.
    Next on the list is the SVO tank ozidising up and blocking up the system!
    Regarding the cold weather, I can tell you my last trip to Vic a month ago when it was really cold brought me undone. Very rough idle, smoke bellowing out the tail pipe. Temp guage would have been nice to measure fuel temp haha. So yes, watch out for the cold!

Give us a call when you get into the Perth area. We're having a bonnets up display/BBQ/AGM on Oct 13th. Send me a PM with your contact details if you're interested. Limoman has cleaned me out to fuel up the Flying Brick, but I'm sure others have some oil for you. See his thread for places to get oil in the north west. You said you're on the coast, but he found Auski, east of Karajini, had a good stash available.

Tim
    Toyota Landcruiser 1988 HJ61 Manual Wagon
    12H-T turbo Direct Injection.
    Twin Tank setup runs on 100% WVO after warm up. 30 plate FPHE with 80C output, 12mm fuel lines
    Start up and shut down electric fuel pump feeds IP direct.
    Front 4WDSytstems Lokka, Rear ARB airlokka for quick escapes up sandhills. Performance GTurbo with 600mm FMIC gives 450nm @ 1700rpm at 20psi boost.